reccomendations for grading a cleaned coin

billionaire

Sep 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So i recently bought a coin that may have been cleaned and i am interested in getting it regraded. I bought an "ms-65" 1896-O morgan dollar and it came in a slab with no name of the grading company. It looks great ms something but just not 65. Also it came with the warning that it might have been cleaned so that will rule a couple companies out of grading it. Im thinking ANACS from my research but i would like some opinions.

coinguy*matthew

Mar 30, 2013
N.H.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A cleaned coin is a cleaned coin no matter where you get it graded. Post a pic please?

OP
OP
B

billionaire

Sep 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will make sure i post a picture of it soon. I read that some grading companies dont accept cleaned coins to be graded. Are there any obvious ways to know if a coin has been cleaned.

TypeCoin971793

Oct 7, 2013
Here or There or Anywhere
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will make sure i post a picture of it soon. I read that some grading companies dont accept cleaned coins to be graded. Are there any obvious ways to know if a coin has been cleaned.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eOktXkO-TSc

This will probably give a better explanation than I could. It has visuals!!!!!!! :)

And, no. Most grading services don't give a cleaned coin a full grade, just a details one that says "cleaned." Maybe you should look about returning it. ??? :dontknow:

wagbert

Mar 29, 2008
It looks like the seller re-listed it, and it sold for $510 with the feedback comment, "a very nice coin". Oh, well! I can see the bright light photo probably hides the wear and small nicks. Everybody be careful out there.
wagbert

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well that's a pretty significant problem... buying a MS 65 and getting a note it might have been cleaned.... and an even bigger problem is you're asking about grading it and not totally freaked out at the note.

CoinHELP!

Aug 9, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would like to see an image of this coin, you might have bought an AU58 and a cleaned on at that. If so then you might want to get a refund. All grading services will net grade a coin as AU or MS but it will get a genuine label with grade details from PCGS or ANACS.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread