recent book find

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
I was up northern Indiana in a small town recently, it was a slow weekend.
we walked around and there was a bookstore which had taken over two or three older store fronts. we all know the small towns have lost alot of old stores, some still empty.

anyway I always try to check these out for old Indian relic and history books.

this find was titled "the Choctaw of Bayou Lacomb St Tammany Parish Louisiana " published. 1909.

I have not been to that area before and not to Louisiana in a few years. but like many old publications there are very helpful hints on where to locate relics.

hint hint, for new collectors

20240420_133025.jpg

20240420_133125.jpg

Upvote 9

GDub62

Feb 2, 2022
Georgia
we walked around and there was a bookstore which had taken over two or three older store fronts. we all know the small towns have lost alot of old stores, some still empty.

this find was titled "the Choctaw of Bayou Lacomb St Tammany Parish Louisiana " published. 1909.

I have not been to that area before and not to Louisiana in a few years. but like many old publications there are very helpful hints on where to locate relics.

View attachment 2146938

View attachment 2146940
That'll be an interesting read

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find, I’m always torn on the old books, sometimes they are based on dated info misconceptions and maybe even a dash of racism… on the other hand they were much closer in time to their subjects, if you’re writing about events that happened say 20 years ago I imagine you’d need to be pretty accurate, otherwise people would call you out, new books on the other hand are being written nearly 200 years removed or more… who knows what has been lost or twisted over that period of time… but I have to say I do like my old books

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice find! Don't know what you paid, or the condition, but that's a $25-$100 book, not to mention the knowledge it contains. :occasion14:

Last edited:

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found this book at an antique mall for $4. Published in 1934. Ann Axtell Morris was the wife of Earl Morris. They were archaeologists in the 30s. There was an interesting statement in the book by Ann Morris: “Archaeology, treasure hunting decently concealed under the respectable cloak of science.”
Think about that for a minute!
IMG_4934.jpeg
IMG_4935.jpeg
IMG_4933.jpeg

GDub62

Feb 2, 2022
Georgia
I found this book at an antique mall for $4. Published in 1934. Ann Axtell Morris was the wife of Earl Morris. They were archaeologists in the 30s. There was an interesting statement in the book by Ann Morris: “Archaeology, treasure hunting decently concealed under the respectable cloak of science.”
Think about that for a minute! View attachment 2147062 View attachment 2147063 View attachment 2147064

Think about that for a minute! View attachment 2147062 View attachment 2147063 View attachment 2147064
Haha. I think I would have liked Mrs. Morris. Sounds more down to earth and honest than others

Coinstar magnet

Silver Member
Apr 5, 2020
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

View attachment 2146938

View attachment 2146940
Nice find. I enjoy old books...I was at a rare book store in NH...my wife stayed in the car and looked up the place...$5 to browse unless you bought something $25 or more... though he didn't ask....very musty...lights were turned off in the aisles...he asked me to use my phone light...and difficult to walk because of the stacks and stacks of books...when I came back my wife said I smelled musty....she said it was sad to see books not being properly taken care of ...anyway... I'm sure there were probably some very rare books in there....the couple I looked at were quite expensive...one an antiquarian medical book at $75 the other a first edition photography book going for $500....so you did well at $4!

Coinstar magnet

Silver Member
Apr 5, 2020
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find, I’m always torn on the old books, sometimes they are based on dated info misconceptions and maybe even a dash of racism… on the other hand they were much closer in time to their subjects, if you’re writing about events that happened say 20 years ago I imagine you’d need to be pretty accurate, otherwise people would call you out, new books on the other hand are being written nearly 200 years removed or more… who knows what has been lost or twisted over that period of time… but I have to say I do like my old books
Reading old books in context and not throwing the baby out with the bath water...I wonder how our future generations will view our "advanced" thinking"...when books like, "Little house in the big woods" are censored....and I have found when reading older books my vocabulary has been challenged. :)

Last edited:

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice find. I enjoy old books...I was at a rare book store in NH...my wife stayed in the car and looked up the place...$5 to browse unless you bought something $25 or more... though he didn't ask....very musty...lights were turned off in the aisles...he asked me to use my phone light...and difficult to walk because of the stacks and stacks of books

No respectable bookman would have a store like that. My guess he was just trying to sell enough to keep him supplied with Mad Dog. That musty smell is bacteria having it's way with the paper and cardboard.

Coinstar magnet

Silver Member
Apr 5, 2020
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No respectable bookman would have a store like that. My guess he was just trying to sell enough to keep him supplied with Mad Dog. That musty smell is bacteria having it's way with the paper and cardboard.
I think he had hoarding issues...I noticed he had vehicles filled with books as well....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread