Reference Books?

mdog

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2011
Swartzie,

I've never posted in the Fur Trade Artifacts section before but I have a question about colonial trade items and I didn't know what thread to post on so I hope it's OK with you that I ask my question here.

I'm trying to figure out who was trading with a local native American tribe back in the late 1700s. I live by the Mississippi River and there have been French, Spanish, British and some American traders in this area during that period. Back in the mid 1800s settlers in this area wrote of a large area of indian grave mounds along the banks of the river that were slowly eroding into the river over a period of a couple of decades. As the graves eroded people were finding a lot of silver trinkets along with some gold trinkets and and now and than a long rifle or pistol. I was surprised by the gold trinkets as I have never heard of traders trading away gold. What nation in colonial times traded gold trinkets to the indians?

Thanks for your help.

Rick

OP
OP
Swartzie

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
mdog said:
Swartzie,

I've never posted in the Fur Trade Artifacts section before but I have a question about colonial trade items and I didn't know what thread to post on so I hope it's OK with you that I ask my question here.

I'm trying to figure out who was trading with a local native American tribe back in the late 1700s. I live by the Mississippi River and there have been French, Spanish, British and some American traders in this area during that period. Back in the mid 1800s settlers in this area wrote of a large area of indian grave mounds along the banks of the river that were slowly eroding into the river over a period of a couple of decades. As the graves eroded people were finding a lot of silver trinkets along with some gold trinkets and and now and than a long rifle or pistol. I was surprised by the gold trinkets as I have never heard of traders trading away gold. What nation in colonial times traded gold trinkets to the indians?

Thanks for your help.

Rick

I'm only familiar with my local history, but if I had to guess I would say it may have been the British that were trading in the late 1700's. Maybe someone else can give you a more comprehensive answer. I'm pretty new to this so the gold trinkets are a new one to me also. Sounds like you could have a good site there where you are.

-Swartzie

mdog

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2011
Thanks for the reply Swartzie.

I live on the west side of the Mississippi and in the late 1700s the British traders were competing with the Spanish and the French traders from St. Louis. It could be the British if they traded gold trinkets. The only time I've read of gold trinkets being traded to the indians was by Spanish traders out in Colorado in the early 1700s and that account seems to be suspect. I have not pinpointed the site but you're right it does sound like a promising site. One of our local historians back in the mid 1800s collected many of the artifacts but I haven't found out yet if he donated them to a museum. It would be nice to see what he collected.

Thanks again.

Rick

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its kind of off subject but I know out here the Indians would trade gold to the "whites",pound for pound....Pound of coffee for a pound of gold.To the Indians the Yellow Rock was worthless

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread