Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2005
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT Classic
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a Heart Breaker :-\ For two years now, I have been coming across tons of flakes from beautiful red quartz material but have not found a red point. This weekend, while on a hunt with Charlie, I was thinking of how there MUST be a red point around here somewhere. Not 10 minutes later, I stumble across this beautiful red quartz triangle shaped point. Of course… it’s a heartbreaker but the cell phone pics just don’t do it justice. It is still very sharper and the base is tapered as are the edges. The center is slightly thicker than the rest and it is very well made. It was in the river, so who knows how long it has been being ground against other rocks in the surf. Any ideas on the type? As many of you have seen in my past posts, my area is full of points that are not to be found in Overstreet or other books. While many here believe that much of what I believe are points. Are really Geofacts, this one is without a doubt a man crafted tip of some kind. Now I am motivated to find one that is not broken.

Attachments

• April 4 red HB1.jpg
    April 4 red HB1.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 297
  • April 4 red HB2.jpg
    April 4 red HB2.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 299
  • April 4 red HB3.jpg
    April 4 red HB3.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 299
Upvote 0

Get-the-point

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
PA. NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like a Levanna if the base was more flat instead of the flare it would have been a Madison. Looks to be a Jersey piece. I have found that Rose Quartz before in NJ. I had a collection that was stolen from NJ and in that I had the most beautiful Rose Quartz hafted scraper. I actually called my hunting buddy from across the field to show it to him. IT was 3" long by almost 2-3/4" wide, had the base the round top and graver it was a magnificent piece and some crook stole that and a bunch of other pieces...........

OP
OP
Airborne80

Airborne80

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2005
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT Classic
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get-the-point said:
It looks like a Levanna if the base was more flat instead of the flare it would have been a Madison. Looks to be a Jersey piece. I have found that Rose Quartz before in NJ. I had a collection that was stolen from NJ and in that I had the most beautiful Rose Quartz hafted scraper. I actually called my hunting buddy from across the field to show it to him. IT wa 3" long by almost 2-2/4" wide, had the base the round top and graver it was a magnificent piece and some crook stole that and a bunch of other pieces...........

Thanks for the comments GTP. I appreciate the intel and will look up the names that you refer to and see what they look like. I am in Northern VA and with the exception of the white and crystal quarts that I find here, most material is not as pretty as other areas of the country. Finding points that made their way down from the North is a blessing for me :wink: You know.... the more that I hear about folks having collections stolen, the more I am thinking of taking my framed points off of the wall and putting them into the gunsafe. if mine were stolen, I would be sick!!! Each of my perfect points constitutes (as you know) many hours of searching and to loose them would be beyond sad. I am sorry to hear about your loss of points but it seems like you are back on the path to collecting some beauties again. Thanks again and stay safe!

pynchinflint

Dec 31, 2007
Bama
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice to see you back out hunting points Airborne. I wrote you a post back on Nov. 20, 08 entitled Hey Airborne80. Not sure if you saw it, but, I think I had a couple of points similar to the red/orange color that you have found. They do make a pretty point. Take care.

PF

OP
OP
Airborne80

Airborne80

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2005
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT Classic
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pynchinflint said:
Nice to see you back out hunting points Airborne. I wrote you a post back on Nov. 20, 08 entitled Hey Airborne80. Not sure if you saw it, but, I think I had a couple of points similar to the red/orange color that you have found. They do make a pretty point. Take care.

PF

hey brother..... yea...... I have been buried at work with lots of travel, so I must have missed your post. I will check it out ASAP. I apologize but do appreciate your thinking of me :D I agree.... they do make pretty points and now that its raining... I hope to find more :wink: This next weekend will have to be productive for me and Charlie as I will be in Maryland for a few days after that providing firearms training to our guys. That will keep me away from the hunt for a few days and I will miss it! Stay safe.

OP
OP
Airborne80

Airborne80

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2005
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT Classic
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
unitas said:
Nice point even with slight damage. Keep on hunting, good to see Charlie and you getting out.
Thanks brother. Man..... I was just sitting here at work missing that hairy carpet! >:( He and I both are at our best, when we are out in the field. Can't wait for Friday!!! That's my day off. Stay safe.

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi AB, nice triangle. I don't believe its a Madison or Levanna. Ab, remember me telling you our states are full of different types of triangles, that has you said are not in overstreet. Its best to just call it as you see it A Triangle~ Woodland to Mississippian period .
We arnt that far away from each other. I find the same types as you. IF I was going to put a name to it, I would call it a Yadkin. Yadkins can have a slightly straight or concave base. They are fairly thick. You say that triangle is fairly thick.
There is no doubt its a Woodland Triangle. A very nice find too, might I add.

Congrats you deserve it.

Molly.

Get-the-point

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
PA. NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Molly brings up a nice point, it could very well be a Yadkin, but as with most typology you will see the resemblance and flaking to others types. In my area that would be called a Levanna in your area a Yadkin. Both are woodland period points and I have seen both thick in the center and flared base. In different parts of the nation you will see the resemblance to other types. It brings a good point and one that I have been interested in for a while. Why does a point from a different area achieve a different name but they are both nearly identical. That I would assume comes from the first place of discovery and attributed to that place. Just a thought.............

OP
OP
Airborne80

Airborne80

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2005
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT Classic
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Molly said:
Hi AB, nice triangle. I don't believe its a Madison or Levanna. Ab, remember me telling you our states are full of different types of triangles, that has you said are not in overstreet. Its best to just call it as you see it A Triangle~ Woodland to Mississippian period .
We arnt that far away from each other. I find the same types as you. IF I was going to put a name to it, I would call it a Yadkin. Yadkins can have a slightly straight or concave base. They are fairly thick. You say that triangle is fairly thick.
There is no doubt its a Woodland Triangle. A very nice find too, might I add.

Congrats you deserve it.

Molly.

As always Molly, you are insightful and gracious in your comments. Thank you for that. I will now call it.... my rose quartz Yadkin! :D

OP
OP
Airborne80

Airborne80

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2005
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT Classic
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get-the-point said:
Molly brings up a nice point, it could very well be a Yadkin, but as with most typology you will see the resemblance and flaking to others types. In my area that would be called a Levanna in your area a Yadkin. Both are woodland period points and I have seen both thick in the center and flared base. In different parts of the nation you will see the resemblance to other types. It brings a good point and one that I have been interested in for a while. Why does a point from a different area achieve a different name but they are both nearly identical. That I would assume comes from the first place of discovery and attributed to that place. Just a thought.............

I also believe that the points get their names from the location of first discovery.... hence the Clovice. While I wish that this one was not broken, as Molly says, it is a great find nevertheless and it really motivates me to find more. That it is woodland in terms of age was the first thought that I had upon recovering it. One thing that amazes me is that the tip can still be so sharp and yet there is such a big break on the corner base. Grrrr.... frustrates me! :wink:

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
could be a good thing,hit its target right in the rib.thanks for showing jamey

Pinellas Man

Sep 15, 2008
North Florida
Nice point Airborne, Here in Florida we call them Pinellas Points, I should know. ;D Good luck this Friday, hope to see some pics from you and Charlie.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread