Realistic deapth on Delta 4000 in high mineral ground

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would say yes but thats just a guess. Many many things effect machines and depth. Ground conditions, presence of EMI, amount of discrimination, other targets in ground. The list goes on and on and on.

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I had to sideline for awhile, too much quarreling, brand defensiveness, and seeing certain people waging war on others. It got to be too silly for me after awhile..
Primary Interest:
Other
In high mineral soil (high magnetite or hematite or salt) don't expect 8" if your life depended on it. You can get up to 8" in sawdust or wood chips, but that's the end of it. People who live in a different world, mostly east of the Rocky Mountains think otherwise, but that's just a dream, not reality. Usually most detectors top out around 6" in the far west but sometimes they can get 7" in a very few isolated places. The absolute top dog expensive detectors on this side of the US gain from 1" to 2" over the 6 or so inches, but that is very rare. In Texas or Ohio you might achieve 8-9" because the iron content is roughly half what it is over here.

I'm not exactly sure why someone hasn't told you that yet, most decent, well-experienced detectorists know that already.

Oh, and BTW I used to live in Ridgefield and I've detected in Oregon and Washington for almost 40 years.

LL

woof!

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2010
ciudadano del universo, residente de El Paso TX
Detector(s) used
BS detector
Primary Interest:
Other
"Depth" is one of those things that "all depends". It's like asking how long your commute will be, depending on what car you buy. It all depends, it really does, not that the car itself is irrelevant.

Without agreeing or disagreeing with any specific particular of Lucky Larry's post, I agree with the general picture he's painted.

Regarding the Delta, it's long on basic performance and limited on features. I say that it's the best machine in its price class, and a lot of other people say so too.

--Dave J.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
FOR HIGH MINERAL AREAS , PLEASE DO YOURSELF A FAVOR --- SAVE UP YOUR DOUGH AND GET A "MANUALLY GROUND BALANCIBLE MACHINE " OR YOU WILL REGERT IT MOST LIKELY.

MOVE UP TO THE GAMMA * IT COST MORE YES BUT IT IS * MANUALLY GROUND BALANCIBLE

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I had to sideline for awhile, too much quarreling, brand defensiveness, and seeing certain people waging war on others. It got to be too silly for me after awhile..
Primary Interest:
Other
In case you ever get to Newberg, Oregon, the soil seems to be uncommonly lacking in hematite or magnetite there. Other detectorists I've known through the years have told me the same thing. I don't think it's fill dirt there - because the sidewalk strips and other places nearby are low in Fe too. If you really want to test your metal detector some day though, try using it on Puget Sound salt/high iron beaches. That's a real eye-opener, especially in all-metal. ;D

Yes Dave, and that's exactly why I used the terms; "mostly", usually", "most", "very few", "very rare", "might", and "roughly".

Ciao,

LL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions