Recent state park experience

Bazooka

Jan 26, 2007
With all the talk about state park rules, I wanted to share my recent experience. I spent the lat 3 nights at a State park on the states west side. I don’t want to say which one, to protect he innocent :). Basically what I noticed at the park was that there are park rules posted but nothing about detecting. I read them top to bottom. I detected the permitted areas listed on website, but couldn’t help noticing that all other rules that were actually posted with signs were all being fragrantly violated. No alcohol on beach- yeah right! Lots of beer cans and beer bottle tops were present on the beach, and many people openly had beer. I don’t care or mind, I’m just saying. No bikes beyond certain points, or off the raods, yeah right. No climbing on dunes- yeah right. No skate boards or rollerblades on bathroom sidewalks-yeah right. I saw them. Quiet time 10:00 pm – yeah right. No soliciting – sorry, a guy was building and selling bean bag toss games right across the road from us. And running a power sander on them. He didn’t have a for sale sign but he had about 7 sets of the game on display, and asked if we were interested. People were digging 12” deep holes and stuff to level campers, and leaving them behind! I saw it. The lots were sandy dirt with little to no vegetaion. Yet I can’t scrape a little 1” deep hole? Well to tell the truth I detected a few sites that were open, one right next to the front office. I wanted to see if I would draw any attention. Nope. I was very careful about only doing it in sandy ares, and was digging 4” and less, mostly picking surface clad. And judging from my finds I was the first guy. The workers were mostly college kids are aren’t going to say much. So I guess the moral here is that each park has its little personality and things are watched more closely or loosely at some than others. BTW got a 45, 51, and 53 wheat from the sites!!
Totalled $5.53 from the beach and limited sites. Beach was tough, finds were usually quarters, but were scattered. I scoured it pretty hard. Wish I had more time when I was there.

jglunt

Feb 15, 2005
On the big Muskegon River in W. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bazooka said:
With all the talk about state park rules, I wanted to share my recent experience. I spent the lat 3 nights at a State park on the states west side. I don’t want to say which one, to protect he innocent :). Basically what I noticed at the park was that there are park rules posted but nothing about detecting. I read them top to bottom. I detected the permitted areas listed on website, but couldn’t help noticing that all other rules that were actually posted with signs were all being fragrantly violated. No alcohol on beach- yeah right! Lots of beer cans and beer bottle tops were present on the beach, and many people openly had beer. I don’t care or mind, I’m just saying. No bikes beyond certain points, or off the raods, yeah right. No climbing on dunes- yeah right. No skate boards or rollerblades on bathroom sidewalks-yeah right. I saw them. Quiet time 10:00 pm – yeah right. No soliciting – sorry, a guy was building and selling bean bag toss games right across the road from us. And running a power sander on them. He didn’t have a for sale sign but he had about 7 sets of the game on display, and asked if we were interested. People were digging 12” deep holes and stuff to level campers, and leaving them behind! I saw it. The lots were sandy dirt with little to no vegetaion. Yet I can’t scrape a little 1” deep hole? Well to tell the truth I detected a few sites that were open, one right next to the front office. I wanted to see if I would draw any attention. Nope. I was very careful about only doing it in sandy ares, and was digging 4” and less, mostly picking surface clad. And judging from my finds I was the first guy. The workers were mostly college kids are aren’t going to say much. So I guess the moral here is that each park has its little personality and things are watched more closely or loosely at some than others. BTW got a 45, 51, and 53 wheat from the sites!!
Totalled $5.53 from the beach and limited sites. Beach was tough, finds were usually quarters, but were scattered. I scoured it pretty hard. Wish I had more time when I was there.

I live on the West side of the state and your experience is pretty typical. Some of the parks on Lake Michigan are extremely popular and crowded with not only campers but day use folks as well and trying to enforce the rules with limited personell is nigh on to impossible. I always printed out the map of the permitted areas where I planned to hunt and took it with me. if asked, I figured I would show them the map and direct them to their own website....this has only happened once and all it did was upset the ranger even more since he was not interested in anything except his own power trip....I bit my tongue and left without forcing the issue.

Jim

detectordave

Apr 6, 2005
Ann Arbor Meechigan
Detector(s) used
DFX WITH DX-1 PROBE AND XLT WITH XL-1 PROBE
A few months back my wife and I made a trip up the east coast of michigan. I was very surprised at how open people were to us detecting. Ive become scared of asking permission here in Ann Arbor because of all the "NO'S" we get. Usually just a standard reaction to someone digging a hole. I dont think they understand nor want too, exactly what we want. But the people in Tawas for instance told us no problem at all. We did very well at a few campgrounds and city parks. We asked the guy emptying the garbage at the parks. I bet my wife a good sum he would either not understand or just say no. He actually told us a few good spots down by the water. I will be making the trip again soon. People away from cities <park rangers included> are so much more relaxed...its amazing. Hh dave.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread