Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Got out late yesterday to a school in Baltimore Co. and this morning to a school in the city. Both hunts produced relics and some pieces appear to have been burned.

The county school is next to a farmhouse so I was hopeful of digging evidence of farm activity there.
First old target is the largest brass buckle I've ever dug; it measures 2 and 1/4 inch by 4 inches.
IMG_6343.JPG
The intact cast brass strap hinge was recovered next and had to be over a foot deep. It is stamped with the number 3433.
IMG_6345.JPG
Later I returned to the spot and got a piece to an identical hinge, which happens to be stamped with the same four numbers.

On the Baltimore City high school dig today I came upon an area that produced deep relics. The soil is "old", not fill, but all the targets were down about a foot, with the exception of the penknife, the three wheats and the brass tag.
IMG_6344.JPG
Deepest target (about 15 inches) was the copper bowl mounted to a copper base; this piece used to have a hinged lid. It is a mystery piece to me.
IMG_6353.JPG IMG_6354.JPG
My favorite piece is the corner of a silver filigree lid; this shows evidence of being in a fire.
IMG_6346.JPG
A round, dome-shaped piece may be a bridle rosette, but I'm not certain.
IMG_6347.JPG IMG_6349.JPG
Among the deeper items dug were a utensil handle, all-metal shotgun shell casing, carved lead piece, and a 4-hole button; along with all these deep items came lots of large rusted iron.
IMG_6350.JPG IMG_6356.JPG
I did get clad along the way and three wheats: 1928, 1936, 1944.
Also dug a holed, numbered brass tag.
IMG_6351.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 3

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like your finds are last quarter 19th century to first quarter 20th. The buckle is CW to early 20th century. Good stuff.

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks. Was hoping you'd chime in on these with possible time periods.

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
BOY SPRING FINDS ON TNET ARE BLOOMING

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thx sutphin. Just drove through Brunswick last Saturday with a load of firewood from my brother's place in Purcellville.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread