Regarding the $4k to $5k 1 carat diamond ring...maybe you all better sit down

Charles (Upstate NY)

Jun 5, 2006
USA
Detector(s) used
ML Explorer
I just turned the ring into to the local police department. When I found out what the ring was worth this morning my first thought was that I should try to find the owner. This is not a $50 gold ring or even a $200 gold ring, we are talking $4,000 to $5,000 and unless this coin/jewelry dealer is the only honest one I have ever met odds are it may be worth a good deal more than that.

Second this ring was obviously important in terms of sentimental value. A friend of mine commented that it appeared to be an older style ring. It could have belonged to my mother, what if it belonged to yours? Keeping it was out of the question as it didn't survive the mom test.

I tell you it caused quite a stir at the station and the two officers on duty were awestruck when I opened the case and that diamond spewed fire in all directions under the lights. I was busy documenting the find for them when the lieutenant came out and he and I had a very good discussion.

The lieutenant was genuinely amazed that I would turn in such a find. He said, "people are out there detecting all the time and nobody ever turns anything in and I know they are finding good stuff". I mentioned that a find like this is quite rare, once in a lifetime for most people. Most days I told him our finds are rather average, a few coins, lots of trash, and if we are lucky a piece of gold or silver that is often worth well under $100. I told him straight that I don't turn those in, they pay for gas, parking, and equipment.

But a find like this, this ring is in a different class and many in our hobby will do the right thing and turn in a find like this. I tell you I made HUGE points with the lieutenant. He of course got all excited about getting into metal detecting and gave me his card and email address. Several times he was adamant that if the owner was found he was going to tell them that they need to pay me a reasonably sized finders fee. When I tried to wave that off he almost told me to be quiet, saying look you have to pay all this money for the equipment then spend your time finding the ring, you deserve a finders fee dam it so be quite I'm going to make sure you get one. lol It was great.

In general the point that I made mostly by my actions was that people have some misconceptions about the metal detecting community. Our hobby has lots of great people who often step forward and do the right thing returning lost items of value to their owners. I mentioned our track record of returning class rings to their owners. I tell you he was impressed. If I accomplished nothing else tonight I won new respect for those in our hobby and a truck load of good will. And probably three new members, I know treasure feaver when I see it, the officers had it bad!

Now to the legal part. They hold the item for 30 days and try to find the owner. They have a log of lost items and the owner may have already reported the item lost who knows. They will do what they can to find the owner and that is my wish. If at the end of 30 days nobody claims the item then it will be returned to me. The lieutenant told me this directly and I believed him. He assigned the whole thing an incident number and I got the feeling they took it all very seriously. Of course when I told him the ring had been roughly assessed at a value of $4,000 to $5,000 that helped. Jaws were gaping. They asked me all kinds of questions about what to ask to ensure a person claiming the ring was the rightful owner. I provided some. I will follow up with an email detailing exactly where it was found and what the owner should be able to tell them about the location itself and identifying marks on the ring the owner should know.

So in 30 days if nobody claims the ring, I will be the new owner and I will be happy to own it under those terms. If I kept my mouth shut and just kept the ring I'd never feel quite right about it. That whole mom test thing would have worn on me.

By the way the lieutenant was anxious to get my contact information and line up people who would pay to hire me to help them find some rather expensive lost items. He mentioned a $10k ring someone lost recently. I smiled and told him I had a day job but that I'm willing to volunteer as time allows. I kept a very low key in terms of rewards, finders fees, or whatever. I left them with a we volunteer to help our neighbors impression.

So there you have it. I'm sure some of you may be thinking Charles what are you nuts? Hey you know what, I guarantee you I just banked a serious amount of karma, probably enough to find a chain cent or half disme or something. ;D ;D

Charles

Upvote 0

garrettman64

Nov 8, 2006
mass
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 pro & Whites Classic SL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Job Brian Please keep us posted were all most interested I am sure of it,
However maybe it wont be claimed butbeing worth that kind of $$$$$$$$ lookat what you may have O Gosh and if the wife finds out if you have one ??? ??? ::)
O Boy Remember the Old saying when a man gets married whats her's is your and whats her's is hers :( I hope the very best for you :D
from Garrettman64 :D

OP
OP
Charles (Upstate NY)

Charles (Upstate NY)

Jun 5, 2006
USA
Detector(s) used
ML Explorer
Excellent Charles.....you did do the right thing and I'm sorry I tried playing detective......nice job!

Greg you did more than play detective so you don't get out of the dog house quite that easily. Lets review what you said,

BUT......I am very sorry, I haven't believed even a bit about this post since the beginning.......for tons of reasons........not for a minute

Unfortunately this is the second time you have called me a liar on this forum. And this is the second time you have ended up with egg on your face.

I think you owe everyone on this forum an apology. When you finish doing that go think seriously about why you do what you do and make a change in your life, you will be a happier person.

Charles

OP
OP
Charles (Upstate NY)

Charles (Upstate NY)

Jun 5, 2006
USA
Detector(s) used
ML Explorer
Update:

I got an email from the lieutenant this morning, here's a copy, note my full name is Raymond Charles Keith

Hi Raymond,

Got your email and wanted to say thanks for the info....We currently have a person who lost a diamond ring on the beach on July 8th. I spoke with her this morning and it is definately not the same ring....I will keep you posted.

Thanks,

Dan

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
1235CE said:
OK, this will get me banned or yelled at or whatever but,............ I love this forum, mostly as a viewer lately, but love this forum and am always happy about everyone's finds as you all have been happy about mine..........BUT......I am very sorry, I haven't believed even a bit about this post since the beginning.......for tons of reasons........not for a minute......and Jeff from PA, you once PM'ed me and said not to doubt anything that I can't prove but other than the really over-scripted story, can someone (preferably Charles) please tell me how you went to the jewelry store this morning to get your appraisal and then you posted to tell us the "good news" at 7:55 am.......what time do the jewelry stores open in your neighborhood?

Greg

Greg I think you have the right to believe or not believe anything you want! ;) But maybe expressing it without any real evidence may be the problem. I don't blame Charles for being upset...but you can choose to believe or not believe...I have had some experienced hunters tell me of lies and fraud on some forums. Lets face it....I would not believe everything...but I try to believe most! Some get carried away with their nonsense but that is fine. But>>>>these are forums which mean you should have the right to express your opinion....by the way...I believe Charles. :) The only thing that is different is the custody chain and what happens to the property. Our department does not make out a case report to give lost/found property back to people. But I have read some cities do, so lets give Charles the benefit of the doubt and hope he gets to keep the ring. ;)

ac385

Jul 26, 2005
Ga
Way to go! You are a winner no matter how it turns out. I was in a situation like that once with a banking book that I found while working at a movie theatre while I was in school. My first instinct was to turn it in but who can resist a peek just to see what this guy has before I turn it in. Right? Well nothing compares to the feeling of opening up a bank book to find ledgers on three different accounts totaling 6 to 7 million dollars, a bank card for each account, PIN numbers written on the back of all three cards, photo IDs and passport. For half a second your mind composes scenarios of how easy it could be…….and then how easy it would be to land in jail. Hehehehehe. I immediately turned it into my manager and I sat in the office while he called the guys cell phone that was listed on a business card. The guy shows up a little later and never even said thanks, he just acted like we were inconveniencing him. I can’t remember the movie but I remember the quote. “If I were that rich I could afford some manners” Maybe Aladan?

V3 SNIPER

May 2, 2007
toronto
Detector(s) used
Minelab explorer 2 pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
You can kiss that ring gooooooodbye, but at least you will make someone very happy but not the real owner... ;D but hats of to ya you did the right thing.

Dirt Fishin Dale

Aug 23, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Excal 1000, Binford 5000 super hunter
If I ever have a ring of that value, I hope you find it.
BUT!!! I hope that one comes back to you.

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
Re: Regarding the $4k to $5k 1 carat diamond ring...maybe you all better sit dow

XLT Sniper. I don't understand your post. Do you know something the police are not telling anyone??? Are you saying someone will just come in and claim the ring without knowing any information about it. Like what size it is. Where it was lost. etc.

Where are you getting your information to make the statements about the fate of the ring? It doesn't fit with other information on the thread?

Daryl

OP
OP
Charles (Upstate NY)

Charles (Upstate NY)

Jun 5, 2006
USA
Detector(s) used
ML Explorer
Re: Regarding the $4k to $5k 1 carat diamond ring...maybe you all better sit dow

BioProfessor said:
XLT Sniper. I don't understand your post. Do you know something the police are not telling anyone??? Are you saying someone will just come in and claim the ring without knowing any information about it. Like what size it is. Where it was lost. etc.

Where are you getting your information to make the statements about the fate of the ring? It doesn't fit with other information on the thread?

Daryl

Daryl some peoples mission in life is to rain on parades, I feel sorry for them.

Kut2TheChase

Jun 27, 2007
NJ
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000 NATO - Explorer SE
Here's another thought.
Usually people have insurance on something of that value and don't want it found!
I wouldnt be surpised at all if noone claims the ring, but I also wouldnt be surprised if your told they did and now you will never know because they can't give out the persons name and number for security reasons and the ring is pocketed by some unscrupulous clerk in the station.
I recently found a beautiful gold heart pendant with about 9 large rubies at a bed and breakfast. I will tell you I saw it hanging on the towel peg by the hot tub and I never knew how fast my hand could snatch something up!
Well, I was suddenly sticken with an uneasy feeling and decided to ask if anyone had lost a peice of jewelry at the place.
Well they said yes, I asked them to describe it and they did so I handed it over.
AFter I had a kind of remorse because I have no way of knowing if "they" did the right thing, If they returned it or not, I will probably never know. So I thought next time I will ask if someone lost something and if they say yes, I will give them my phone number and tell them to contact me, that way I can return for sure and I will know leaving out of the "officals" hands.
That way, it's mine unless they call, describe and THEN we meet at the police station to exchange.

>always thinking

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story Charles.Don't listen to the naysayers,they are just full of envy disguised as jealousy (yes there is a difference) and wish they had the morals and character that you possess.I hope all goes well and good luck to ya.

strike it rich

Jun 19, 2007
Detector(s) used
Treasure baron with Goldtrax
first things first awesom find next Hand on heart i think you made the right choice way to go big respect

Stormtrooper154

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Charles (Upstate NY) said:
Update:

I got an email from the lieutenant this morning, here's a copy, note my full name is Raymond Charles Keith

Hi Raymond,

Got your email and wanted to say thanks for the info....We currently have a person who lost a diamond ring on the beach on July 8th. I spoke with her this morning and it is definately not the same ring....I will keep you posted.

Thanks,

Dan

am I the only one that caught this......Charles, Confirmed Treasure lost of the beach. Get your butt in gear and grab the batteries!!! LOL ;D ;D ::) ::) ;D ;D

captain Jack

Sep 26, 2006
Richmond, Va
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
great story indeed! And you forgot, if someone in the future calls the cops on you, HA! good luck, you have a stack of get out of jail free cards...to a point. Always nice to see someone do the honorable thing. I have to be honest, the first thing I thought was that the cops would keep it. I don't have anything at all against cops, just people in general. But since so many people saw it, it's probably going to have to go through the proper steps.
A job well done, in a way I hope you get it back.

imagine MDing WITH an officer when someone gave you a hard time....sorry, but in the word of Jim Carrey in the cable guy.."there's no end to the possibilities!!"

Jeff

p.s. I like the way you think stormtrooper!

OP
OP
Charles (Upstate NY)

Charles (Upstate NY)

Jun 5, 2006
USA
Detector(s) used
ML Explorer
Stormtrooper154 said:
Charles (Upstate NY) said:
Update:

Hi Raymond,

Thanks,

Dan

am I the only one that caught this......Charles, Confirmed Treasure lost of the beach. Get your butt in gear and grab the batteries!!! LOL ;D ;D ::) ::) ;D ;D

Storm, Joel says take that sissy coil off your Explorer, hop a plane east and come git some! :D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions