Relic day. Im beginning to appreciate you guys even more.

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Relic day. I'm beginning to appreciate you guys even more.

You guys that go out and brave the elements, knowing that you more than likely won't find any coins/rings/etc. But, rather go looking for real history. When you're out there and finding bits and pieces of lumps of dirt and metal. You feel like you're not finding anything but garbage metals. It's when you get them home and clean 'em up a bit, that you begin to see.

This was just supposed to be another "battery fund" day at another local school. But, I got too hot out in the sun. There happened to be a little stream running the length of the perimeter and it was in the shade. Sooooo, I followed it along.

2014 (627).jpg
2014 (628).jpg
2014 (629).jpg
2014 (630).jpg
2014 (631).jpg
2014 (632).jpg

Looks like a scroll "A" inscribed there.

2014 (633).jpg
hbh_spoon.jpg

Kinda neat.

2014 (634).jpg

Here's one of those little lumps of metal.
Looks like nothing in the field, or even at home, at first.

2014 (635).jpg

Until, you look at it in just the right way!
Kind of awesome that such a delicate/ornate piece survived like this one did.

2014 (636).jpg

Even an old pocket watch, (not still ticking. ;) )

2014 (637).jpg

Well. That's my two cents worth.

Kudos to all you relic hunters!

Upvote 11

OWK

Apr 26, 2014
North Central Md
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, F75
Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice.

Particularly like the buckle, and what I presume is a child's heel plate?

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice.

Particularly like the buckle, and what I presume is a child's heel plate?

WUPS!!! I forgot the biggest piece!

2014 (638).jpg

Hard to get a good pic but it says:

A W McDONALD FREELAND N C R R

(North Central Rail Road)

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Those little ornate mystery pieces always make me appreciate finding them, but at the same time can be very irritating when trying to figure them out. That's a pretty neat old spoon and your research on it is interesting!

OWK

Apr 26, 2014
North Central Md
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, F75
Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WUPS!!! I forgot the biggest piece!

View attachment 1034046

Hard to get a good pic but it says:

That's is amazingly cool.

I guess that's Freeland Md. (And That's A.W. McDonald's Conductor's Tag for NCRR Freeland Station).

The very first piece I found with my new detector was just a stone's throw from the Northern Central Tracks.

It was a Missouri Kansas and Texas Railway brass baggage tag.

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
some of the coolest stuff is the stuff that is just pure ole history (somebody else's past), stuff that is obviously not made anymore and gives you reason to reflect on its origins. then there is the curiosity aspect of what exactly is it that I have just found? to some it is just junk, to others it is rich history, American history for the most part.

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's is amazingly cool.

I guess that's Freeland Md. (And That's A.W. McDonald's Conductor's Tag for NCRR Freeland Station).

The very first piece I found with my new detector was just a stone's throw from the Northern Central Tracks.

It was a Missouri Kansas and Texas Railway brass baggage tag.

Yeah, ain't it!?! :)

And, it looked like just one more piece of scrap metal in the field. LOL

I have found a lot of stuff that pertain to NCRR and they were no where near the tracks! Miles away! LOL

Thanks!

OWK

Apr 26, 2014
North Central Md
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, F75
Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now I can tell you for sure, that I wouldn't be able to rest until I knew who A. W. McDonald was.

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now I can tell you for sure, that I wouldn't be able to rest until I knew who A. W. McDonald was.

I know and that's part of what makes me a different sort of hunter. I'd love to know, but, I probably won't do much more than see what turns up easily. :dontknow: I completely understand why that is a driving force to some but, I'm mostly just a little ole coinshooter. I'll research to find them and research to identify them. But, relics? In all honesty, they are the neatest finds, just not my driving force. Just call me shallow. LOL

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looks like you stumbled upon a nice site, sort out the rubbish and the goods may be waiting!,

excellent saves!

OWK

Apr 26, 2014
North Central Md
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, F75
Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know and that's part of what makes me a different sort of hunter. I'd love to know, but, I probably won't do much more than see what turns up easily. :dontknow: I completely understand why that is a driving force to some but, I'm mostly just a little ole coinshooter. I'll research to find them and research to identify them. But, relics? In all honesty, they are the neatest finds, just not my driving force. Just call me shallow. LOL

Now I'm Just the opposite.

I found my Baggage Tag on the bulldozed home site of a guy named V T Shipley in roughly Mays-Chapel / Cockeysville. The site was bulldozed to build I-83. I knew before I hit the site that the house wasn't there in 1850, but was by 1877. I knew that Shipley was an officer of the Towson National Bank, and that he owned the lime kilns next to the NCRR.

But it wasn't until after I found the Missouri Kansas and Texas Railway baggage tag in the ruins of his house, that I found a newspaper article saying that Shipley traveled to Texas in the 1890's to purchase machinery. I'm kind of wacky about the research side. And now that I'm actually writing this down I think maybe TOO wacky... :laughing7:

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It looks Like Blingie Might Like the Rust crusty stuff Like Red Does!!!! I Know she is Being Patient And Hunting the Sand On the Rivers, But is Biting the Bit To Dig Into the Dirt for Relics Soon!!!! Chug

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now I'm Just the opposite.

I found my Baggage Tag on the bulldozed home site of a guy named V T Shipley in roughly Mays-Chapel / Cockeysville. The site was bulldozed to build I-83. I knew before I hit the site that the house wasn't there in 1850, but was by 1877. I knew that Shipley was an officer of the Towson National Bank, and that he owned the lime kilns next to the NCRR.

But it wasn't until after I found the Missouri Kansas and Texas Railway baggage tag in the ruins of his house, that I found a newspaper article saying that Shipley traveled to Texas in the 1890's to purchase machinery. I'm kind of wacky about the research side. And now that I'm actually writing this down I think maybe TOO wacky... :laughing7:

Just being honest with myself. I may WANT to be considered a good relics hunter/researcher. But, it's truly just not there. :dontknow:

I WILL however, research the bejeebus out of a find sometimes if I think it might lead me to some nice old coins somewhere. LOL

Tell me, after you find chapter and verse on some piece of history you've found. And, you now know not only who but where and what and the size shoe he wore and the brand of tobacco and whether he bit or cut his toenails.....what have you? ;) LOL

Last edited:
OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks Like Blingie Might Like the Rust crusty stuff Like Red Does!!!! I Know she is Being Patient And Hunting the Sand On the Rivers, But is Biting the Bit To Dig Into the Dirt for Relics Soon!!!! Chug

I dunno, Blingie seems a bit more shallow than that, I think he just settles for the closest thing to bling that I bring home. LOL

OWK

Apr 26, 2014
North Central Md
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, F75
Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tell me, after you find chapter and verse on some piece of history you've found. And, you now know not only who but where and what and the size shoe he wore and the brand of tobacco and whether he bit or cut hist toenails.....what have you? ;) LOL

Satisfaction !!! Hahahah...

(I'm not saying I don't have a problem... but the same compulsion that helps me find the details of a site, helps me find the site itself).

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cool relics.... The shotgun headstamp "Winchester No. 12 NEW RIVAL" was produced between 1897 thru 1929.

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool relics.... The shotgun headstamp "Winchester No. 12 NEW RIVAL" was produced between 1897 thru 1929.

Thanks! That helps in knowing the era of the area. What about a headstamp that actually says Luger 9mm? ;) Interesting marking.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread