rechargeable batteries

ps249

Dec 17, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just picked up 8 AA NIMH batteries at Walmart. Total cost was $21.20 (with tax).
They are the RayOvac recharge plus brand.
An 8 pack of 8 AA standard (non rechargeable batteries) will only cost $7 out the door but the rechargables will pay for themselves over the long haul.

Last edited:

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get a set with the highest mAh rating you can find for the longest life between recharges. Recharge after each use.

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hope you charged them before you used them. Rechargables have a lower voltage than alkalines and strait out of the box should be charged first for best performance. The output voltage is good enough for sound detector operation however you'll need to use deeper batteries for longer performance as compared to alkalines.

fliermartin

Sep 11, 2014
southeast wisconsin
Detector(s) used
ATgold and Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been using rayovac and energizer they both have worked well for me. I got my energizers as a bulk lot on ebay for a good price. now I have plenty of spares ready to go all the time.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My first detector used 8 AA's and I bought over 40 bucks worth of rechargeables so I always had a charged spare set. Since I use the AT Pro now, I have MANY sets because it only uses 4. I am sure that using them for the last year and a half has more than paid for themselves.

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Whatever brand you choose to get, be sure to also get a good charger. There are cheap chargers that will take all day to charge your batteries, and they don't shut off when they do charge the battery. Overcharging will ruin your batteries. So look for smart chargers. My charger will charge dead batteries in 2 hours and then stop charging when they are fully charged.

NWMP

Nov 20, 2009
Riding a unicorn in the Saskatchewan mountains
Detector(s) used
Tejon, AT Pro, Simplex, Legend, and I still go home with a hand full of clad and junk some days.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My old ACE 250 and my AT Pro run can run on 2000 mah Duracell rechargeables. I tried the 2650 MAH and they did not work. Get a back up set if you are running rechargeables.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive got two sets of Energizers for my AT pro and Im very happy with them...saved me a lot of money over the last four years.

blong10

Apr 9, 2014
New Castle
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD2, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Garrett AT PRO,
X-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also use Energizers and they last pretty long and they have also saved me money over the long run.

n3umw

Greenie
Jul 16, 2006
Germantown MD
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab X70, Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For a BACKUP AA battery pack, use alkaline or low self discharge rechargeables like Eneloop. Either one can sit for a year and still have a good charge.

I use nothing but Eneloop from Amazon in my XLT, Ace 250, and Minelab X70. They are always ready to go, no matter how long they have been sitting. A 4-pack is $20.

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My detector calls for alkaline batteries and the manual specifically states that you shouldn't use heavy duty or any non alkaline battery.

It takes one 9V. I'm wondering if I get rechargeable nickel metal hydride batteries if they'll really make a difference or decrease performance.

Anyone have an answer to that one??
Thanks in advance.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread