Recent hunt in the "River of the Broken Locks."

aquachigger

Jul 29, 2008
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Recent hunt in the "River of the Broken Locks."

Over the years I have found many padlocks in the water that have been smashed open. Yesterday was no exception. I came across five of them widely scattered! One has to wonder why there are so many of them in the water. I find plenty of padlocks on land too, but they are seldom smashed open. I also found a few Civil War bullets, some sinker bullets, some handmade sinkers and many modern sinkers and bullets. It was fun getting out and about, and I hope to do it again soon. Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• P8180006.JPG
    P8180006.JPG
    234.6 KB · Views: 1,059
Upvote 0
OP
OP
aquachigger

aquachigger

Jul 29, 2008
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Recent hunt in the "River of the Broken Locks."

NOLA_Ken said:
what's that brass looking doodad on the bottom?

I don't have a clue. I am going to post it up on the "What is it?" forum a little later...

RIcoinhunter

Nov 9, 2009
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2

The bottom thing looks like a reel seat/butt end for a fishing pole?

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other

Makes you wonder what those locks secured!!!Nice as usual,you always do well!!!Watched ALL your vids.COOL GodBless HH Chris

krango41

Apr 20, 2011
scotland
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS G2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

you have been busy nice finds

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

worldtalker said:
Makes you wonder what those locks secured!!!Nice as usual,you always do well!!!
GodBless HH Chris
One of them probably came from a stolen "strong-box" that held: "a whopping 4 1/2 pounds of silver coins"! Can't you imagine the thief stopping at a river crossing, breaking the lock off of the box. Then he removes the gold coins, and as he crosses the river, he nonchalantly tosses the strong-box into the river (with all of the worthless silver coins that due to weight, aren't worth carrying.)??
:laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9:

bearbqd

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2007
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXP II w/ Sunray X-1 probe, Garrett AT Pro/Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Cool stuff as usual Beau. This is Barry, Vin's friend you met at the meeting the other night. Loved seeing your incredible finds and holding some of that awesome silver too. Everything you had there was unreal. I was soaking up every word you said about water detecting. You'll probably see me out there soon. I've wanted to water detect for years but like I said, after watching your videos, you pushed me over the edge. Great to meet ya and can't wait to see the haul you bring into the next meeting.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Those Minnie/sinkers are awesome!Man talk about telling a story!!

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I like to find them old locks too ! Broken or not ! All them great lead finds sure would keep any hunt from becoming mundane as well ! I sure enjoy your posts and I am happy you are posting on a regular basis . MaineRelic

OP
OP
aquachigger

aquachigger

Jul 29, 2008
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

bearbqd said:
Cool stuff as usual Beau. This is Barry, Vin's friend you met at the meeting the other night. Loved seeing your incredible finds and holding some of that awesome silver too. Everything you had there was unreal. I was soaking up every word you said about water detecting. You'll probably see me out there soon. I've wanted to water detect for years but like I said, after watching your videos, you pushed me over the edge. Great to meet ya and can't wait to see the haul you bring into the next meeting.

Thanks everyone for the comments. It was good meeting you too Barry. I'm glad to hear my talk turned out okay. I'm not much of a public speaker. And RIcoinhunter... I think you may be right on the fishing pole end.

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Lead bullets reused to fishing weights :o ...very interesting.
H

NewsMan

Mar 25, 2011

EagleDown said:
worldtalker said:
Makes you wonder what those locks secured!!!Nice as usual,you always do well!!!
GodBless HH Chris
One of them probably came from a stolen "strong-box" that held: "a whopping 4 1/2 pounds of silver coins"! Can't you imagine the thief stopping at a river crossing, breaking the lock off of the box. Then he removes the gold coins, and as he crosses the river, he nonchalantly tosses the strong-box into the river (with all of the worthless silver coins that due to weight, aren't worth carrying.)??
:laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9:

Better yet... way back when it was a place where a bandit gang used to hang. They would do their robbing then beat it back to their riverside camp where they beat off the locks to get the loot?

Arid-Zone-A-seeker

Jan 26, 2010
High Country Arizona
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter, Tesoro LOBO Supertrac, Garrett Infinium,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

NOLA_Ken said:
what's that brass looking doodad on the bottom?

It is a reel seat,,,From a bass casting rod,,,Bamboo vintage,,about 1930 i'd say. The reel would have been a winch type. later called a "Level Wind". The trigger part would be foward on the seat when the reel was installed.

TheRockDoc

May 28, 2011

those locks are amazing, I can just imagine what they would tell us if they could talk... I can picture the guys smashin and manglin, tearin the lock off whatever it was securing shut, tossing them in the water, "to dispose of the incriminating evidence". Looking around, listening, to make sure they were alone, or that nobody was sneakin up behind them. They were probably just like a MD'er who just started digging a target, just couldnt wait to see what was inside. I never thought I was into history, and I wasnt back in school... to bad they didnt teach it using a different technique... I have learned now that I cant get enough history. T'net style.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread