recent ohio creek and field finds

creek astronaut

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2009
fairfield county,ohio
Some recent creek hunts(got skunked 2 out of 4 times out)and some field finds from sunday.think the two field finds may be pinetrees????sunday morning was pretty fun found the 2 points in the first half hour and thought it was going to be one of those killer days,but didnt find much after that first little bit,but it was still a good reward for battling the corn.cant wait until the harvest,should be some good hunting.goodluck hunting everyone.
creek finds
image-1.jpg

DSCF2327.jpg

cool fossil
DSCF2328.jpg

creek treasures.lol.
DSCF2329.jpg

field finds
image1-1.jpg

image-2.jpg

DSCF2330.jpg

DSCF2333.jpg

Upvote 0

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:hello2: Great Hunts Greg. Those pinetrees are nice and you found some large items as well. I thought the fossil that looked like a christmas tree was what you were calling a pinetree till I scrolled down,lol :laughing7:
Like the hemmingrey glass insulator also ??
Glad someone is finding something. If you watch the news about around here we are way under water. I live on a hill a big hill and springs are blowing up out of the ground.
Nice hunts GregRocks
HH
TnMountains

OP
OP
creek astronaut

creek astronaut

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2009
fairfield county,ohio
thx tn mts,yea i watch the weather channel often and was thinkin the other day that you will be finding some good stuff in the creeks and rivers once it stops raining.we have been getting some rain the last couple of days,we needed it.yea i was glad to find some points sunday,been in kind of a slump in the creeks lately.yea it does look like a xmas tree,maybe i will decorate it this year.

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
Good haul Greg. You picked up some nice flint, and alot of interesting stuff. I like that fossil and particularly like the old glass, does that say 1912? I've got an x Dills piece that looks just like the dark cosh pinetree. Thanks for giving us a look. Nice insitu pictures as well, something about seeing them in a state where they were last dropped thousands of years ago is really exciting imo.

OP
OP
creek astronaut

creek astronaut

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2009
fairfield county,ohio
thirty7 said:
Good haul Greg. You picked up some nice flint, and alot of interesting stuff. I like that fossil and particularly like the old glass, does that say 1912? I've got an x Dills piece that looks just like the dark cosh pinetree. Thanks for giving us a look. Nice insitu pictures as well, something about seeing them in a state where they were last dropped thousands of years ago is really exciting imo.
thx 37 and uni.yea i found most of the creek finds in the same day,all but the coshocton scraper.that glass insulator says PATENT DEC 191871,are these things worth anything??people collect everything i figure,looks good on my desk anyways.insitus are my favorite thing to look at when looking at pics of relics.wish i had a cell phone 30 years ago.i do often think just before i pick up (and after i have taken a pic)an artifact,who was the last person to touch this artifact??why was it dropped here or left here?what did it look like here at this very spot 7,000 years ago??got a funny story about the white pinetree i found saturday.true story i swear,i had intended to go to this hump in this field that i have found some real nice early pieces at.i had already found the coshocton pinetree(10 minutes in the field)and i am thinking that was a nice way to start the morning off.took me about ten more minutes to get to this spot i wanted to hunt.so i am rowing it out for about ten minutes and decide it is time to leave a crap,and i happened to be in one of those spots in the field where the corn doesnt grow real well and its almost like there is a little clearing and its a good place to take a break where you dont have a bunch of crap in your face.so i am squatin there and i look over and i see from maybe 8 ft away the white pintree thats in one of the insitu pics.has anyone ever found an arrowhead in this position???lol.

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
Lmao at that one...I like the fact that you're still in search mode even when nature calls...a true artifact hunter. I can't say that I've found one like that, but you can best believe I'm scanning the the ground whilst handling my bizness.

I'd be surprised if that insulator isn't worth something just because of it's antique age? no idea though really, thanks for the laugh.

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
http://insulatoremporium.com/priceguide/priceguide.cfm

I googled glass insulators and turns out there is a market for them and they're popular among collectors, bunch of books and priceguides at the above site. The rare color ones are worth some money, just read one page that said average ones trade at 5 dollars, but bright green, purple, and aquablue are in the 150.00 - 200.00 range in mint condition. I'm gonna keep my eyes open for these now.

OP
OP
creek astronaut

creek astronaut

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2009
fairfield county,ohio
i have often (while taking care of my bizzness)looked around and thought how cool it would be to find a relic while in drop off mode.never thought i actually would ever find one that way,but hey i guess i can scratch that off the bucket list.lol.

Bent-Twig

Jun 9, 2008
North Central Ohio
Wow!!

That is one crappy little point!! :tongue3:

No,,,really,,,I wonder if the indian that knapped that thing out was taking a dump while he was making it. Ya never know.

This is a real shtty situation here!! I cant even get out to hunt , and here you are droppin' a chaluppa and findin' flint.

Awesome finds bro!!

You know ya have skills when you can multi-task like that!!

Twig.

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    2.3 KB · Views: 349

ohio

Bronze Member
May 28, 2007
Greg, nice points. I have found some stuff lately. I need to post them. I found a nice Cobbs and a nice archaic blade last week. I also came up with a broken tube banner that would have been super.

Chuck

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greg
Thats hilarious. Is that why they call in-situ ? Did you crab walk over to it? I am cracking up. Ya never know what goes on behind the rows. Yes on the insulator. I have a bunch of them with my bottle collection. The best ones were from old telegraph poles along rail road tracks. Most our corn has been cut here. It will be months before the water drops here : (.
Happy trails !!

OP
OP
creek astronaut

creek astronaut

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2009
fairfield county,ohio
Bent-Twig said:
Wow!!

That is one crappy little point!! :tongue3:

No,,,really,,,I wonder if the indian that knapped that thing out was taking a dump while he was making it. Ya never know.

This is a real shtty situation here!! I cant even get out to hunt , and here you are droppin' a chaluppa and findin' flint.

Awesome finds bro!!

You know ya have skills when you can multi-task like that!!

Twig.
thx twig,heck i was in this clear area in the field and it seemed like a good drop off point.i could see flint everywhere and so what the heck it was goin to be a good one so why not look at some flint,and there she was and i knew it was somethin.
TnMountains said:
Greg
Thats hilarious. Is that why they call in-situ ? Did you crab walk over to it? I am cracking up. Ya never know what goes on behind the rows. Yes on the insulator. I have a bunch of them with my bottle collection. The best ones were from old telegraph poles along rail road tracks. Most our corn has been cut here. It will be months before the water drops here : (.
Happy trails !!
actually tn mts i cut things off rather quickly,no crab walkin for me i am not that dedicated!lol.yes i do believe that is where the term inshitu did come from.i am kinda stoked about the insulator,i always find broken pieces of them but this is the first perfect one i have found,didnt have a clue certain ones were worth so much.how high is the water in your neck of the woods??

OP
OP
creek astronaut

creek astronaut

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2009
fairfield county,ohio
ohio said:
Greg, nice points. I have found some stuff lately. I need to post them. I found a nice Cobbs and a nice archaic blade last week. I also came up with a broken tube banner that would have been super.

Chuck
thanks for the nice comments everyone,lets see some pics chuck!you sandbaggin on us??good to hear you are finding some good ones.post them up! :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread