May 2, 2012
Dolly Sods, WV
Detector(s) used
Ace 250,
ATGOLD!!
xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I got a chance to hit a park I like today before the snow lays again and decided to go a little off from my normal coin spots I'd been trying to no avail (stupid 80's nickel and nothing else) and try to find some relics from where an old house that used to be just off to the side in a lightly wooded strip still in the parks boundaries. Walked around for a bit just getting an eye for the ground and noting various glass shards and wind blown litter (You can bet I'll be taking a big trash bag next time to get all the glass, plastic,and aluminum junk spread about in the leaves and bushes. I only had a small grocery bag this time, and usually that's all I need.) when I seen some glazed pottery shards with cracks in the glazing. I then cleared the leaves around looking for more pieces and found these barely covered with dirt and almost laying right on top of the ground!

wrench and lock1.JPG wrench and lock2.JPG
First time I'd found an older lock like this before. Really made my day. Almost tempted to try cleaning it with electrolysis but never tried that before. Hmm, might try soaking in Evaporust as suggested by BuckleBoy in another thread I just found on here.

I then started detecting around and found the rest of this in a pretty small area.

park relics.JPG

Nice pile of finds in my opinion. The finds I can identify are: A scythe that was a little bent in the center but I was able to straighten it a little better, A plow head, A hand turned drill bit, Internal parts to a meat grinder, and beside the plow but below the scythe blade might be some kind of tire iron maybe. I've got it propped up on a rusty nail (lol) to show the socket part in the center of it but at one end of it is has a wedged end like a standard screwdriver but although you can't really see the shape in this pic altogether it resembles the shaft of a hand powered drill except with that socket where you'd put your hand at to turn it.

I'll definitely be going back there again when the weather stays nice on the weekend, but hopefully I'll be able to try and research a bit more on what it was like before the house was dismantled and moved and the lot turned into a public park. Hehe, btw when I got home and showed the wife my new lock she sorely regretted not going. In her words," Only thing at that park is junk and pull tabs!" Definitely showed her.:laughing7:

Upvote 1

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never know what you'll find, your having fun doing it.
Can't beat it, Keep @ it and HH !!

OP
OP
W

White Akuma

May 2, 2012
Dolly Sods, WV
Detector(s) used
Ace 250,
ATGOLD!!
xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sound like you found yourself a couple keepers. The relics, and the wife. :)

Thanks! Gotta agree with you on the wife part too. Took a long time till I could get a decent signal on her too. Started getting that old pulltab signal off her around 9 years ago. Best part about having her as a hunting partner is the competition and still getting to keep all the finds, lol.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread