Refining Costs

azblackbird

Sep 27, 2011
Glendale, AZ
Detector(s) used
TDI Pro, GMT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Does anyone have a suggested link to refining companies, or are knowledgeable of refining costs? I'd like to determine the average cost to refine per troy ouce (commercial).

What exactly are you refining and what is the purity? Are you refining ore or placer? Are you pouring your own dores? What is the volume or tonnage? All those parameters (and probably more I can't think of right now) have a bearing on what your final refining costs will be.

Give these guys a call and discuss your options. This will get you started.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Try this for your research if you are talking about placer gold. https://www.google.com/webhp?source...&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=placer gold refiners You may be able to find a recycler/refiner close by.
All of the refiners will pay you a percentage based on current spot price, weight, etc. less a reasonable fee for processing. Gold scrap will probably have a lower fee since it is more pure and requires less refinement.
Good luck.

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
Why do you want to refine? I use to refine my gold fines and gold rings and such that I found metal detecting until I snapped out of it and realized that refining was nothing more than an added expense that was taking cash out of my pocket.

People who buy gold pay for the amount of 24k in the gold.

For example if you have an oz of 18k. An oz of 18k is 75% 24k or 3/4 oz of 24k so a buyer will pay me for 3/4 oz of 24k.

If I use my time and expense to refine one oz of 18k I will have 3/4 oz of 24k to sell.

In other words the cost of refining takes dollars out of your pocket.

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anyone have a suggested link to refining companies, or are knowledgeable of refining costs?

I'd like to determine the average cost to refine per troy ouce (commercial).

Thank you.

Just search for refiners in your area and then call them for prices. Not all refiners work the same and some will give you a lot less than deserved so do a thorough check on the one that you choose. If this is for continuous pounds of gold then a large company may give you a better price. But like chlsbrns said, why refine? It does cost you more money. When I sell gold I usually get on average 20% over spot on fines and flakes by selling the placer gold that I recovered myself. People pay more if they know where the gold they are buying comes from and who you are. Depending on what I sell I also give them a signed story about where and when I found this gold. Then if it pertains, I will also give them a link to the movie I may have made about when I found it.
https://www.google.com/#safe=off&q=gold+and+silver+refinery

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread