85.8 KB · Views: 593
  • logs and aric 002.jpg
    logs and aric 002.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 613

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
Collectors think of these teeth out of the Ocala Group (Late Eocene) limestones as Carcharocles auriculatus. There is some doubt to that assignment.

Richard Hulbert (Ed.) in his THE FOSSIL VERTEBRATES OF FLORIDA (2001) sums up the situation with megatooth sharks. He points to research that says that the Florida holotype specimen labeled as Carcharodon auriculatus is actually another species, Carcharodon subauriculatus.

Depending on which authors you find most credible, C. subauriculatus is synonymous with C. angustidens or C. sokolowi. Hulbert favors Carcharodon sokolowi, following Case and Cappetta (1990). I am changing my specimen labels, though I think all these Carcharodon species (except for C. carcharias ) belong in the genus Carcharocles, Family Otodontidae.

If you accept the Hulbert-Case-Cappetta species name for Florida megatooth sharks, Carcharodon sokolowi, I believe that it is acceptably pronounced SO-KO-LAW-VAYE, recognizing a taxonomist named Sokolow or Sokolov.

Attachments

• auriculatussynonomy.jpg
    auriculatussynonomy.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 615
OP
OP
Martingeetars

Martingeetars

Dec 16, 2009
The south
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this recently and was wondering, now is this a lighting strike sand tube type thing or coral or something totally diffrent.It has what looks like a core that is darker in color that runs the length of the piece, any help would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• lightingsand 001.JPG
    lightingsand 001.JPG
    204.7 KB · Views: 424
  • lightingsand 004.JPG
    lightingsand 004.JPG
    228.3 KB · Views: 430
  • lightingsand 005.JPG
    lightingsand 005.JPG
    209.3 KB · Views: 424

Rickelpickel

Greenie
Jul 7, 2011
It looks to me to be something calcified :hello2:. Usually a shell of some type. I can't tell from the pics :dontknow: what it is, but I'd put my money on calcified ????? :thumbsup:

dkTreasure

Nov 2, 2009
nice shark teeth. i am in venice, florida and found some shark teeth in gravel paving a parking lot today. If anyone has recommendations on a land or shallow river site for megs, let me know :) I am at the beach, but not planning to do any scuba unfortunately...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread