Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are a few relics I have found recently on a couple of late 18[SUP]th[/SUP] / early 19[SUP]th[/SUP] century sites in Southwestern PA. I’m still trying to squeeze some relics out of these places by hunting the fringes and digging the iffy signals.

Relics.JPG

This large silver plated item is 1.73” (44mm) diameter but was laying on edge which explains why I didn’t find it before. It has two solder marks on the back and I believe it is a bridal rosette.

RosetteFront.JPG
RosetteBack.JPG

This button was found near the rosette and would have been silver plated at one time. It has a floral design on it. These were popular in the 1780s and 90s.

Button.JPG

I have here what I suspect is a piece of trigger guard from a large gun. It is larger than ones I have found from Brown Bess muskets, but it does not have any mounting holes or tabs, at least on the part I found. It does have a makers mark on the side that would have been facing toward the trigger, and an oval design on the part that would be facing outward. The makers mark appears to be “LD”. The only other possibility for this item that I can think of is some kind of handle. Any thoughts are welcome.
I also found a side plate about 10 feet from where I found the trigger guard. However it appears to be from a smaller gun like a squirrel rifle.
TriggerSide.JPG
GunFurniture.JPG
Mark3.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 22
Yes, Rossette, or horse harness mount/brass/furniture, as we say. (Circular piece, no idea on the other)

The shape of your item reminds me of the " lifters " for a pot bellied stove lid Steve. I just had to look because you are usually identifying finds for others instead of requesting help. Nice finds!

The shape of your item reminds me of the " lifters " for a pot bellied stove lid Steve. I just had to look because you are usually identifying finds for others instead of requesting help. Nice finds!
Thanks OD, would those "lifters" be iron or brass? My piece is brass.

Awesome finds, the marks on the back would be consistent with that of a rosette

Steve, all the lifters I have seen were iron.

DANG NICE FINDS STEVE ..

You know more then 90% of the people on here. I guess the teacher has to learn once in a while also??
Good finds Steve.

Nice relics...love that dandy button..it's always nice when they have a design.

Nice finds as usual , what's the middle pewter lookin round in the last row? I have one of the same, mine has some rust where a shank would be. They're not buttons I don't think

Thanks OD, would those "lifters" be iron or brass? My piece is brass.

In the first photo an early shoe horn came to mind, as it looked concaved.

Nice finds as usual , what's the middle pewter lookin round in the last row? I have one of the same, mine has some rust where a shank would be. They're not buttons I don't think

Are you talking about far right, middle? That is a silver plated button with intact shank.

Looks like a few more keepers there, Steve. Lets hope we can keep digging for a while and not have to deal with frozen ground any time soon.

It does look like a trigger guard to me. And both it and the lock plate kind of look intentionally bent. The lock plate especially looks like it was hammered on after it was bent

Are you talking about far right, middle? That is a silver plated button with intact shank.
Yeah, that's the one , hum ok I guess that is a button , there's a clump of rust on the back of mine, that's why thought it was somethin else , thx

In the first photo an early shoe horn came to mind, as it looked concaved.
Thanks for the suggestion Pepper, but it couldn't be a shoe horn. It is broken at the wide end just where it started to narrow down again.

It does look like a trigger guard to me. And both it and the lock plate kind of look intentionally bent. The lock plate especially looks like it was hammered on after it was bent
Thanks for confirming my thoughts on the trigger guard. I was questioning it due to the lack of mounting holes or tabs. I don't think the side plate was bent intentionally since it was found in a cultivated field and may have taken a plow strike.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back