Relic and Coin cleaner

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just put a couple of buttons that I dug recently in olive oil to try and read the makers mark but got thinking about Liquid Wrench. Wonder if anyone here had tried it. Super at penetrating rust etc to loosen bolts etc. May pick up some at hardware store and try it on some of these since I have several I dug from the same coat. Probably no real value to them compared to CW stuff but hate to ruin them.???

Moonrover

Jul 17, 2012
Cambridge, MA
Primary Interest:
Other
Have you considered WD-40? It is actually a refined fish oil and harmless. Somewhere I have a listing of all it's uses. Surprising the things people use it for.

Sent from my iPad using TreasureNet app

Last edited:
OP
OP
TNGUNS

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not a bad idea....I have even seen it sprayed on artificial baits as a fish attractant by some hardcore fisherman. Some of the threads have shown some great results with olive oil but who knows. :laughing7:

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Olive oil is neutral, whatever coin you put in will look the same even years later. And then after it dries you still have an
ugly coin.

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The best way I have found to clean buttons is to rub them with your fingers. Don't put water or anything liquid on them at all. By rubbing them you get the dirt off the button but the makers letters (if they are recessed) still have the dirt in them which will give you contrast. If you put water on the button then you just washed away any chance of getting contrast on the letters. Some buttons are just plain toasted and you won't be able to make anything out of them.

Here's a nice post on cleaning buttons from Buckle Boy:http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/cleaning-preservation/89045-how-clean-buttons.html

-Swartzie

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Dug copper/brass: Room temp peroxide rinse with light finger rubbing followed by boiling peroxide (for badly crusted coins). Soak in distilled water before patting dry prior to storage.

For silver and non-dug copper: Hardware store acetone and a Q-tip (light rolling only). Soak in distilled water before patting dry prior to storage.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread