recession good or bad for metal detecting

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last big recession in the U.K. it was bad for the detector user as so many people ended up on benefits. Now they had no money but plenty of time for the hobby. I remember going to Blackpool beach and there was teams of people in rows detecting along the sand.

A few years back we had a similar situation as "Foot and Mouth" disease meant that land detecting had to stop for some months. Everyone moved to beach detecting even if they didn't really like it. Beaches got stripped of finds in no time. Things took a long time to recover.

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depend on who you are. Now if you are a dealer it is back as no one is buying detectors. Now if you are a detectorist it could be good depends on where you live. I have done pretty good this year in the few times that I have gotten out. Now I have not done as much as I would like due to money funds. But I have made a few good finds......Matt

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Recession? - bad - been on forced o.t. most of the year, work is getting in the way of my dirtfishing

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread