Recent War For Southern Independence Finds

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I found these Civil War relics the week before this past Christmas. Nine .58 minie balls, two .69's, three .58 Confederate Gardners, one long-model "commercial" Sharps bullet, made for the .52-caliber Sharps Rifle/Carbine. (As Cannonball Guy once informed me: "It is called a "commercial" Sharps bullet because it was put on the market for civilian use, rather than for the army.") Another unidentified CW bullet, a pistol bullet, musket ball, the tail end of an exploded Shenkl shell, two brass rivets, one brass cap-box finial, a brass piece that looks like it may be off a trigger guard and another that looks like it might be part of a spur or sword guard. I also found another unidentified brass piece, iron piece, melted lead and melted brass. Not too bad for a day's fun and adventure.

All of these relics were found on a battlefield (on private property with the owner's permission) where one of my ancestors fought and was wounded. I'm working on a Youtube video of the hunt. In posting this, I was reminded of some great lines that Steve Sylvia wrote in the most recent issue of North South Civil War Trader's:

He held each relic he unearthed with a reverence regardless of its scarcity or market value. To him, relics were documents of valor and sacrifice and were worthy of devoted appreciation no matter their affiliation, North or South.

He enjoyed reading extensively about a campaign and then visiting the site, gazing the vistas the soldiers saw, walking the fields and wood lots where they marched and deployed, crossing the creeks they crossed, climbed the hills they scaled, and searching for the relics that testified to their having been there.

I could not agree more.

Attachments

• 12_19_13_cwfinds.JPG
    12_19_13_cwfinds.JPG
    284.9 KB · Views: 226
Last edited:
Upvote 19
There's really nothing that makes history be more than just a story in a book. Actually finding something that ties you to all that went before.

Nice!

Southern Independence.
Northern Aggression.

"Can't we all just get along?"

I like to think of it as the coming together as ONE nation. The greatest ever to come along.

Nice rescues... love the Shenkl fragment...

Awesome post and excellent recoveries. L@@king forward to seeing that video. :thumbsup:
Congrats,
MM

Southern Independence.
Northern Aggression.

I like to think of it as the coming together as ONE nation. The greatest ever to come along.

I think most of that is tongue in cheek yankee ribbin'. :laughing7: (I've got two son in laws that are yankees!)

There is, however, a school of thought that in regards to accuracy, "Southern War for Southern Independence" is the correct term, as one professor from the Citadel has noted. But I'm ok with that term, with War Between the States or Civil War.

Last edited:
Really nice finds Richard!! Those relics are very special and you pay homage to your ancestor by recovering them. HH, Q.

Great recoveries. The fact that one of your kin people actually fought in the area of that site makes it even more special.
I always enjoy seeing finds from the war of northern aggression...
Thank you for showing:)

Nice finds and great post. I really enjoyed reading it. Can't wait to see the video!

Old Stonewall, are you a member of the SCV?

Great thread, nice read. Your all a bunch of great guys digging up history.

Well done sir. I agree that a relic or artifact remains just that until you learn the story. The story brings it to life. You have always brought your relics to life in your post.
Nice digs Stonewall !
HH
TnMtns

Southern Independence.
Northern Aggression.

I can't agree more and have written my personal feelings below as I had family members that served on both sides during the Civil War!

For our Fore Fathers stood on battlefields of the Great War between the States and made their families proud. It matters not which side they fought on, it matters only that they had conviction that what they were doing was right and served with honor. May we all remember those who served and fell during this Great War, that they may be honored for their sacrifices and not the differences of their convictions! May they all rest with ease and with the coming of our Lord, may they find the long sought Peace that they sorely fought to obtain in life!

Frank E. Ferrell

Well said buddy! That really sums it up nicely and helps to put things in perspective. I've learned a LOT recently through my research as to the sacrifices that those came before us made. I'm amazed when I read about the struggles of the colonists and it continued throughout history with the hard fought wars our men and women served in. My Irish and Scottish ancestors came to Maine and one family had there house burned in 1720 narrowly escaping death. This was commonplace in those times and I wish more people would get in touch with this important history.
It really is an honor to find these important historical items. Now that I've bored you with my rambling :-) Great finds. All the best, Abe

Well said buddy! That really sums it up nicely and helps to put things in perspective. I've learned a LOT recently through my research as to the sacrifices that those came before us made. I'm amazed when I read about the struggles of the colonists and it continued throughout history with the hard fought wars our men and women served in. My Irish and Scottish ancestors came to Maine and one family had there house burned in 1720 narrowly escaping death. This was commonplace in those times and I wish more people would get in touch with this important history.
It really is an honor to find these important historical items. Now that I've bored you with my rambling :-) Great finds. All the best, Abe

You did not bore me at all. This is what it's all about. How many of us hunt for fortune? I don't know anyone, despite some of the hype we see on the TV MD shows - the vast majority of us do it for the "thrill of the hunt", the mystery, the adventure and, most importantly, a chance to discover and preserve some history that would otherwise likely be lost. Thank you!

Thanks everyone for the nice comments!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back