Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Too hot today to make plans for detecting, but got bored and hit the local "hunted out" park for a bit anyway, despite the heat. Got a Wheatie and a couple Jefferson nickels... enough to keep me interested for a while, but as I was working my way back to the car, got another copper penny signal that was deep enough to be worth spending the time on, so I dug it. Surprise!

NxtFnrE.jpg

Upvote 14

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a nice find and will look good in a display of oddities. I just can't hunt in 90* weather and dream of fall .
I still have my first BB gun made by daisy , may be a red rider. it is 55 years old and works like it was new.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
very cool find, a blast from the past

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Red Ryder was a cartoon cowboy in the Sunday papers when I was a kid, Daisy named their BB gun after him. I think there were Red Rider cap guns too, and I think the buckle here may have been from a belt and holster for one. Red had an Indian boy named Little Beaver as a sidekick.

Squirrel322

Silver Member
Jul 4, 2016
Central MI
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Equinox 800, Go-Find 66, ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool! What a great find!

OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Red Ryder was a cartoon cowboy in the Sunday papers when I was a kid, Daisy named their BB gun after him. I think there were Red Rider cap guns too, and I think the buckle here may have been from a belt and holster for one. Red had an Indian boy named Little Beaver as a sidekick.

1123671.jpg

Of course, we all remember the name from the movie, A Christmas Story:

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very cool find- Congrats!

OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very cool find- Congrats!
Thanks, Jeff. I was excited enough when I first realized that it was a cowboy design, but when I cleaned it more and saw the classic Red Ryder signature, it was over the top!

Inspector

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Finger Lakes Region, Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Nox 600, w/6", Simplex+WHP, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Toltec, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice dig & nice condition, that will display nice with your collection, congrats

OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice dig & nice condition, that will display nice with your collection, congrats
Thanks. It is actually bent, though. I tried verrrrry carefully to straighten it, but stopped when I saw a glint of fresh copper at the stress point. I do know that heating and quenching copper will anneal (soften) it but I don't know what that might do to the patina. I'd like to straighten it a bit so that it lies flatter in a display frame. Does anybody know if the heating process will definitely ruin the patina or not (the bend is on the crossbar and I can limit the heat pretty much to that spot)?

marion moore

Feb 23, 2015
Greenville, South Carolina
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You maybe able to heat it in an oven, use a hard plastic hammer on it. Tap lightly, more taps but lets damage. Thanks for posting sure brings back some good old times when I was a kid. I think I was a kid once, it be so long ago. Thanks again. Very nice save.

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a nice find and will look good in a display of oddities. I just can't hunt in 90* weather and dream of fall .
I still have my first BB gun made by daisy , may be a red rider. it is 55 years old and works like it was new.

They sure don't make stuff like they used to...Ddf.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
When I was a teen back in the 70’s, a neighbor kid shot me in the back with his father’s vintage RedRyder. Stung like h**l. I grabbed that gun, smashed it to smithereens, it had the real wood stock. His father whipped the tar outa him.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You maybe able to heat it in an oven, use a hard plastic hammer on it. Tap lightly, more taps but lets damage. Thanks for posting sure brings back some good old times when I was a kid. I think I was a kid once, it be so long ago. Thanks again. Very nice save.

One cannot heat brass or copper items in an oven to soften them for bending. Heating in an oven will only make the metal harder. To anneal (soften) cooper, brass, or silver the metal needs to be made red hot and then allowed to cool. One does NOT need to quench item in water or anything else. Annealing the buckle here will only ruin patina, it is better to leave it as found.

OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One cannot heat brass or copper items in an oven to soften them for bending. Heating in an oven will only make the metal harder. To anneal (soften) cooper, brass, or silver the metal needs to be made red hot and then allowed to cool. One does NOT need to quench item in water or anything else. Annealing the buckle here will only ruin patina, it is better to leave it as found.
Yeah, I knew about the heating red hot part. Wasn't going to try the oven. I thought it had to be cooled quickly, though, but that's something I learned in high school shop class when hammering a copper ash tray (do you suppose kids can still make ash trays in school today?)

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread