Recommendations for a water machine?

willisjj

Nov 2, 2005
Owasso, Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Current: Minelab Equinox 800, Tesoro Cibola

Past: Sovereign GT, Garrett Treasure Ace 250, Tesoro Compadre, Etrac, Sovereign XS, Whites 6000D, Garrett Master Hunter BFO
I have never water hunted, but am thinking of giving it a try. I will have some extra money soon and decided to buy a few things that I have wanted for years and haven't had the chance to buy. Don't want to break the bank on a machine, but do want a decent detector though. I am in Oklahoma and would be detecting lakes, ponds, and creeks and such. What would you recommend?

Also..(yep..not done yet, lol)...most of these lakes around here are not sandy bottomed, but are covered with fist size rocks, flint and such. Is that a problem, do I still use one of those "scoops"? Anyway, thanks again...

Upvote 0

au4me

Mar 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whatever get"s the job done
Willis,

Tesoro Tigershark, Get a mask and snorkel that"s what I do.It works.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

TonyinCT

Mar 14, 2006
Granby, CT
I would also likt to reccomend the Tiger Shark or Excal. The Tiger is the budget priced unit and the Excal is the top of the line unit. If you need more help with your decision please let me know.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tony is right. I use the Excal and the Tiger Shark for the water. I would still get a huge scoop when you can afford it, something like the Sunspot. Till then the mask and snorkle will do for the bigger rocks.

Tony forgot his link www.tcmetaldetectors.com

Attachments

• STEALTH SCOOP (WinCE).jpg
    STEALTH SCOOP (WinCE).jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 138
  • STEALTH SCOOP (WinCE).jpg
    STEALTH SCOOP (WinCE).jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 138
OP
OP
willisjj

willisjj

Nov 2, 2005
Owasso, Oklahoma
Detector(s) used

Past: Sovereign GT, Garrett Treasure Ace 250, Tesoro Compadre, Etrac, Sovereign XS, Whites 6000D, Garrett Master Hunter BFO
Thanks for all of the great advice. I really appreciate it!

spez401

Jul 13, 2006
Coventry, RI
Detector(s) used
Excal
excalibur... hands down
also... a good scoop... I prefer the sunspot, but nutall makes a great one, and there are several from proscoops, and rtg as well.

steve

OP
OP
willisjj

willisjj

Nov 2, 2005
Owasso, Oklahoma
Detector(s) used

I am definately a Minelab man, but didn't want to spend that much. Maybe I can find a used one for a decent price....anyway...thanks!

spez401

Jul 13, 2006
Coventry, RI
Detector(s) used
Excal
Willis
I picked up my current excal 800 on ebay for 525 shipped to my door. It was still under warranty (something that i think is important in buying electronics on ebay, even though I haven't had a problem). As soon as I got it, i sent it off to minelab in Vegas and they did a complete checkup for me.

keep checking around, you'll probably find a used one cheaper.

steve

OP
OP
willisjj

willisjj

Nov 2, 2005
Owasso, Oklahoma
Detector(s) used

How much does Minelab charge to do that? I have had my Sovereign for 10 years now almost and although it seems to work as well as the day I bought it, a little PMCS on it wouldn't hurt. Can I find the info on the Minelab webpage?

spez401

Jul 13, 2006
Coventry, RI
Detector(s) used
Excal
When I sent my excal in, it was still under warranty. checkup was free, and they even paid for shipping back to me.

Not sure about cost for an out of warranty machine. Hit their website, get the number and give them a call.

steve

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread