Recent N Texas fossil finds

kenstein

Sep 28, 2012
N.E. Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 , Pro pointer, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice vertebra, not sure from what. It doesn't look like the Mosasaur pieces that I have found. And an internal mold from something. Both from North Sulphur River. IMGP4576.JPG IMGP4577.JPG IMGP4574.JPG IMGP4578.JPG

Las Vegas Bob

Aug 25, 2005
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds thanks for sharing.

I have found a similar piece that you describe as an internal mold of something. The one I found was attached and running through a hole on a vertebrae, it was bright red as your find is.

I figured from it's precise location on the vertebrae it had to be a preserved portion of the spinal cord.

Last edited:
OP
OP
kenstein

kenstein

Sep 28, 2012
N.E. Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Las Vegas Bob. These were not found together, but in the same section of the river. There is a thin red layer that shows up different times in different places. The Paleontology Society guide book just calls it the "The Red Zone", and fossils from it often have that look. Don't know what the black line through the center is....
I bet that piece you found looks awesome. Do you still have it?

OP
OP
kenstein

kenstein

Sep 28, 2012
N.E. Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
The last image appears to be of a chunk of ammonite. Looks like a gemmy red replacement material -- carnelian, maybe?
Thanks Harry. Fossils from that "RED ZONE" are often of this same material. Could an ammonite have that black streak through the center? I'm just asking, because I haven't a clue. Thanks again for sharing your knowledge; I always value your remarks.....Ken

Las Vegas Bob

Aug 25, 2005
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Las Vegas Bob. These were not found together, but in the same section of the river. There is a thin red layer that shows up different times in different places. The Paleontology Society guide book just calls it the "The Red Zone", and fossils from it often have that look. Don't know what the black line through the center is....
I bet that piece you found looks awesome. Do you still have it?

Unfortunately no. I have looked through my entire collection and it I no where to be found.

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
Thanks Harry. Fossils from that "RED ZONE" are often of this same material. Could an ammonite have that black streak through the center? I'm just asking, because I haven't a clue. Thanks again for sharing your knowledge; I always value your remarks.....Ken

I don't see the black line to which you refer; but, ammonites and nautiloids have a siphuncle, a channel through the successive chambers of the shell. Could that be what you see?

Here's a straight-shelled nautiloid for illustration:
orthocerasdrawing.jpg

OP
OP
kenstein

kenstein

Sep 28, 2012
N.E. Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you Harry for that info and the illustration. I know that you're dead-on correct about this being from an ammonite; not doubting that, but still curious about the black streak. Here is hopefully a better pic. IMGP4580.JPG IMGP4581.JPG Could this be the siphuncle that you referred to? Thanks again, and I'll leave you alone after this.

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
I see now . . . I was looking for something oriented lengthwise. Not sure what this is, but nautiloids have a simple wall (septum) between chambers. (Ammonoids have a complicated, "frilly" wall as seen from the margin.) Could this be the edge of a nautiloid septum between two (well-worn) chambers? The whole thing is a cast, of course, though some original material of the septum may have survived, protected between chambers. Lots of speculation here.

Las Vegas Bob

Aug 25, 2005
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you Harry for that info and the illustration. I know that you're dead-on correct about this being from an ammonite; not doubting that, but still curious about the black streak. Here is hopefully a better pic. View attachment 1144579 View attachment 1144580 Could this be the siphuncle that you referred to? Thanks again, and I'll leave you alone after this.

Reminds me of the intestinal tract line, like on a shrimp.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread