Recent surface find 1904 Indian Head

RIBottleguy

Apr 10, 2013
South Kingstown, RI
Primary Interest:
Other
Since I don't have a metal detector yet, finding coins can be a difficult task. I got lucky this week! While looking for buttons in a roadside cellar hole, I spotted this guy in a pile of dirt. I just recently started watching the show "Diggers" and already the term "roundness" is stuck in my head!

Since it's not rare I gave it a quick bath in lemon juice. If anyone knows a better way to clean copper coins I'm all ears!

IMG_1653.JPG

Upvote 3

pug

May 14, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have cleaned my Indians with a short warm peroxied bath but now I just rinse them off with soap water and pat them dry put a light coat of some olive oil on them. After few weeks I have looked them over and it seams that the olive oil loosen up more of the crud. I just repeat the process and let them be. Good luck

RelicMedic

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab pro find 35

Minelab Equinox 600

Minelab Excalibur II

Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! That's a great eyeball find! Now, if there are IH pennies just laying on the surface, can you imagine what's under it?! Hope you get a detector soon, and post all the cool finds from that cellar hole!
HH & Great digs ahead

OP
OP
R

RIBottleguy

Apr 10, 2013
South Kingstown, RI
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow! That's a great eyeball find! Now, if there are IH pennies just laying on the surface, can you imagine what's under it?! Hope you get a detector soon, and post all the cool finds from that cellar hole!
HH & Great digs ahead

Thanks,
The owner actually had someone come down with a metal detector before me! Either he wasn't very thorough or his detector wasn't that good. I would probably need a detector that could pinpoint good stuff surrounded by iron.

RelicMedic

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab pro find 35

Minelab Equinox 600

Minelab Excalibur II

Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really?! Well, I guess that is motivation to get in there with a machine. All you would need is an entry to mid level machine, depending on finances, and a pinpointer...especially for around the rocks in the walls. It doesn't matter what detector you buy...it's only as good as the person operating it.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HH & Great digs ahead

I've found more IHs on the surface than digging them.

Always look down!

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice coin
wow2.gif

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful Indian. Personally, I wouldn't clean it anymore. Looks good as is. How about doing dome sifting of that dirt. You could build something simple and see if there is anything else there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread