Relics from the backyard

viper771

Jul 17, 2006
Germany
Hey everyone! It has been awhile since I posted here. Well, I got around to tearing down the garage that is behind my old victorian house. Before the garage was there, it was a stable. Well, then it became a 1 car garage, then in 43, the wood garage was torn down, then a cement block garage put up. It went from a 1 car to 2 car garage... and over the years more and more cement was poured over each floor. I think there was 4 floors to take out in total, so this is some 18 inches of cement.

Anyway, after taking everything out, I figured I would poke around to see if I could find relics. The first thing I found popped out of the ground just as the backhoe pulled some dirt away. It was an intact plate! It says Ironstone China on the back along with Powell Bishop. I did some research and found it was from England, but not sure exactly what time period. I suspect from the late 1800s. I found many shards of broken bottles, 1 small intact bottle, and then the best little find so far. I was trying to move dirt around with a metal rake, and a belt buckle popped out! It is in great shape, and has K P., with a knight figure in the middle of the 2 letters. I think it is a Knights of Pythian belt buckle. I am not sure on the date since I haven't come across any others on the internet like it so far. The old masonic temple is just down the street, and I am quite sure the original builder/owner of my house was a mason. Anyway enjoy the pictures. Let me know if you guys can date the plate and belt buckle. HH!

** I resized the images and added a picture of the backyard... The right side of the picture shows the garage before we tore it down, and where I found some relics.

Attachments

• 100_1916new.jpg
    100_1916new.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 736
  • 100_1917new.jpg
    100_1917new.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 745
  • 100_1861new.jpg
    100_1861new.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 755
Upvote 0
OP
OP
viper771

viper771

Jul 17, 2006
Germany
Thanks! I will keep trying out there..should be SOMETHING else interesting to find, that is in one piece. It is getting kind of cold to be digging though burrrrrrrrrr

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread