Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Ya, that was posted on the Beach & Shallow Water forum. Very sad.

Reef Dawg

Dec 30, 2008
Delray Beach
Detector(s) used
Aqua Pulse Klein Side Scan Sonar
I was a guest on a Radio Show today and Daniel Lund was one of the call in guests. He's the lifeguard that was bitten by a shark some years ago while surfing and was the first responder to the Schafer bite in Stuart, Florida. The autopsy showed that Stephen Schafer died of what is termed, "arterial bleedout." This of course accounts for the prodominance of shark victim fatalities. My heart goes out to Stephen's family and my thoughts are with the Lifeguard's heroic actions.

But, as I noticed in the media down here in Florida, they're already posting numerous photos of dead sharks that have been taken by fisherman just off shore. The hysteria that the media enstills in people about these magnificent creatures is an outrage and leads to countless sharks hunts that are spurred on by the general publics' fear. They should truly be ashamed of themselves (the media) for warranting the unsolicited deaths of a species that is on the brink already.

Unlike what the media protrays, shark attacks rarely happen. Most are exploratory bites or bites occurring while the sharks are feeding on schooling fish. And the fatalities are due to the victims bleeding to death because in most cases, they are from from proper medical treatment in remote destinations.

I have been teaching and diving in Florida and international waters for over (28) years now and have yet (knock on wood) even come close to a showdown with any species of sharks. In fact, I was bitten once by a small barracuda and bitten plenty of times by spawning Trigger Fish.

OP
OP
itmaiden

itmaiden

Sep 28, 2005
Photos of Stephen Kitesurfing:

http://www.cbsnews.com/2300-19752_162-10002359.html?tag=contentMain;contentBody

itmaiden

Reef Dawg said:
I was a guest on a Radio Show today and Daniel Lund was one of the call in guests. He's the lifeguard that was bitten by a shark some years ago while surfing and was the first responder to the Schafer bite in Stuart, Florida. The autopsy showed that Stephen Schafer died of what is termed, "arterial bleedout." This of course accounts for the prodominance of shark victim fatalities. My heart goes out to Stephen's family and my thoughts are with the Lifeguard's heroic actions.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread