Recent Colonial/CW Finds and I Dont Appreciate History Enough!!!

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Recent Colonial/CW Finds and I Don't Appreciate History Enough!!!

The picture is of my finds from yesterday with Mr. Half Reale (Dman) to a Colonial site overlaid by CW Relics from a large U.S. Camp plus more modern day relics. The 8 point star button was an intersting find. Any info. on it would be helpful. No banner finds there but three distinct eras of history are represented there.
If you read Dman's recent post, you will note that I was disappointed that the Eagle cuff button with gold gilt was not CW but a Great Seal button. Since there were WW2 maneuvers all over that site, we can assume that button probably belonged to one of those soldiers who was practicing to go the war in Europe. I was told that Tennessee was one state selected for war exercises since the landscape was not very different than Italy, France, and Germany.. I should have been PROUD to find that button as the young soldier who wore it may have perished in World War 2 defending the freedom we enjoy today.
If you saw Dman's post from yesterday where he found the 1807 half reale, you saw the little half pint milk bottle that Dman found at the site. It was ironic that I saw the very nice older lady who owns the land at that site today in the grocery store. She has known Dman and myself all of our lives. I told her about Dman's recent coin recoveries and that we hunted her farm yesterday. I told her about the milk bottle. I already knew her father owned the dairy. She believes the dairy was started in the 1930s by her father and was the only dairy in Trousdale County, Tennessee until it closed about 1960. It is possible that I drank milk from that bottle when I attended a country school in the mid to late 1950s. Bottles were recycled then. It's just a milk bottle but the local history is very relevant here.
All of you who read my posts know CW history and relics are my passion as each of you focuses on recoveries from different periods of history in different countries. At the risk of being too philosophical today, we should appreciate all history and our associated finds. Happy hunting, Quindy.

2010 YTD CW Relics=78
Colonial Finds YTD=16
Goal is 100 total by April 1

Attachments

• 3-23-10 Finds.jpg
    3-23-10 Finds.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 840
Upvote 0

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Recent Colonial/CW Finds and I Don't Appreciate History Enough!!!

Very well said and heart felt for sure. Thank you for the history lesson and sharing the awesome finds with us.

DANGLANGLEY in Wartburg, Tn.

Dixiedigger

Dec 2, 2009
Southern Middle TN
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3i, Fisher f75

Again, very well said, I also remember drinking milk from bottles when I was in the first grade. I wish you well with your hunting.

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

That button Quin is very interesting.
I don't think that's a corps badge. :dontknow:

I'm curious about it.

Keep digging that good stuf!

OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Still Waters said:
I found a similar button to the one you are curious about. Does yours fit the same description as mine?

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,291771.0.html

Still Waters
I wish I could say it was like a Cherokee Rose Still Waters but mine is flat and the 8 points vary in length from the center. Plus the star is off center and I can see no backmark. I sent a message to Kyle of the PA Copper Posse who sees these type buttons frequently and he thinks that mine is only a decorative flat button. Buckleboy agrees with him. Your button is a very nice mystery. HH.
4-H said:
That button Quin is very interesting.
I don't think that's a corps badge. :dontknow:

I'm curious about it.

Keep digging that good stuf!
Thanks Mike. After consulting with Kyle PA and Buckleboy, I'm convinced it is just a plain decorative flat button. I am not an expert on buttons or corps badges. This was near a large U.S. CW camp. Thanks for looking Buddy.

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Q-man,
I would be proud to show those relics buddy. That's a great day for me.
You two are really milking that spot. :tongue3:
I'm not old enough to remember drinking milk from a bottle like that, but I do miss breast feeding. :binkybaby:
Congrats,
Doug

L

lovedigging

Quindy, Those are some great finds! You need to carry your own water bottle on your next trip with Doug though so he doesn't get so upset when you clean your buttons with his water :laughing7: Great finds buddy...

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE

That was one fun hunt we had. I remember the milk man coming by our house when I was a kid. My brothers and I would get a small bottle of chocolate milk. He always delivered the milk before daybreak and we would drink the chocolate milk for breakfast before doing our chores. I think I am getting old.
Dman

Tnrelicman

Mar 2, 2010
East Tn
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT but missing my Etrac

Great finds, you guys are tearing it up down there!!!

Knightwalker

Jan 12, 2009
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack Discovery 3000, Fisher F22, Garrett PinPointer

Very interesting finds Quindy. That is an awsome star button. You need to set up a shadow box of different items you found and go to the schools and do a little history lesson.
:hello: HH in 2010 :hello2:
KW

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800

That star button is nice.

Colonial period pieces are the most important finds to me. Anyone can find a merc. Try and find some colonial artifacts. It isn't easy.

HH Jer

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice finds and thoughts ,God Bless all who have fallen , my Uncle trained at Fort Jackson ,SC . KIA Brest, France 1944

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

God bless 'em all. :)

Just a plain decorative flat button or not, that's a great button, Q! :icon_pirat:

Super hunt!! And MM...yer so crazy! :D

N~

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE

Knightwalker said:
Very interesting finds Quindy. That is an awsome star button. You need to set up a shadow box of different items you found and go to the schools and do a little history lesson.
KW
VOL goes to schools and gives Civil War history demonstrations all the time. He used to be a teacher.

OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

DANGLANGLEY said:
Very well said and heart felt for sure. Thank you for the history lesson and sharing the awesome finds with us.

DANGLANGLEY in Wartburg, Tn.
Thanks Dan. Not awesome finds but each one is a little piece of history. HH.
Brian(upstateNY-Central Fla.) said:
every little find works ;D :icon_thumright:
You're right Brian and I hope you spent the winter in Florida. Thanks for looking and HH.
Dixiedigger said:
Again, very well said, I also remember drinking milk from bottles when I was in the first grade. I wish you well with your hunting.
Those days seem just like yesterday sometimes DD. Thanks Buddy.
Rickiowa2009 said:
Keep up the good work
Thanks Rick. The way this grass is growing here, field hunting days are numbered for the Spring. HH.
ModernMiner said:
Q-man,
I would be proud to show those relics buddy. That's a great day for me.
You two are really milking that spot. :tongue3:
I'm not old enough to remember drinking milk from a bottle like that, but I do miss breast feeding. :binkybaby:
Congrats,
Doug
"Milking the spot" is a nice quip. I wonder if you think this quick and are this creative when making excuses to tell you wife? HH Pal.
tcooper1 said:
Quindy, Those are some great finds! You need to carry your own water bottle on your next trip with Doug though so he doesn't get so upset when you clean your buttons with his water :laughing7: Great finds buddy...
Todd, you know him very well. If it wasn't that, he'd be whining about something else. I may need my Diet Mt. Dew to drink if I get thirtsty-LOL. Thanks Bud.
Tnrelicman said:
Great finds, you guys are tearing it up down there!!!
We are having some fun lately Guy. Good luck and keep the big engine between the rails Buddy.
Knightwalker said:
KW
KW, Dman has already bought a new walnut box for his Colonial finds and I will do the same. I already give talks and show relics to school classes and historical societies. I'll need to add colonial sites to my presentation. Thanks for looking.
JerV3 said:
That star button is nice.

Colonial period pieces are the most important finds to me. Anyone can find a merc. Try and find some colonial artifacts. It isn't easy.

HH Jer
Jer, we are fortunate in our area to have Colonial and CW sites. HH.
CMDiamonddawg said:
Nice finds and thoughts ,God Bless all who have fallen , my Uncle trained at Fort Jackson ,SC . KIA Brest, France 1944
He may have been to maneuvers around here CM. The WW2 Veterans who made it through the war are passing away quickly now. Thanks for your family history. We owe them so much. HH.
Nana40 said:
God bless 'em all. :)

Just a plain decorative flat button or not, that's a great button, Q! :icon_pirat:

Super hunt!! And MM...yer so crazy! :D

N~
Thanks Nana and MM is VERY crazy. We find the floral flat buttons in CS sites but some of these flat buttons from the Colonial site have geometric shapes on them. HH Bama Nana.

OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Dman said:
Knightwalker said:
KW
VOL goes to schools and gives Civil War history demonstrations all the time. He used to be a teacher.
I taught High School Math and Science for two years after college. My greatest teaching challenge has been teaching Dman how to relic hunt and that FISHER is the BEST metal detector. HH Friend.

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Dman said:
That was one fun hunt we had. I remember the milk man coming by our house when I was a kid. My brothers and I would get a small bottle of chocolate milk. He always delivered the milk before daybreak and we would drink the chocolate milk for breakfast before doing our chores. I think I am getting old.
Dman

Dman,
That is AMAZING!!! I actually found that picture!
Looks just like you too. ::) :laughing9:
-Doug-

Attachments

• Dman\'s early days.jpg
    Dman\'s early days.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 359

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread