Really old Crescent wrench.

ethanfez

Jun 15, 2013
Colorado
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was trying to find some of my less nice tools to take to college with me and found this in one of my tool piles. I can't find any wrench like it online and from what I have found it may be from ~1915. It's old enough it has patent pending on it and I can't find another like it. Any help would be great!
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1480273331.656022.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1480273340.408578.jpg

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I doubt seriously it's from the early 1900's! Every time they'd come out with a new model, it would say Pat. Pend. Is probably from the 50's-70's.

OP
OP
ethanfez

ethanfez

Jun 15, 2013
Colorado
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I doubt seriously it's from the early 1900's! Every time they'd come out with a new model, it would say Pat. Pend. Is probably from the 50's-70's.

Looks exactly the same as the one in the patent filed in 1915.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, once again I gotta stick my tail between my legs and bow my head in shame. And because of this extraordinarily large goof on my part, have done some extra research that I hope will help. Here are links to some pretty good info concerning the early Crescent wrenches. The ones I was thinking of don't even say "Crescent" on them, as starting in 1930 they came out with Crestoloy. On the Crescent website, it shows earlier examples of different tools, including the adjustable wrenches. However, the earliest they have pictured shows the wording "Patented". The patent for this tool was filed in Jan 1915 and approved in Mar 1915, which means I'm at a loss for how they even had time to produce tools with the phrase "Pat. Pending". However, it appears as though they might have been doing so before the patent was even filed. Maybe because they had engineering drawings going back to 1908? However, there's also a Crescent Tools catalog on eBay right now that is from some time prior to 1922. Catalog #14 was in 1922, #16 in 1926, and this is #11. So far I can find no printing date for the #11 catalog. Anyway, here's the links:

Crescent Tool Company, Jamestown, N.Y. - General Line Catalog No. 11 - 31 Pages | eBay
On the eBay link, if you zoom into the 3rd pic, you can read the PATENT PENDING side of the wrench - and this is supposedly a 1916 catalog, which is nearly a full year after patent was granted. Unfortunately, the image doesn't allow for much of the raised lettering on the opposite side - only near the end of the handle, where the hole is. And even that is difficult to make out!

http://www.crescent100years.com/
(can be a very slow link)

Crescent Tool Company

http://www.crescenttool.com/brands-timeline

https://www.google.com/patents/US1133236

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adjustable_spanner
The wiki link is about adjustable spanners in general. However, notice just how far back similar designs go (pic with text on right, 2nd pic down).

:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

OP
OP
ethanfez

ethanfez

Jun 15, 2013
Colorado
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, once again I gotta stick my tail between my legs and bow my head in shame. And because of this extraordinarily large goof on my part, have done some extra research that I hope will help. Here are links to some pretty good info concerning the early Crescent wrenches. The ones I was thinking of don't even say "Crescent" on them, as starting in 1930 they came out with Crestoloy. On the Crescent website, it shows earlier examples of different tools, including the adjustable wrenches. However, the earliest they have pictured shows the wording "Patented". The patent for this tool was filed in Jan 1915 and approved in Mar 1915, which means I'm at a loss for how they even had time to produce tools with the phrase "Pat. Pending". However, it appears as though they might have been doing so before the patent was even filed. Maybe because they had engineering drawings going back to 1908? However, there's also a Crescent Tools catalog on eBay right now that is from some time prior to 1922. Catalog #14 was in 1922, #16 in 1926, and this is #11. So far I can find no printing date for the #11 catalog. Anyway, here's the links:

Crescent Tool Company, Jamestown, N.Y. - General Line Catalog No. 11 - 31 Pages | eBay
On the eBay link, if you zoom into the 3rd pic, you can read the PATENT PENDING side of the wrench - and this is supposedly a 1916 catalog, which is nearly a full year after patent was granted. Unfortunately, the image doesn't allow for much of the raised lettering on the opposite side - only near the end of the handle, where the hole is. And even that is difficult to make out!

http://www.crescent100years.com/
(can be a very slow link)

Crescent Tool Company

http://www.crescenttool.com/brands-timeline

https://www.google.com/patents/US1133236

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adjustable_spanner
The wiki link is about adjustable spanners in general. However, notice just how far back similar designs go (pic with text on right, 2nd pic down).

:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

Wow! Thanks! Any idea what it would be worth?

Last edited:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Hmm...I spent about 6 hours looking up that much, and didn't run across another single photo of one saying PATENT PENDING. - not even on the company website. I had never even noticed (or cared, really) that the word "Crescent" changed to "Crestoloy" in 1930. After educating myself, it would appear you truly are sitting on a nice piece of tool history! :thumbsup: I think the only way to know value would be to get the tool appraised by a few tool collectors. ...OR, auction it on eBay and lose it forever!! :laughing7:

If this were ANY tool other than their adjustable wrench, I would probably say it's not worth a whole lot. But like it says on (I think) the wiki website, it got to a point where adjustable wrenches were often called crescent wrenches, regardless of manufacturer. And as they're still in business and this is still their namesake, I see good potential for value! I would guess at least $200.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you rent a stall at an antique mall, around here it'll bring $35 - $40. When I sell at the malls the general rule for hand tools is to take the price and ad $20 - $25 to it. Some stuff might sit for a few weeks other stuff might be gone the same day. Still trying to figure out the people. Good prices on good collectibles with a lousy piece sitting next to it & the junk will be gone leaving the good quality behind. The only answer I got was from a guy that told me he picked some junk sockets instead of Craftsman was because the junkers looked cooler.

Probably your best bet would be to put it on Craigs List with a good description, some collector will find it!

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
The FIRST thing I'd do is contact Crescent and see if it's anything they'd be interested in, or at least if they have any more specific date range on when this was likely manufactured.

Could also look for forums that specialize in vintage/antique hand tools and ask around.

I don't think you'll get a full value offline, as there is access to many more tool collectors online than in any given location - even an antique tool show. It's gonna take someone who knows (as I learned) that this wrench IS the real deal, and was made long ago. That said, you also have to keep in mind that the first similar adjustable wrench was patented in the 1830's, so they have been around for a long time. It's a common tool as well so everyone other than a serious collector will most likely look right over it. IMO

OP
OP
ethanfez

ethanfez

Jun 15, 2013
Colorado
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My dad has informed me that the marking just below the adjustable part look to be from a Brinell hardness test. Which would mean it would probably be one of the first few made because they wouldn't do that on many after they figured out everything.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
That's very possible. I remembered seeing this photo in one of the links above:
crescent_adj_6-8in_wrench_f_cropped_inset2.jpg

This double-end wrench also has such marks, but take a close look at them. On the double-end wrench, you can see that the lighter-colored circle surrounding the hole is not even all the way around. On your wrench, all of these lighter rings are even. That tells me that the marks on the double-end wrench were made by hand using a punch and hammer, while the marks on yours were most likely made by a machine set at a certain load.

Last night, I simply thought these marks were ID marks from a previous owner, as I, too, have marked tools using a hand punch. Never really noticed until now how even and consistent the marks on your tool are.

Also, if the wrench were going to break anywhere, it might most likely be at that point. So having the correct hardness would be crucial there.

I'm very much beginning to suspect that your particular wrench was never sold on the open market, but was taken home by an employee of Crescent - maybe even one of the tool designers or, more likely, one of the testers. Once marked like that they could not have been sold.

EDIT: Keep in mind that 24 hours ago, I simply looked at this wrench and scoffed, assuming it was "just another old wrench". So don't take MY word for anything!! Contact Crescent and ask them! ...Might even want to include a link to this thread as it may help somewhat in clarifying some of this tool's mysteries - and history.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ethanfez

ethanfez

Jun 15, 2013
Colorado
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's very possible. I remembered seeing this photo in one of the links above:
View attachment 1386091

This double-end wrench also has such marks, but take a close look at them. On the double-end wrench, you can see that the lighter-colored circle surrounding the hole is not even all the way around. On your wrench, all of these lighter rings are even. That tells me that the marks on the double-end wrench were made by hand using a punch and hammer, while the marks on yours were most likely made by a machine set at a certain load.

Last night, I simply thought these marks were ID marks from a previous owner, as I, too, have marked tools using a hand punch. Never really noticed until now how even and consistent the marks on your tool are.

Also, if the wrench were going to break anywhere, it might most likely be at that point. So having the correct hardness would be crucial there.

I'm very much beginning to suspect that your particular wrench was never sold on the open market, but was taken home by an employee of Crescent - maybe even one of the tool designers or, more likely, one of the testers. Once marked like that they could not have been sold.

EDIT: Keep in mind that 24 hours ago, I simply looked at this wrench and scoffed, assuming it was "just another old wrench". So don't take MY word for anything!! Contact Crescent and ask them! ...Might even want to include a link to this thread as it may help somewhat in clarifying some of this tool's mysteries - and history.

I'm thinking what you are saying sounds right. I'll find a way to contact them and see what they say.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread