refining / optimizing my ryedale sorting

phrostie

Dec 3, 2008
Nap Town
hey all,

I've finally turned on the ryedale I've had for two weeks and boy does the sucker work! After watching her run, I had a few questions on how others optimize their sorting procedures.

First, I'm taking JRF's advice and only running them through once. I do not have a good setup where I can see them as they fall out so I'm going to spot check the zincs later and look for old coppers / wheats.

What do you use to contain the coins when they fall? What distance is it from the machine itself? Is there anything you use to dampen the bounce?

Pictures of your setup would be the most beneficial. Thanks for the help in advance! I gotta start knocking out some of these pennies as I have like 7 bags and8 boxes!!!

~phrostie.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
phrostie

phrostie

Dec 3, 2008
Nap Town
no takers on this? even a post such as "1 silver dime found" would have generated a response!

Where's the love? I got no takers on my last post either on recommendations for a digital scale. Back to ESPN Football countdown... C'MON MAN!!!!!!!

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
phrostie said:
no takers on this? even a post such as "1 silver dime found" would have generated a response!

Where's the love? I got no takers on my last post either on recommendations for a digital scale. Back to ESPN Football countdown... C'MON MAN!!!!!!!

Haha..Sorry bro, I dont have one yet, thou Im starting to check them out.. Hows the accuracy?

blkcwbyhat

Dec 3, 2010
I bought the coinalyzer instead.It's not nearly as fast,but its a lot cheaper and seems deadly accurate! I made the case to fit over almost any size pan or buckets,but right now I use a couple tupperware bowls.

coolpix9

Bronze Member
Jan 17, 2007
Primary Interest:
Other
Ear plugs are nice. The noise is kinda contagious. It sounds like money so I got used to loving it. When I donated my Ryedale,I have missed it ever since. Jim

OP
OP
phrostie

phrostie

Dec 3, 2008
Nap Town
the son of a gun is quicker than crap! I'm looking for some ideas because if it's copper it drops straight down and if it's zinc it flicks it to the right. But when it flicks to the right it has some variance with how far it flicks.

What I need to know is an optimal distance between your catcher of coins and the system and what you use to catch the coins. I'm thinking of designing a PVC or buying an OTS Wire Basket and using a bag / pillowcase to catch the coins.

Thoughts / opinions?

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As I understand it, the Ryedale was designed to remove the copper cents and put the rest in the "reject pile".

I have seen people mention that they then hand sort through the zincolns to find the older wheats.

Based on my limited knowledge of how the machine operates, I would think it would be better to use a zincoln as the master and call the rest (the copper and others) the "rejects" and sort through the "reject" pile to pick out the wheats (including old wheats), canadians, and all other oddballs since you are doing that already.

It would mean run the coins once and hand search the small pile. Instead of run the coins once and hand search both piles.

Again, I don't own one, so maybe my thoughts are way off. It would also depend on if you want to bother picking out the wheats or just copper I suppose too.

might be worth a test to see if it works that way at least.

Just my two cents...

blkcwbyhat

Dec 3, 2010
I also assume your using the big buck ryedale,as the sniper is a dolled up coinalyzer.I cut a piece of wood with a 45 on each side,tacked to another piece of wood that lines up in the center of the coin slots.It's a little rude and crude so far,but once I get the design perfected,watch out Ryedale!!!!!!

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
phrostie said:
hey all,

I've finally turned on the ryedale
What do you use to contain the coins when they fall? ~phrostie.

Just saw this.

I use two penny boxes to catch what I put in the machine. They are tucked right up against the chutes, so there is no real bounce to worry about. What i did was notch the boxes so they fit under the piece that separates the two chutes, and the two penny boxes sit right up agaisnt the machine. Makes it real easy ot keep an eye on the reject side. :-)

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
phrostie said:
What do you use to contain the coins when they fall? What distance is it from the machine itself? Is there anything you use to dampen the bounce?
On this forum you have to ask that question?

When I had my ryedale I used two half dollar boxes next to each other one had a 4" tall corrugated wall hot glued to it. when the zincer got full I was pretty god at slipping it out and replacing it with an empty without too many cents going everywhere.

I had a sturdy box to put the ryedale on and the boxes fit nicelt in the right spot. A thin piece of foam, cut to fit, worked to cut some sound in an empty box.

kalebdad

Sep 24, 2010
Here is my Set up. I break it down and put it in the box that holds it up.

Attachments

• image (4).JPG
    image (4).JPG
    51 KB · Views: 228
  • image (6).JPG
    image (6).JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 213

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions