Reference Points

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 70, AT Pro, Tesoro Tejon, ML X-terra 50
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
When you come across an account of something being buried about 4 miles north of town, are they talking about 4 miles from the center of town or 4 miles from the edge of town? This is from a mid 1800's account and when the town itself is a mile across it can make a big difference. Does anyone know if there was an accepted general way to refer to distances between landmarks in the 19th century?

beavis

Mar 11, 2007
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Real good question Canewrap. The old maps of my town refer to distance outside of town as "from P.O." Maybe that means post office? Post office has changed location through the years. I'm gonna watch your post for an answer.

K

Kentucky Kache

I've run into this problem before. I suggest measuring the miles from both the center, and the edge of town, and see if you can find some landmark somewhere between the two end points. For instance, if your story says the old miser lived near a bend in the river, check to see if there is a bend in the river anywhere within your 4 mile end points. You can't go too much by the old writings as far as exact distances.

jglunt

Feb 15, 2005
On the big Muskegon River in W. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Generally maps and highway department signage have referred to mileage distances between towns as from City Hall to City Hall...or township hall to township hall, etc. Not sure if it was that way back in the 1800's.

Jim

wesfrye53

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
Springfield, TN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202
I'm betting there is no clear cut answer.

When the utility I work for took over a smaller one we found that, unlike our references to valves, etc. with property lines and row points, that utility used fence posts, trees, big stones, whatever. And the utility had been started in the 20th century. Good luck on your quest for info. You may wish to see how the deeds are worded in the town's archives.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions