Really BIG Bullets, Cannon ordinance ?

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
Was searching around a old home site that dates to the 1850's today, there is a old outdoor chimney type thing way out back near the woods, well I was searching around it and noticed there was a cavity in the furnace thingy, reached in and felt something cold, went to grab it but I could'nt really lift it with one hand, so I had remove a few old bricks, to get them out.
Biggest damn bullets I have ever seen, the big one must weigh 50 pounds, and the little one maybe 35 pounds, the smaller of the 2 has, it looks like brass rifling.
I do not have a camera, so I will do the best I can with my crappy phone.
View attachment 862935
View attachment 862936
View attachment 862937
View attachment 862938
View attachment 862939

Also found this silver what-is-it
View attachment 862940

Any ideas on them bullets, I would really appreciate it, I cannot find anything close to them.

Mike

Upvote 5

bobby5

Jun 19, 2012
TEXAS
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, AT Pro, Garrett Propointer, Garrett Carrot, Several Older Garrett Detectors and a Bounty Hunter.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think those could still Explode.......

bobby5

Jun 19, 2012
TEXAS
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, AT Pro, Garrett Propointer, Garrett Carrot, Several Older Garrett Detectors and a Bounty Hunter.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hopefully someone will chime in and let you know, pretty quick.

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Without EXACT measurements of their diameter, I'm guessing you have a 55mm and a 90mm projectile there. I had to measure a pack of smokes and approximate. Those are base fused shells and could potentially be high explosive shells. It would be a good idea to have an expert check them out.

Beeps in my sleep

Sep 6, 2013
Shippensburg, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000, Fisher F2, Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
those both have hammer holes in them and they didn't go off! If I were you I would contact the police or bomb squad. Civil war explosives still go off. Be careful with those!

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
those both have hammer holes in them and they didn't go off! If I were you I would contact the police or bomb squad. Civil war explosives still go off. Be careful with those!

The holes in the base are the fuses. A close up of those would also be helpful. It's very likely they are fired practice rounds, a photo of the fuses would help clear that up

OP
OP
BC1969

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
the big one at its widest is just slightly bigger than 3 1/2 inches, is the bottom scale on a tape measure millimeters ? in that size its exactly 9
Gah I dont remember how to read a tape lol /cry
the little one has something, numbers or letters stamped on the bottom, and a diamond shaped stamp, really rough surface.
View attachment 862959
View attachment 862960

Mike

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking at the pic of the smaller one it appears to be 75mm, and I think it's a round for the M1897 A4 cannon. Variations of this gun were in use up ino the 1960's as I recall. Probably around WW2 era but could be older. It's likely also a solid shot anti tank round with a tracer element in the base. The other is a 90mm Anti tank round, WW2 era, it should be a solid shot and the piece in the base would have been a tracer element. They both appear to have been fired, which would render them inert if they are solid shot with tracer, BUT there were also versions loaded with high explosive and white phosphorus. I'd have them checked out by an expert to make sure. There are several artillery collectors forums online, and I'd suggest joining one and posting detailed pics and measurements, including accurate weights for both shells (use a postal scale for accuracy)

OP
OP
BC1969

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Man thanks alot for the info Ken or is it Nola ?.
I am going to try and find somebody here in michigan that can help me out, for some reason I do not feel comfortable walking into the local state police building with them lol.
From what I know of the owner of the homesite, he was in WW1, and the house was torn down in 28.
but that does not mean somebody did'nt stash them there at a later date, probably got scared and wanted to dump them somewhere safe.
Thanks again.

Mike

Any ideas on what that silver brooch looking thing may be ?

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
30.gif th_wtg.gif

OP
OP
BC1969

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Ahh thank you again Ken.
Will be toting those around with me today, I have a good friend that was in WW2.
And still has a good memory, and a lot of WW2 buddies.
He is a great man, if you love the military, and history, check his website out, and he has a biography of those days, it is a great book.

Ranger Copeland

Mike

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
having that stuff within a 100 yards of me would make me nervous. thanks anyway, but I'll stick to coins and rings and stuff that won't kill me

WolfmoonX

Dec 4, 2004
New Jersey
Ahh thank you again Ken.
Will be toting those around with me today, I have a good friend that was in WW2.
And still has a good memory, and a lot of WW2 buddies.
He is a great man, if you love the military, and history, check his website out, and he has a biography of those days, it is a great book.

Ranger Copeland

Mike

I would advise against riding around with those until you get someone there to get a positive ID and assure that they can't explode. Also, how would you explain them if you got pulled over?

borntohunt460

Jul 30, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MDers have died messing with stuff like that.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread