Relics for Beginners

Dan Hughes

Aug 26, 2008
Champaign, IL
Detector(s) used
Several
Relic hunters are a different breed.

Unlike coinshooters and beach hunters, they are seeking history rather than money. True, many relics - especially Civil War items - are worth big bucks, but many relic hunters are more interested in finding clues as to what happened where and when.

And they hunt in more isolated places than those of us who frequent the parks and schoolyards. They even face dangers that we coinshooters cannot imagine.

In this podcast (radio show you can listen to on your computer any time), I offer some tips - and some warnings - to the beginning relic hunter.

Listen at http://thetreasurecorner.com. Click the pink button to hear the short (under five minutes) show.

Upvote 0

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't see how you can be one without the other (for most).... meaning I find coins and relics just about every old place I dig. I like both equal, and after 10 years of digging I wouldn't be able to choose between my coin or relic collection.

Some of my favorite finds are been fairly valuable, and some not... but to me money still counts! I always like to know what something is worth, just my nature I guess.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just listened to the show, and you offered some good advice but hunting with the largest coil you have or can find, is not really a good idea in most spots because iron will mask the target, and you can lose sens. to small finds. You're better off with a standard size coil, something that will get decent depth but still see around iron fairly well. The other thing is digging all targets is fine if you are on a field which has little to nothing to find, but allmetal mode on most sites just wastes time. I hear people over and over again saying hunt relics in allmetal, but I don't know anyone that does and I know many guys serious about finding relics.

There's really so many tips for relic hunting.... a few more

- The site is what counts most

- Forget about looking at your ID screen (If you have one)

- It's a numbers game, the more you dig, the more keepers you will find

- Find the location of the iron, where there's iron there's generally something worth finding

- If you hear or sense there is iron (my detector nulls) or see pottery & and glass, take that as a hint there could be something very close.

- Many targets aren't round so might not sound as good as coins

- Hit the patch of iron from different directions, gridding doesn't get it all as some believe.

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Liked Stated by Iron Patch, RESEARCH is Key to relic hunting.
I will also like to add to the list of tips, that alot of Great relics have actually been found in town or other areas that a coinshooter may be detecting, but again Research will divide the difference between everyday lost items and the History beneath your feet.
Learning to Clean & Identifying relics is also Very Important, (example) a Button Backmark can give alot of info to the age of your Site.
Using proper Cleaning methods will preserve your Relics and makes such a better display with the Story behind the Find.

Nova Treasure

OP
OP
Dan Hughes

Dan Hughes

Aug 26, 2008
Champaign, IL
Detector(s) used
Several
Iron Patch said:
I just listened to the show, and you offered some good advice but hunting with the largest coil you have or can find, is not really a good idea in most spots because iron will mask the target, and you can lose sens. to small finds. You're better off with a standard size coil, something that will get decent depth but still see around iron fairly well. The other thing is digging all targets is fine if you are on a field which has little to nothing to find, but allmetal mode on most sites just wastes time.

I should have been more clear - I was talking about military relic hunting in barren fields and woods, where the litterers haven't reached and every beep from your detector is important. That's when the big coil will outperform the normal coil.

I should also have mentioned this exception: in areas of heavy mineralization the big coils go nuts, so you should use the normal coil.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread