Recent Civil War Recoveries & Farriers

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Here are some of my better finds from a recent Civil War relic hunt. We hunted what was a dug in Union camp near Culpeper, VA. Many of the finds indicate that the camp was occupied by a lot of farriers and the army's mules and horses. I found quite a few mule shoes and others did as well, along with a lot of curry combs. Here are some of my more interesting finds: A pair of farrier's nippers (will be cleaned), a broken set of brass calipers for map reading/making (or possibly used as farrier toe calipers/dividers), a US rosette from a bridle bit, rein end, musket ball, a complete Eagle button, part of another, several button backs, a rivet with some of the leather still attached, a horseshoe nail, a square nail, and 3 unidentified pieces that may be saddle or accoutrement related. Got some more iron pieces I'll post later. Can anyone ID the 3 items on the right?

jgd 11-14(2).jpg civilwarfarriers.jpg
Image on the right is a period photo of Union Army Civil War farriers.

Upvote 11

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Those are some very nice CW relics. Great job saving them.

OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Those are some very nice CW relics. Great job saving them.

Thanks beez. I really like the nippers. A personal tool always carries a special meaning to me.

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice recoveries Richard. Farriers were very important to cavalry. Many were Farriers before the war don't you think? HH, Q.

OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice recoveries Richard. Farriers were very important to cavalry. Many were Farriers before the war don't you think? HH, Q.

Yes, I think so Quindy. Of course, back then, many soldiers, (especially Southern boys) could do their own farrier work. Most of those men in that photo were, according to the source, very recent immigrants. The farrier work in the war, along with what it took to feed the mules and horses each day, was quite a monumental job.

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There is a military camp just close to where I live which was put together at the start of WWI. They had a small battalion of men that did nothing but take care of the horses. There is a road where I believe their camp was situated and they would move the horses down, which is now a highway.

pong12211

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2013
North central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro/Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow you are really digging history. Congrats on the finds hope they keep coming for you.

OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
There is a military camp just close to where I live which was put together at the start of WWI. They had a small battalion of men that did nothing but take care of the horses. There is a road where I believe their camp was situated and they would move the horses down, which is now a highway.

Very interesting. Have you hunted the area yet?

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice recoveries!! Nippers are cool!

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Finds..

Mud Hut

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you sure those are nippers? The shallow, low angle jaws don't seem like they were designed for that purpose.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are some fantastic and seldom-seen CW relics! Well done.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice saves on the relics, the three items you asked about remind me of support rivet/pins that would of ran through wood supporting the two pieces, thus having the washer on the ends.

OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Are you sure those are nippers? The shallow, low angle jaws don't seem like they were designed for that purpose.

Too small to be pullers. My farrier son thinks they're most likely nippers.

OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice saves on the relics, the three items you asked about remind me of support rivet/pins that would of ran through wood supporting the two pieces, thus having the washer on the ends.

Yes, that's what I was thinking - maybe to hold a leather pouch or something? Thanks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread