Recent Error Coins Found (PICS) (Are They Errors?)

Th3Offspring

Aug 29, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi all, these are just a few coins I've found while searching and gotten back in pocket change recently. Pretty sure the first one is a 1989-P struck through grease filled die or a weak strike or something as the reverse is in decent circulated condition so i do not believe the obverse is "wear". The second i believe is a 1972-D Double Die Obverse but take a look at the pics. I'd like to hear what you think! The third coin pictured is a 1998-D Roosevelt that i believe had been struck through a foreign object. The bum is the same color as the dime and i see no creases or places where it may have been added through my loop. And last but not least is a 1983 Lincoln cent with a CUD that i got back in change. Enjoy!

1989-DErrorA-1.jpg
1989-DErrorB-2.jpg

1972DDOC-1.jpg
1972DDOA-1-1.jpg

0930012115.jpg
0930012112.jpg
0930012114.jpg

0930012252.jpg
0930012253.jpg

Upvote 0

Lawrence

Sep 27, 2011
MA, USA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That dime looks like one I had that was silver soldered to a pin that broke off.

captainfwiffo

May 11, 2011
Southwest Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're right about the one struck through grease. Not very valuable, but I'd keep it as a novelty. The doubled die is hard to tell from these pictures, but looks promising. I agree that the dime had something soldered to it. If it was struck through a foreign object, the shape would be impressed into the coin, not raised. The cud is very nice.

OP
OP
Th3Offspring

Th3Offspring

Aug 29, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
captainfwiffo said:
You're right about the one struck through grease. Not very valuable, but I'd keep it as a novelty. The doubled die is hard to tell from these pictures, but looks promising. I agree that the dime had something soldered to it. If it was struck through a foreign object, the shape would be impressed into the coin, not raised. The cud is very nice.

Thanks for the input! For 50 cents I'll keep the half because i don't come across them like that much (ever) lol but i didn't think about that for the dime. I think there actually is metal added by someone to maybe make a pin like the post above you suggested.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like the others said on the half and dime. The 72 appears to be machine doubling to me. Would need a closer pic to be sure. If so, then no added value.
HH
enamel7

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread