tomclark

Bronze Member
Dec 18, 2006
Tampa Bay, FL
Detector(s) used
ShadowX2, TEJON, Eyes, Pony Shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Anyone ever see this material or a point type like it??? When I was about 12 I was helping my father paint the inside of a house in NJ where an archaeologist lived. During lunch I got real excited and he gave me this point, I've had it for over 46 years or so and never remembered what he said except it was a nice one. LOL. Doesn't even look like any material, type or work from the US I've ever seen. Basal thinning, pretty good work, the very tip looks like it has a burin.......

Ever see such a thang??

Upvote 0

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like some chert from GA but it might just be patina making it that way. round based guilford?

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom... That reminds me of those ooooooold ones from across the pond. "Acheulian"

Last edited:
OP
OP
tomclark

tomclark

Bronze Member
Dec 18, 2006
Tampa Bay, FL
Detector(s) used
ShadowX2, TEJON, Eyes, Pony Shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Tom... That reminds me of those ooooooold ones from across the pond. "Acheulian"

Don't it?!?!?!?
Might just send this one off, since I didn't find it, to an authenticator.......only second time I've ever done that....just to find out what material/area.....but myself and others on these boards are probably more than adequate to get that info.
I know it ain't Florida, LOL.

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The material looks a bit like either coastal chert or jasper from PA (banded?). It's weathered and is developing (or was developing) a light/white 'crust', but you can see what's beneath. I see chunks of that rock around here (not far from NJ) that were cracked open- either by humans or nature, where the weathered exterior gives way to that darker caramel brown, often banded w/ black. I think I have a piece that looks similar in style, but I may have given it to the dentist whose property it was found on. I'll look around. It's quartz, so a bit different- and harder to examine flaking style- if you can see it at all.
Cool piece. I'd be interested in what you find out! Yakker

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Just to add to the confusion, that could very easily be an early archaic blade from Southern Illinois or Western Kentucky. Cobb, Stanfield, Tennessee River knife. If I found that laying out there it wouldn't look in the least bit out of place.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So does this look like a match for you Tom? Im not sure if it is chert or wood. Found in N GA in my backyard while mowing.

Attachments

• SDC10856.JPG
    SDC10856.JPG
    756.7 KB · Views: 57
  • SDC10857.JPG
    SDC10857.JPG
    701.9 KB · Views: 62
  • SDC10858.JPG
    SDC10858.JPG
    787.4 KB · Views: 65

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread