REALLY helpful teller (Alternate title: Inverse Edge Searching)

kennedyfan

Jul 22, 2011
Detector(s) used
Bank Tellers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So yesterday I had some time to kill in a nearby city so I went to some banks. I stopped off at a branch of a well-known bank and asked for my usual.

The teller was very helpful. She had 4 rolls of halves, and some "big dollars" in the back.

She said that the halves were from an "estate" so they were pretty old. Would I like some dimes, too, from that same batch?

(Sometimes I'm in the mood for asking for CWRolls of dimes, but I was on foot with limited carrying capacity, so I normally wouldn't have asked for dime rolls.)

Anyhow, since she offered, I said Yes.

Came home and checked things out. Well, as you can see by the picture, some good stuff!

Halves: Three rolls of clad, but one roll solid silver! …. 1 '45 Walker, 5 Bens, 9 '64 Kens, 5 65+ Kens!

Dimes: Though the wrappers looked modern, all four rolls she sold me were almost solid silver! Strangely, a couple of them had mixed-in clad dimes.

So this is where you can play a game of INVERSE edge searching! Which ones are NOT silver dimes? :laughing7:

dimes_halves.jpg

Answer: There's one in the second from the top roll; the bottom roll has clad at positions 11, 31, 33, 41. Interestingly, the clad dates were as recent as 1989, which is really weird.

Anyhow, as you can imagine, I'm quite happy! Over 20 ounces of silver there!

- KF

Upvote 0

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have done it, Buster! way to go!

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Great score on the estate coins. I'm waiting myself to catch someone dropping off a 3-pound coffee can of silver, or rolls as in your case, at my bank. It's just a matter of time. HH

hrnewsome

Jun 19, 2013
Congrats!!

If I don't find silver it's not because I'm not looking!

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im guessing nothing came of the big dollars?
But dang nice job- if she wouldnt of mentioned the dimes would you have asked? Thats one nice teller there

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

OP
OP
kennedyfan

kennedyfan

Jul 22, 2011
Detector(s) used
Bank Tellers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im guessing nothing came of the big dollars?
But dang nice job- if she wouldnt of mentioned the dimes would you have asked? Thats one nice teller there

Yeah, just Ikes for the dollars — I would have been hootin' and hollerin' if otherwise!

I am glad she thought of the dimes -- I don't know if I would have had the brains to think about asking if there were any other coins from that same batch. I definitely should keep that in mind -- if a teller mentions that they came in from some special old situation, we should definitely ask if there were others that came in with them!

OP
OP
kennedyfan

kennedyfan

Jul 22, 2011
Detector(s) used
Bank Tellers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What were the dates/mintmarks on the dimes?

They were all roses so I just threw them in the stack. A few that I looked at seemed to be close to 1964, so not very old. If they had been mercs or barbers I would have given them a closer look...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread