Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I finally got into the swing of things this year after back-to-back headphone and coil problems with my Deus that required repair center support. The Jaw Harp and Tallio cufflink were found April 13 at an old site that I have pounded to death over the years. Everything else was found April 18 and 19 at a new site.
Edit - the last picture is stuff I found yesterday, 4-23-24 at the new spot. This small area is pretty much cleaned out now.

Attachments

• Jaw Harp - dirty.jpg
    Jaw Harp - dirty.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 64
  • Jaw Harp and  Tallio.jpg
    Jaw Harp and Tallio.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 28
  • Jaw Harp.jpg
    Jaw Harp.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 39
  • 1801 back.jpg
    1801 back.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 48
  • 1801 front.jpg
    1801 front.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 46
  • 1829 back.jpg
    1829 back.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 48
  • 1829 front.jpg
    1829 front.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 39
  • 1831 back.jpg
    1831 back.jpg
    720 KB · Views: 38
  • 1831 front.jpg
    1831 front.jpg
    796.6 KB · Views: 43
  • All.jpg
    All.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 42
  • Buckle.jpg
    Buckle.jpg
    586.3 KB · Views: 42
  • Clasp.jpg
    Clasp.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 32
  • Dirt 1.jpg
    Dirt 1.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 31
  • Dirt 2.jpg
    Dirt 2.jpg
    843.6 KB · Views: 29
  • Dirt 3.jpg
    Dirt 3.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 28
  • Dirt 4.jpg
    Dirt 4.jpg
    944.8 KB · Views: 38
  • Frame.jpg
    Frame.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 40
  • All Clean.jpg
    All Clean.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Upvote 42

Urien of Rheged

Mar 7, 2024
Lots of great recoveries. Thanks for sharing. :icon_thumleft:
One of my first ever finds was a Jews harp just like that one. Dating them is notoriously difficult as they have been found in antiquity. Apparently the Vikings even had them. I associate them with the deep south and some guy sat sweating on his porch in Alabama
Couldn't imagine Ragnar Lothbrok sat there twanging one humming a tune to Odin. But apparently so.

detectorcowboy

Nov 30, 2009
Florida
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800, & Fisher CZ3D
I finally got into the swing of things this year after back-to-back headphone and coil problems with my Deus that required repair center support. The Jaw Harp and Tallio cufflink were found April 13 at an old site that I have pounded to death over the years. Everything else was found April 18 and 19 at a new site.
I had a Fisher 1270 , it was a good capable detector.

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of my first ever finds was a Jews harp just like that one. Dating them is notoriously difficult as they have been found in antiquity. Apparently the Vikings even had them. I associate them with the deep south and some guy sat sweating on his porch in Alabama
Couldn't imagine Ragnar Lothbrok sat there twanging one humming a tune to Odin. But apparently so.
Thanks. This is my best one yet. All the others were either rusty iron, bent, or missing a leg. A friend in Ohio has found a lot on native American village sites. Apparently, they were a popular trade good with the Indians.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Cool!!! Congrats!!!

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went back to my new spot yesterday and found 6 more buttons, a crusty, corroded matron head half cent, and a piece of shoe buckle.
At this point I have pretty much sucked the life out of this small area.

Attachments

• All Clean.jpg
    All Clean.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 2

dave_e

Aug 30, 2015
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend,
Rutus Atrex,
Minelab Equinox 600,
Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great recoveries. These are fantastic to look at when I can't get out myself.
Thanks for sharing!

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Edit - the last picture is stuff I found yesterday, 4-23-24 at the new spot. This small area is pretty much cleaned out now.
Great finds Steve! I’ve never found a jaw harp or asymmetrical buckle. You’re on a nice old site or 2. I hope they keep producing for you. Hopefully some Spanish silver is lurking around!!!

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds Steve! I’ve never found a jaw harp or asymmetrical buckle. You’re on a nice old site or 2. I hope they keep producing for you. Hopefully some Spanish silver is lurking around!!!
Thanks Thad. I'm on a Spanish silver drought. Last one I found was the cob in August 2022.

Chilli

Feb 10, 2022
OZ (Down Under)
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705
Garrett 24k
AlgoForce E1500
Good finds. I used to love the sound of the jaw harp as a kid. So I got one and nearly broke a tooth, I was clueless how to play one. 😆

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went back to my new spot yesterday and found 6 more buttons, a crusty, corroded matron head half cent, and a piece of shoe buckle.
At this point I have pretty much sucked the life out of this small area.
Very Cool!!! Congrats!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread