Recent "Treasure "stories from Mexico

doc-d

Bronze Member
May 19, 2013
Pacific Northwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Senor Don Jose, when I write or speak with friends in the states now I put the temps as is used here and in Mexico, Centagrade…….

azaz

Greenie
Feb 13, 2013
arizona
Primary Interest:
Other
I'll get the ski parka packed to send you amigo, I can tell you'll need it when it gets down to 26C Don Jose. Thought I'd better keep it celsius to keep doc happy...

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a Mexican Treasure Story I can share SOME of. This is in the mountains of Northern Sonora. A small mining town that shall (for the present) remain nameless. The year is 1723.

The village had been viciously attacked many times by Indians. The decision was made by the local military to move the village South until the local Indians could be pacified. The village wealth was to be hidden in the mountains adjoining the village. A letter was written by the Military Commander detailing how to recover the wealth of the village. A small wall at one end of the village that faced the mountains was also used by the townspeople to engrave symbols that showed the way to their wealth. It took many years to pacify the Indians. In that course of time, the letter disappeared. The locals could not decipher what their fathers had engraved in that wall either. And so things sat until a descendant of the Military Commander found the letter while going through some family history (in the 1980s). Using the letter, the locals found the first step in finding the treasure. The Church Bell had been hidden separately from everything else, and was used to tell that you were deciphering the letter correctly. Once you found the bell, you should be able to follow the rest of the steps in the letter to get to the wealth.

Only problem (and the reason why the village is remaining names for the present) ................................. This area is owned, brutally ruled, and fought over by three major drug cartels. Also, the local police and Federales are all corrupt and the people do not trust them. They believe that if word gets back to the cartels, they would kidnap and torture everybody in the town until they found the location of the treasure. I know the story because a good friend of mine was initially called by someone in the town to help in translating and deciphering the letter and the wall. He in turn called me to help him.

Here is the bell:

sonmissionbell3smxi9.jpg sonmissionbell1nx0.jpg

........ and here is one picture of the engravings from the wall:

sonwall2smbf5.jpg

Since I am at work right now, I don't have access to all my pics. If you look carefully, you will see that the main focus point of this picture is a Cross in a Heart. We take that to mean that this Bell and a goodly chunk of the treasure is Jesuit. After all, the Franciscans didn't really use the Sacred Heart in their symbolism.

So the poor people of this town are at an impasse. They know the cartels will murder them all for the money. They think the Police and Federales will either steal everything or rat them out to the cartels. For many years now (last I heard) the treasure was still hidden.

Mike

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello gollum thanks for the interesting story. I might have some thing that might interest ya.

Check ya mail shortly.

Need a coffee first:coffee2:

Crow

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello gollum thanks for the interesting story. I might have some thing that might interest ya.

Check ya mail shortly.

Need a coffee first:coffee2:

Crow

Got it. Thanks.

Not the same story. Mine has never (that I know of) ever been published anywhere. I know its not in any treasure books, and I haven't seen it in any magazines. I even searched for versions in newspaper archives, and can't find it. From everything I have learned while helping those people, they knew the money was close. They even knew the couple of mountains it was stashed in. They just couldn't figure out the clues in the letter and on the wall. Everything they did was on the down low (so to speak).

It has been about seven years since I had anything to do with that story. If I had to guess, the people there have probably been slowly recovering small bits and pieces over the years, and keeping a low profile about it.

Mike

OP
OP
lilorphanannie

lilorphanannie

Apr 19, 2008
the symbol of a cross with a heart is most frequently taken to mean "for the love of God" , it also depends on the characters written before and after. in my humble opinion it is not a classical jesuit symbol. but not all priests were trained in the textbook symbols. just my first impression.

OP
OP
lilorphanannie

lilorphanannie

Apr 19, 2008
tha fact that the bell was hidden suggests more strongly that the secreting of the treasure is jesuit. bells were secreted as part of the treasure hoard because the plan was to return. not because the bells contained gold or silver, non contained gold and silver was added just enough to make the bell "peal". ,but the difficulty of getting a new bell and the logistics of transporting such a cumbersome over mountain passes. with a bell and some adobe brick you have a new church.

doc-d

Bronze Member
May 19, 2013
Pacific Northwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Senor Gollum, I have memories of a rather heavy radio, the PRC I hoped never to need carry……..

The heart with cross inside is interesting but as for it being Jesuit, that remains unclear to me, perhaps pictures surrounding it may help to clarify it……

Given the narcos in the territory, the recovery in small amounts over time would seem prudent……yet if this is near a narco camp, I would guess they would have observers stationed and repeated trips to an area without explanation could raise questions……

Chilly now being only 22, but it will be warming up later to 32……..usually the high temps here run 29 to 33…………..time for some coffee to greet the new day and warm up………...

azaz

Greenie
Feb 13, 2013
arizona
Primary Interest:
Other
Took a look at Real de Catorce, very interesting place. Definitely would like to check that place out sometime. Ever give guided tours Annie? Sounds like you know lots of interesting places to visit

OP
OP
lilorphanannie

lilorphanannie

Apr 19, 2008
In response to AZAZ. I have been very fortunate to visit some unique places in my work and travels .Many of them do not appear anywhere in writing nor on the internet. Real de Catorce is surely one of them although now it is being developed for rural tourism and is listed as a” pueblo magico”one of about 30 such places in Mexico . I visited once years ago when it was a true ghost town and probably half a dozen times @ the year 2000 when I was involved with the silver bars I mentioned here on treasurenet. It is also a sacred land to the Huichol Indians who make a yearly pilgrimage to harvest the peyote catcus . I was also fortunate to be part of a BBC documentary filmed there about their pilgrimage . There is nothing more that I would love to do than someday show people what I’ve discovered but my day to day commitments and responsibilities do not allow for that freedom. I know many secrets about Catorce that are lost to history . Even if you go as a tourist it will be well worth the trip as the altiplano climate is exhilarating and the night sky is like a fireworks show. To reach the town one must enter a long tunnel cut through the mountains. And the air is permeated with the smell of mesquite burning. In the immediate area is a hidden canyon where the orginal miners ground the super rich oxidized ore in arrastras(not shown on maps and completely forgotten). Still a lot of rich ore lying around, a world class orange calcite deposits lies in the mountain range to the north, abandoned mines nearby with stacks of ore bars inside. And excellent “birria”at roadside stalls. Plus half a dozen other exotic delicacies.

coazon de oro

Bronze Member
May 7, 2010
texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy lilorphanannie,

I hope you have, or get clear directions to all those places worth uncovering some day just in case you don't get to uncover them yourself. You can leave it in a will for your loved ones, sealed envelope with their names.

I was in Kileen just last month in a birthday party. I am fascinated with treasure stories just by reading them, I can only imagine hearing them with all the hand gestures lol. I have some friends who have hunted all their lives, they were eight brothers, and one sister. When ever, and where ever we meet, all they talk about is hunting, and man do they get into it. If we are at a gas station, they may kneel by the corner of the bumper to take a shot. If we meet at Wal-Mart, they will hide behind the tires, or crouch under some cloth racks as they make their kill.:laughing7:

This story just made me hungry. My wife has been craving homemade "tripitas" all week long, this weekend we had nasty weather, and I couldn't oblige her. Now you have to bring up "birria".

Homar

azaz

Greenie
Feb 13, 2013
arizona
Primary Interest:
Other
We all love your stories Annie and look forward to many more. Plus, it gives some of us new places to consider going that otherwise we'd have never known about. Thanks and keep those great tales coming.

OP
OP
lilorphanannie

lilorphanannie

Apr 19, 2008
Hi to all, As I’ve mentioned before I’m not a treasure hunter although I do post here on this site and through my running around I am occasionally approached by people with treasure stories so I like to think of myself as a treasure hunter of sorts. Also I’m fluent in Spanish, read write and speak and that has given me access to a whole different source for information. In my opinion much more accurate information and more intimately connected to the source. To be a successful treasure hunter one needs information that no one else has and substantial capital and expertise in a rather unique set of skills in order to be successful. Building those skills has been a life’s work, studying geology, metallurgy, dialects, local geography and history and be comfortable in the field with different conditions and different cultures. Knowing the mood and mindset of the people, plus being aware of the legal aspects of the particular activity one is pursuing. As a kid I recycled car batteries , later on as I wrote here I recycled catalytic convertors, then I moved on to suction dredging, then I setup a couple of gold placer operations ,then I offered my services as a mining consultant, as I saw most people running around Latin America completely lost and losing money. I thought ,I knew I could help them to the point of guaranteeing success. This work took me to many countries and involved me in many commodities, diamonds ,emeralds ,gold ,platinum ,silver ,mercury, talc, zeolites, calcium carbonate ,strontium, gypsum , jade, serpentine, phosphates, barite, opals and lead. I can tell you that with anyone of these activities one can net over 100k per year with a little capital and a proper plan and proper knowledge within two or three years of growth pains and getting through the learning curve just by oneself. After that one can get to 200 to 400k if one has that ambition, and working completely alone. And the product is right in front of you, not hidden, it doesn’t have to be decoded, etc. So, although seduced by treasure stories as a child and that magical and addictive urge to seek and find is what initially struck my interest, I quickly saw the probabilities of success and risk to reward were nowhere near reasonable. So I once again became a junk man ,looking around for what no one wants, ore piles, slag piles, deep pools in streams containing gold , buying gemstones ,faceting them and sending them to auction, these are my treasures. I rarely post here, and I’m usually working. But for the last 10 years or so I’ve been reading here ,about the same people and discussing whats on the other side of the mountain or the other side of the world. Yes its great reading, and I understand that most are elderly, most are armchair treasure seekers, and most are probably bored. Meanwhile Ive been plodding along with my little treasures one by one. I say this not to be presumptuous, only to offer another train of thought and hopefully encourage others to think outside the box as to what could be attainable for them wherever they are. I promise that there are treasure opportunities out there. From looking for vintage clothing at yard sales (I recently saw where a girl in LA started this idea and now sells on a website which is valued at 50 million dollars, she was on TV promoting her book about her journey) to taking a class to facet gemstones(you can work your way up to a master faceter level if that’s what you want) to building a backyard forge and hunt for scrap metal. At a higher level, there are two excellent schools, in the USA to train one to be a diamond buyer. Upon graduation they will actively seek investors (if you’re good enough) for which you will go to all parts of the world to buy rough stones in the field on their behalf. Eventually you can also buy for yourself. I can go on and on about the possibilities. As for treasure leads I do feel I have a couple that exhibits more than enough data to get anyone off of their chair,but I will never pursue them. I also know of mining deposits where the ore can be dug up right on the surface of the earth and be sold for a thousand dollars per ton. No processing, nothing, just dig and load up and drive to the buyer. I also know of pools in streams that based on personal calculations should exceed 300 lbs in gold minimum , and should be completely mined in 4 months of low water,the dry season. Small mine dumps completely unknown that calculate via assay over 7 million in silver, and could be completely processed in 24 months or so. So there are many possibilities out there. As far as leaving detailed information , well my children are grown and have no interest at all although my work as a modern day prospector has given them very secure lives. I have frequently wished for a partner (I really don’t need one, but sometimes I wish I had a real friend to run around with) and I would think that a partner should bring something to the table , knowledge ,equipment , connections ,capital ,something. But they never have anything and disappear. I have given away incredible mines to people and companies for free, and I never hear from them again. I have given mines , locations, reports for free and I see these people on internet mining sites trying to raise money on those properties, of which they are not the owner , and have no contractual agreement with the owner. I have flown halfway around the world to setup a project for people and when its time to act they disappear. So Ive had really bad luck with people, and I do just fine on my own. My wife is my best friend and partner but shes a professor ,loves her work and now is seldom free. Its our hope to attack one of the larger projects in a few years just for the fun of it to see if we can pull it off. I am happy to help anyone in anyway I can. But those who are destined to truly succeed in these “treasure”activities will most likely have enough personal drive and ambition to strike their own path. There are quite a few people who have carved out their lives in this manner ,in an atypical manner somewhat under the radar, in the world of mining , gemstones and treasures. Some of them are personal heroes of mine. The idea ,in my mind is to be successful, and Id rather be successful recycling computer scrap and mastering it ,than to dream about something that’s well beyond my reach. I too ,enjoy immensely reading about Gengis Khan, to Moctezuma to Al Capone. And all in between. So keep those stories coming.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OA, you sound more or less, like me --( to your disadvantage ) Too bad we couldn't have partnered. I too have offered mines, placers, businesses freely with no strings attached ,but no takers, even offered what can easily be the lost mine of El Naranjal, which is on our concession , to be protected by our concession with no information on it held back but no takers, plus other things that have led me me to believe that most are lacking in courage or domestic - families - take precedence.

I had the concession on the wild charolois cattle in the Yaqui country of the Bacatetes, but no takers, the Bank now holds the concessions.(Title ) to the wild cattle.

As you may remember I offered information on the Rio San Lorenzo with it's many proven Placer pools, but, As for my pearl Tayopa, -----. Yes orphan Anie, we are alike in many respects, we probably could have gotten along quite well.

I still would like to be your friend by internet.Together we span some 75 years of investigation of Mexico. from when it was basically still road less, a horse and mule country and most of the old mines were up for grabs I once had a part interest in the Lluvia do Oro mine, but my partner let it go for non payent of taxes without letting me know now ?? now ptoducing yeah many millions of Gold yearly.

Sigh.

Last edited:
OP
OP
lilorphanannie

lilorphanannie

Apr 19, 2008
good to hear from you don jose. yes it would have been great to work with you. you are the reason i began to post on this site in the first place. at any rate we have to keep the faith and our health. id love to get over to alamos some day and meet you in person over that cup of coffee. dont be suprised if that happens. meanwhile keep the faith.

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other
hello lilorphanannie it seem Don Jose is not the only who should write a book.

If ya do get the chance to visit Don Amigo give him a boot up the backside for me...He has got a book to finish.....

Crow

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread