Really shiny 1994 Halves

giniro

Jan 14, 2013
Columbus, OH
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So after driving down to a small(relative to Columbus at least) town about 30 minutes from me after work today and having every single bank tell me "halves are really popular" and/or "there's a guy that buys them up all the time" and finding 0 CWRs I stopped by my local PNC where I found my first score in. They were delighted to see me as they had $150 in CWR and somebody had just deposited a full box of machine wrapped rolls(groan). So I got the CWR and 5 of the machine wrapped rolls from the box. Well the CWR were skunks and obviously part of this guys dump of the box. The teller told me the guy claimed his kid collected them(yeah right).

The box which the teller showed me appears to be composed 100% of very shiny 1994 and 1995 halves. The guy who dropped them off seems like he looked at the ends saw shiny 1994 coins on each end and just slit them down the side to check the rims. I just opened the 5 I got and yup solid practically new mostly 1994 P with a few 1995 P. So sitting at the bank are the remaining 45 rolls that I assume are more of the same. I'm guessing there's no value beyond face in these despite what coinflation tells me(minimum value $2) What do you guys think? I'm considering finding a bank with a coin counter to dump these at to move them on and since the tellers are so nice to me I could do them a favor and get rid of them for them at the very least.

Upvote 0

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
giniro said:
So after driving down to a small(relative to Columbus at least) town about 30 minutes from me after work today and having every single bank tell me "halves are really popular" and/or "there's a guy that buys them up all the time" and finding 0 CWRs I stopped by my local PNC where I found my first score in. They were delighted to see me as they had $150 in CWR and somebody had just deposited a full box of machine wrapped rolls(groan). So I got the CWR and 5 of the machine wrapped rolls from the box. Well the CWR were skunks and obviously part of this guys dump of the box. The teller told me the guy claimed his kid collected them(yeah right).

The box which the teller showed me appears to be composed 100% of very shiny 1994 and 1995 halves. The guy who dropped them off seems like he looked at the ends saw shiny 1994 coins on each end and just slit them down the side to check the rims. I just opened the 5 I got and yup solid practically new mostly 1994 P with a few 1995 P. So sitting at the bank are the remaining 45 rolls that I assume are more of the same. I'm guessing there's no value beyond face in these despite what coinflation tells me(minimum value $2) What do you guys think? I'm considering finding a bank with a coin counter to dump these at to move them on and since the tellers are so nice to me I could do them a favor and get rid of them for them at the very least.

I have had some luck selling rolls of AU state halves on eBay. I sold a roll of UNC 1994-D halves (not in a mint roll, but a brown CWR) on there for about $16-17.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since the tellers are so nice to you there, you should always take all the halves they have, everytime, without question. Making friends at banks can only help you inthe future. At worst, you have some extra clad to dump. At best, they begin to save anything you want for you and you only.

You might be able to sell "really shiny" clad halves for a profit on ebay or Craigslist. Some members are occasionally successful at this, while others are not. There's only one way to find out.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm guessing there's no value beyond face in these despite what coinflation tells me(minimum value $2)

That wasn't coinflation, it was CoinTrackers that told you that. Don't EVER believe their prices for clad.

Thorne

Dec 5, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I say drop a couple rolls on eBay. Au-bu always pulls a fiver at least. Also if you can get solid rolls of both p and d I'd say put them in the 50 cent screw top plastic tubes makes em look official. Probably pull like 30-40 for the set. HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread