Recently acquired stuff

Hippy

Dec 15, 2008
Here's a few pics of some pieces that I've recently acquired. The first two flints are a Stillwell and Dove and the Stillwell measures 4 1/8" long. I love the serrations on this piece and it's probably only been resharpened once. Both pieces are very well made. The next pic is of a Jersey Bluff type Discoidal from Greene County, Illinois. The next is a classic Wisconsin winged bannerstone followed by an Iowa Square axe. The last pic is of a Prarie Du Chien flint Osceola point. Prarie Du Chien flint is very pretty material but extremely hard to knap becuase of the impurities. Most of the points made from PDC are thick and roughly made.

Jeff

IMG_2172.jpg

IMG_2173.jpg

IMG_2177.jpg

IMG_2179.jpg

IMG_2183.jpg

Upvote 0

Jonzer

Feb 12, 2010
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Natural Eyeball Pressure
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweeet!
21 years of hunting and I still don't have a discoidial or a banner stone. Not even a piece.

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful artifacts! :icon_thumright:

Mooch

Dec 14, 2008
Very nice Hippy

I hope to see them at Collinsville, its coming up quick.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really great artifacts. Good looking game stone. Nice additions to your collection.

OP
OP
H

Hippy

Dec 15, 2008
Thanks for the replies everyone.

I use a Canon Powershot A570 for a camera with a light tent and some full spectrum lights. I'm testing and playing with different backgrounds but have had the best luck with a light blue.

Mooch, I'm definitely looking forward to Collinsville. It should be a good artifact weekend. I'll probably have most of these with me.

Jonzer, I've been lucky enough to find one banner and one disc and half of another. They aren't easy to find but you never know where one will show up. I found all of them in places I didn't really expect to find much but that's why we look I guess. What part of Illinois do you live in? I live in Rock Island which is the Quad City area in northwest Illinois.

Hippy

Road Dog

Apr 16, 2009
North Carolina
Great artifacts! I have a soft spot for the Wisconsin Stuff since my family is from there. I like to think of the possibility of one of my past relatives might have used some of this stuff. :headbang:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread