Relic hunt day three, Still goodies to be found

JimK

Aug 19, 2009
Central Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well Saturday did not turn out to be as warm as we thought it was going to be but it did manage to get to the high 30s. And though the fields where a little muddy we went ahead and hunted our Civil War camp again for a few hours. We did good and found some interesting things. I don’t know what all of them are but they are interesting none the less. Besides…that’s what I have you folks for! I did OK and found three 3 ringers and two pistol bullets (on one of the 3 ringers, the rings look angled, not flat like the others?). I found a brass eyelet screw (at the same depth as the bullets), I believe it is period but have no idea what it was used for. I also found a wire thing. And it is bent in such a way that it made me think that it went to something but have no idea what. And the back of a two piece button, this one says Waterbury Button Co. and has a star. The front may have been there but crumbled away if it was. I also found pounds of wire, horseshoe halves, some camp led and square nails.
And as usual my wife out did me. Her first find was a complete J-hook. Her second find was a 1948 silver dime (her first silver). She found two 3 ringers and a small pistol bullet that is different from all the others that we have found (help please). She found what I believe to be a barrel band and a small thing that I thought may have been a cotter pin but it would have been heavier than any cotter pin I have ever seen. Any ideas on this? She also found the two complete horse shoes, a ton of wire and farm junk. All in all a good day. Thanks for looking and any and all information that you can give.

JimK

Attachments

• IMAG1303.jpg
    IMAG1303.jpg
    392.1 KB · Views: 121
  • IMAG1306.jpg
    IMAG1306.jpg
    318.5 KB · Views: 119
  • IMAG1308.jpg
    IMAG1308.jpg
    398.1 KB · Views: 110
  • IMAG1317.jpg
    IMAG1317.jpg
    355.1 KB · Views: 123
  • IMAG1309.jpg
    IMAG1309.jpg
    491.9 KB · Views: 114
  • IMAG1305.jpg
    IMAG1305.jpg
    441.8 KB · Views: 114
  • IMAG1312.jpg
    IMAG1312.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 95
  • IMAG1310.jpg
    IMAG1310.jpg
    488.8 KB · Views: 92
  • IMAG1322.jpg
    IMAG1322.jpg
    355.6 KB · Views: 98
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    357 KB · Views: 90
  • IMAG1295.jpg
    IMAG1295.jpg
    988 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
Upvote 9

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well, for what my humble opinion is worth: Your cotter pin is just that, and I have seen much larger ones on farm equipment. Your slanted ring 3-ringer is one of a great many variants. Lots of people made them, and some were slightly different. Can't help with that brass eyelet. But I like your barrel band. Since it was held on by "pinching" it together at the bottom with a screw, it wasn't off of a standard issue Springfield which was held on by a spring-keeper. The imported Tower Enfields were one example of rifles that had this kind of band. Nice hunt!

OP
OP
JimK

JimK

Aug 19, 2009
Central Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, for what my humble opinion is worth: Your cotter pin is just that, and I have seen much larger ones on farm equipment. Your slanted ring 3-ringer is one of a great many variants. Lots of people made them, and some were slightly different. Can't help with that brass eyelet. But I like your barrel band. Since it was held on by "pinching" it together at the bottom with a screw, it wasn't off of a standard issue Springfield which was held on by a spring-keeper. The imported Tower Enfields were one example of rifles that had this kind of band. Nice hunt!

Thank You so much for the replay and information. I guess that clears up the cotter pin for sure. I hope someone knows about the eyelet and the pistol bullet. Thanks again

JimK

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Assortment of finds.
Sounds like the relic hunting in my area [ but no j hooks , have not dug a complete one in years].

Just my opinion but the pistol bullet pictured beside the Dime is "likely'' from after the Civil War 'A cast 38 or the alike'.
If it is CW period , I have a-lot of old bullets to go through. lol.

Good job
Davers

OP
OP
JimK

JimK

Aug 19, 2009
Central Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Davers.
I was afraid that the bullet was not period but don't know enough about this stuff yet to be sure. I saw a book on Amazon on bullets of the Civil War that I am thinking of ordering today. Thanks again for the info.

JimK

Last edited:

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Finds man! That place looks like it is going to produce well. Was all that with an ATP?

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice day of finds, thank you for sharing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions