Relics From Johnstons battles against Sherman

CAP

Jun 6, 2003
Hometown USA
Detector(s) used
XLT, ATPro, Tesoro Silver S., White's TM 800, Makro MultiKruzer, XP Deus II, Nokta Pulse Dive
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Relics From Johnston's battles against Sherman

Hey Y'all,

I was fortunate enough to hunt a battle site from 1864 and even though I did not come away with any big finds, I really learned a great deal and had a great time.

Here's a few of the finds that I did make. One, the small disc with the two holes I'm going to need some help on. I guessed that it may have been part of a cannon's touch hole, maybe?

The cow bell, which is in perfect working condition, was dug under the root of a large tree about 20 yards in front of a Confederate rifle pit. I had fun speculating that it may have been used to warn of approaching Federal soldiers. The terrain is hardly suited to cattle grazing.

I'm in pretty good physical shape for a 40 year old but that relic hunt was pretty doggone tough. The terrain was difficult. I hadn't been as tired since boot camp in the army but I loved every minute of it! My wife seemed to fair better than me for some reason.

Upvote 0
J

Jim Mayo

The brass disc is a borman fuse underplug. It screwed in the fuse hole of the ball to support the lead borman fuse. They were made of iron also.

OP
OP
C

CAP

Jun 6, 2003
Hometown USA
Detector(s) used
XLT, ATPro, Tesoro Silver S., White's TM 800, Makro MultiKruzer, XP Deus II, Nokta Pulse Dive
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank You Jim!

Thanks for your reply. I wasn't sure if it was connected to the war or not.

divedigger

Mar 27, 2003
SouthEast NC
Detector(s) used
DMC-II,Cibola,Excaliber,Whites PI, AT Max

the lead thing is a borman fuse

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread