Recent finds 7/9/09

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice !

What's the material of the lamellar blade ? Cattail Creek ? From here it looks white with violet marbling and butterscotch. Pretty stuff and high quality, whatever it is.

From Virginia ?

OP
OP
Th3rty7

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
uniface said:
Nice !

What's the material of the lamellar blade ? Cattail Creek ? From here it looks white with violet marbling and butterscotch. Pretty stuff and high quality, whatever it is.

From Virginia ?

Hey uniface, It was found in west central Va., pretty far from the Cattail Creek source, although it does look similar. Imo it's a local chalcedony I pick up every once in awhile. It ranges from white to amber colored, the highest grades are normally translucent.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet thirty7. Nice finds.Yeah the rain is on the way and I am hooking up the boat for in the morn.The river tables say go before the rain. Where those field finds or creeks?
Regards,
TnMountains

OP
OP
Th3rty7

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
TnMountains said:
Sweet thirty7. Nice finds.Yeah the rain is on the way and I am hooking up the boat for in the morn.The river tables say go before the rain. Where those field finds or creeks?
Regards,
TnMountains

what's happening Tn, these were all field finds. I try and hunt creeks but never really do any good. I've only found a couple pieces in creeks. The second tier or high spot from the creek is where I find most points. Good luck in the morn.

OP
OP
Th3rty7

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
Here's the stone tool and the uniface piece. Any opinions on the tool?

Attachments

• phpjR7zsKPM.jpg
    phpjR7zsKPM.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 261
  • php2f3TDNPM.jpg
    php2f3TDNPM.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 268
  • phpcE6EeIPM.jpg
    phpcE6EeIPM.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 257
  • phpIuAjdtPM.jpg
    phpIuAjdtPM.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 243
  • php5cAfmgPM.jpg
    php5cAfmgPM.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 247

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks as if it could have been used to ham out a large animal or even dig out a fire pit. Seems to be big enough to have a good grip on it. Great looking tools. Do you consider the other a type of plane? Both items look early time frame. What are you thinking?
TnMtns

OP
OP
Th3rty7

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
TnMountains said:
Looks as if it could have been used to ham out a large animal or even dig out a fire pit. Seems to be big enough to have a good grip on it. Great looking tools. Do you consider the other a type of plane? Both items look early time frame. What are you thinking?
TnMtns

I was thinking the same, a large scraper for harvesting big game, it does fit the hand well. The notched area is polished and there are three large flakes driven off to create a knife / chopper edge. Possibly a multitool for cleaning up dinner.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread