Reconnaissance Trip Turns Into a Great Hunt, Best Spoon to Date!

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I swear I was just checking out a site to hunt when the spring thaw came. I found where it was likely to be based on the 1850's maps, but there wasn't a trace of a cellar hole. So of course I break out the metal detector to see if I can't find some square nails and confirm my suspicions and have a great spot when winter breaks. The first target is a crushed soda can so no help there, but the second was a pewter spoon bowl. That's a good sign and essentially mission accomplished, but then I get a similar signal out of the hole. And as I'm poking around the sidewall out pops the silver beauty in the center.

DSC08879.JPG DSC08881.JPG DSC08882.JPG

Yeah... I was there for three more hours after that. :laughing7: It's triple plated, so not sterling, but the engraved letter "D" corresponds with the owner of the property in the 1850's, a Mr. Delevan which is just incredible. When I hunt these old sites, that's exactly what I'm looking for: items that were personalized for the property owners.

There were targets everywhere, but most were modern trash contamination. There was a surprising amount of aluminum sheeting that had been crumpled and heavily corroded.

DSC08887.JPG

About every fourth target was something interesting though so I kept at it. I found a small coin spill, but it was relatively modern.

1936 Wheat
1946 Wheat
1952-D Wheat
1948 Nickel

I also found the cosmetic box marked "Lady Mary Vivaudou Paris New York" which is apparently 1920's.

DSC08884.JPG

A large dandy button was a welcome find and I hope that means colonial targets are around. I also found what I thought was an aluminum collar and ended up being a large bracelet. It's stamped "W. Germany" which I know usually means costume jewelry, but it has a distinct silver oxidation to it and I accidentally nicked it so I know it's not plated. Could it be sterling even without a hallmark?

DSC08883.JPG DSC08885.JPG DSC08886.JPG

It's supposed to get into the teens this week so I expect everything will freeze solid and my reconnaissance trips will no longer involve a shovel. Still though; what a way to break in a site!

Upvote 5

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread