Red Tide Hunt on Cocoa Beach

Dirt Fishin Dale

Aug 23, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Excal 1000, Binford 5000 super hunter
Well being that the wind was blowing the red tide off shore, we decided to hunt the beach for a few hours on Sunday.
Just another day of clad (I found a little over 5$) and pull tabs. Dead fish everywhere. But you could breath.
Not many people out there. Guess they don’t like lying around dead sea creatures.

It looks as if the county pushed most of the dead fish in to the dunes and covered them with sand. Upon doing this they scraped up all the good finds and buried them with the fish. So if you want to dig in the dead fish pile you might find something good ;D.

Redtideings to you, and a merry Christmas.

HH
Dale

Attachments

• IMAGE_020.jpg
    IMAGE_020.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 397
  • IMAGE_019.jpg
    IMAGE_019.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 390
  • IMAGE_022.jpg
    IMAGE_022.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 335
Upvote 0

tac512ltd

Aug 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark; Aquavision 2007
Not a bad clad count. I bet if those fish that are in the pictures stay out long it might get harder to breath !

trashdude

Nov 21, 2007
Cocoa, Fl
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, XLT, QXT, Beach Hunter, Vibra-Tector 730
Was out there with Dirt Fishin' Dale. He did far better than I did (I think he touched my detector before we went out and it gave me bad luck). I concur about the dead fish though. They were all over the place (large reds, mullet, eels, etc). Smell wasn't too bad yet but it wasn't too far off either. Good thing this happened during the cooler weather vs. the hot summer. :P Just not many people out at the beaches yet-------just gotta have patience.

The-Bone

Nov 13, 2007
North East,Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Whites Silver Eagle, BHID,M6,CZ21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What exactly is red tride and what causes it?

trashdude

Nov 21, 2007
Cocoa, Fl
Detector(s) used
TBone,

Stefen's right. Algie bloom (aka, Red Tide) is some nasty stuff. Most people who encounter it, suffer from a running nose, burning throat, watering eyes, etc. I've found out you have to be in close proximity to it to suffer the effects, but once you leave the area (more inland), the effects go away almost immediately. Can't say the same for the marine life. Usually fatal for them.

DaChief

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
-------(Water)------- Garrett Infinium (Relic and Coin) Minelab Sov. Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My exposure to Red Tide was severe. The first weekend I had contact with it, I was exposed to it for about 8 hours that I stayed in the surf. I could smell it with no problem but didn't realize what it was. I was on my way home in my car when the full effect hit me. I felt like I was going to cough up my lungs. It did clear up in about 2 days. Clearly wasn't a cold. Never had anything like that before or since. Nasty stuff if you stay in it too long.

S

stefen

Another note, a lot of sea food, especially shellfish, are banned due to toxins that can be deadly.

So if your feeling frisky and don't beleive the warnings, slurp up a oyster on the half shell, then grab your ankles and kiss your A$$ goodby.

OP
OP
Dirt Fishin Dale

Dirt Fishin Dale

Aug 23, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Excal 1000, Binford 5000 super hunter
Yep, if you notice in the photos, the birds won’t even eat those fish. But the crabs looked happy.

trashdude

Nov 21, 2007
Cocoa, Fl
Detector(s) used
Dirt Fishin Dale. I was looking forward to that fish dinner you promised me tonight. I think you mentioned something about redfish smothered in jellyfish gravy. ;D ;D ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread