relics Vs wheaties and silver "rosies"

C

coloradocav

relics Vs wheaties and silver "rosies"

I don't understand how extremely common wheat pennys and newer silver coins can get more hits and excitment than historic American artifacts? I have seen as well as posted some phenominal relics on this web forum, and there is hardly any interest by the general "treasure hunting crowd". I could post my first Nebraska Veteran volunteer Cavalry silver I.D. badge from an 1864 Indian wars battlesite and one minute later somebody else could post a silver rosie dime found in a "hunted out playground", the silver Roosevelt will get 50 times more oohs and awws than the badge! I'm sorry about the complaint but I just don't get it! There are some relics posted on this site by others that are fantastic bits of real history and worth far more than any coin the average person is going to find, let alone the history that goes with it. Anyways thanks for reading and I hope you all find your ultimate dream.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: relics Vs wheaties and silver "rosies"

coloradocav said:
I don't understand how extremely common wheat pennys and newer silver coins can get more hits and excitment than historic American artifacts? I have seen as well as posted some phenominal relics on this web forum, and there is hardly any interest by the general "treasure hunting crowd". I could post my first Nebraska Veteran volunteer Cavalry silver I.D. badge from an 1864 Indian wars battlesite and one minute later somebody else could post a silver rosie dime found in a "hunted out playground", the silver Roosevelt will get 50 times more oohs and awws than the badge! I'm sorry about the complaint but I just don't get it! There are some relics posted on this site by others that are fantastic bits of real history and worth far more than any coin the average person is going to find, let alone the history that goes with it. Anyways thanks for reading and I hope you all find your ultimate dream.

thats life :wink:

njnydigger

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
I've swung White's (MXT), Minelab (Safari) & currently run with an Omega 8000 by Teknetics & Fisher CZ-3D (1021 Model)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Just a few "theories" colorado.....

1. Just as different folks like different flavors of ice cream, so do detectorists enjoy different forms of hunting, ie; coin shooting, nugget shooting, jewelry, panning, dredging, etc., etc., etc. I would say that coin & jewelry hunting is probably THE area most folks play in. So naturally, they will be most interested in the finds having to do with their sector of the hobby. Also, since there are more C & J hunters or nugget shooters out there, the replies from these crowds will be more than the relic "guys".

2. Some folks just don't find relics interesting.

3. As with any post, the "better" the find, the more replies. You might find a superb civil war relic, but, if nobody knows what it is or if it is or don't know the history of the item, methinks the response would be lower.

4. I think that a lot of the folks on these boards are younger in age. Not all of course, but, a lot. There seems to be a disconnect or lack of interest with the younger crowd regarding anything to do with history. To them, a C.V. button can never compare with finding a diamond ring or a rare thousand dollar coin. Let's face it, not flashy enough.

5. Sometimes the person finding wheaties has to work harder (and needs more encouragement) than the hunter digging up truckloads of valuable relics. This too can equal more responses.

Again, these are just my opinions, so take it for what you will. Try to get involved in the board more. And try posting in some of the more niche areas geared more to the relic hunting crowd. I can't promise you more responses to your posts, but, I think you'll find others out there who enjoy hunting for relics (and reading about them) as much as you do :thumbsup:

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
Morehead City / Newport NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I have to agree with the other guy's.Bottom line is in my opinion is that for most people getting to a site that would have these older type relics would simply be too far out of the way.Also as said above everyone likes different things.Sorta like hunting animals some like deer, some like bear, some like waterfowl, some like turkey, some might like fishing!I think that it is more of something able to be found from all people that would get the responces.Just because they would be fimiliar with it.Me I sometimes see on here what you might be saying but that is why I think it happens.Also the people interested in the older relics might not be signed in when you post to see it and therefore it gets buried with other post.Personally I go for the old relics as you can see in my post under profile.But I am in a place that I can get to them although not easy still able.I also spend time on here researching and studying things from post on here and local sites I find on the internet.But I also know some people just don't understand the older stuff.As far as I'm concerned they might not be worth as much as a diamond ring or something money wise but to me It's not always about money and I can tell you now I'm not rich but this is the things I choose to go for (older the better).My interests are in things you can't buy in a store and that you don't see everyday - rare! Sorry I missed your post if you posted it if not well.Not much more to say that hasn't been suggested.
Timekiller! :thumbsup:
Ps. Now your getting replies! :laughing9: :laughing7: ;D :thumbsup: :hello:

ggossage

May 18, 2009
Eastern Nebraska

I'm 46 years old and grew up interested in coins, US coins specifically dug from the ground; I rarely buy coins; I prefer finding them. So I devote my time and interest in that category versus bottles, CW relics, nuggets, buying coin rolls, etc. So my interest and participation are geared one way on this site--I'm DRAWN to it. On the other hand I often do look at most of the "other" postings on this site because of some of the fascinating stories that go with them, and because often times there are coins mixed in with the relics--and I can learn; boy have I learned a ton as a junior member of this site. Before becoming a member of this site I had no interest in CW relics, nor did I care about finding or looking for non-US coins. But as time has gone by, I find myself piqued a little to hunt a field with Shaun, Crusader, SilverSearcher, etc looking for a gold coin or hunting somewhere that I could possibly dig a CW or Rev War button or belt plate. But as of now if I were headed out the door to hunt and I had a choice, I'd pick US coin hunting every time.

Coloradocav, I just don't have the same interest in the relics but I do appreciate that you do, and that your passion carries you outdoors to look for more. That's what I like about this site, there's a blend of all types of hunters here and even though <in your opinion> relics don't get the same attention, at least they get some. Like you, I've been a member of other detecting forums and I've been dismayed with responses to my posts as well as others' posts. I've even found some sites that were very "click-ish"--certain members get a lot of fanfare for their finds and others don't get much at all. I believe this site is unique because of its size. There will always be posters and lurkers--I'm in between--I work all day and I hunt whenever possible so I don't have a lot of time to respond to all the posts, just the ones I find exceptional or garner my interest. That includes certain relics like the GW buttons found recently--I think it's fantastic those buttons are being saved, but at the same time I don't really care if someone saved a piece of metal that now looks like shrapnel that once carried matches to light a cannon fuze.

I hope I'm not offending. In answer to your question, I'm simply telling you why I have little interest in relics--but I'm very glad you and others do!

riverdolphin

Jul 5, 2009

It's definitely heartbreaking when you have deep passion about something and you feel it doesn't get the attention it deserves. I understand! My thoughts are that most people on Treasurenet are MDers and alot of MDers find coins. They find their first one and get hooked and enjoy sharing their finds with other people who have experienced the same feeling as "my first wheatie", "my first silver", "now I need a seated dime", and so forth and they begin wishing for certain pieces and certain years and when someone finds the one they've been looking for - it's exciting! Also, there's alot more widespread knowledge and other resources for the coins. And there's the monitary value. Now there is another animal on Treasurenet, and it's the relic people. People who enjoy finding anything from the past and the more unique and off-beat the better. There is no collection list. The research is hard (at best). The knowledge usually comes with time and patience. The value on most of these relics (although some can be of great value) are, for the most part, historical pieces of the puzzle of time and life. There is a strong emotion of wondering who wore it, how'd they use it, where did it come from. A profound way to realize the way things were and where we came from and how far we have come. A relic hunter feels a personal connection to the person or people who lost, dropped, or left behind the treasures they unveil. A way to remember them and appreciate people who lived and died in hard times. Both animals (coins and relics) are of great importance and go hand in hand. Historical people worked hard for the money to buy the shoes with the fancy buckles and the coat with all the buttons and pockets that they put their coins in. I imagine that money meant more things for an easier life and we enjoy finding both. Really! If a relic hunter finds a gold coin, they are going to be stoked. Just as a coin hunter finding a CW Button is going to have a smile on their face also! It's about enjoying your hobby and sharing your interests with others. If only one person shares in your excitement, that's a priceless find that only a friend can give. HAPPY HUNTING! :hello2: :headbang: :hello: :icon_sunny: :thumbsup:

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus

I hear you Coloradocav. Personally, I'd trade a hunt of finding a bucket full of clad for a hunt of finding a single plane old flat button with a broken shank. But that's just me. Good responses by all. Crusader sums it up nicely though. I can throw in a couple more...... "Different strokes for different folks", "there's no account for taste", " you can lead a horse to water......." ;D

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Florida & San Salvador, El Salvador
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I know what you mean. I put on the beach section a post about a recent boat wreck that I found with pictures and video of the finds. It only received 5 or 6 comments, but one of the other posts about finding bobbie pins seems to have had 25 comments. There is one on pulltabs that has received around 60 comments.

I guess that some of us post comments because of our friends. Some may post because they find the subject funny or amusing. I guess I put too much information in my posts so that covers all the standard questions.

I also feel, and I don't want to offend anyone, but I think one or two that a'boys is fine in a post. I hate it when I have posted comments on several posts and a few days later in my email I have 20 emails notifying me that there are new comments on all the ones that I commented on. I open each in which directs me to the forum only to find 20 of the same comments by the same person all saying "nice finds" or :thumbsup: and nothing else. I believe it's fine to give a thumbs up on a few but don't go down the forum list just posting the same comment over and over, add some variety. .... Sorry i just had to let that one out because it's been bothering me for awhile.

I believe this forum is to educate, show finds, make some new friends, and help those that are learning or want more points.

HH to all and to all a good night.

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS

Different strokes for different folks.

I think the majority of people here are coin hunters, versus strict relic hunters. Simply put, that's it.

Joe

ashleysflyr

Jan 2, 2008
Missouri
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S MXT (and man is she hot!)

Well, there you go...you got your 10th reply...congratulations!!!
Not an over abundance of civil war relics available to dig here in Missouri...people are stingey with their land...and as soon as the historical society gets wind of a civil war battle, skirmish, fist fight...it becomes a national/state landmark. OFF LIMITS! I would love to go out and dig 1 three ringer fired from a civil war rifle compared to 50 wheat pennies, but it doesn't happen here...so I get interested in what I do encounter, and what's hard to find, but is still THERE. I still enjoy looking at all of the civil war relics...I just don't know much about them. I didn't know what an Indian Head penny was until I dug one!
As for younger people not being interested in history...especially military history...There is no comparison to digging an OLD lock, or an old harmonica reed to digging a coin. A coin is something someone dropped...an old relic is something LOST. I love diggin old relics, researching them, and cataloging them. NJNYdigger...I have to disagree with your assessment of today's youth. For the most part, if they are on this forum and metal detecting they are a step ahead of the rest of their generation! Don't get me wrong...for the most part I can't stand my generation, but..have faith...there are still a few of us that will carry on this Nation. We don't all have A.D.D...I mean...after all...I think that...OOH! SQUIRREL!!! :tongue3: :laughing7:

~Tom

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great topic. I agree with what everyone has said. I also think its where you interest are and where you have to hunt. I have metal detected for years and have never posted any of my old silver coin finds and have yet to post a certain civil war site I am working but let me find an arrowhead and I will post it in a New York second. If I was to post an old coin it would quickly disappear down the list after a few thumbs up. Maybe the Civil war stuff may last a little longer. But an arrowhead gets much discussion and debate in the artifacts section.
My point is maybe things need to be posted in the correct areas for them to be appreciated by like minds. Some people are only able to hunt clad and jewelry due to location. I am lucky because I get to pick and choose. To me each collection is special just some items are more special than others,,to me anyways :thumbsup:
Happy Huntin
TnMountains

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

This is an easy one! People prefer to reply to finds similar to what they make. It's just a numbers game.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CRUSADER said:
coloradocav said:

thats life :wink:

When is the last time you posted a rosie? :D

myfantasia1

Oct 3, 2008
Colorado, Denver
Detector(s) used
Ace 350, and now AP Pro. and AP Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I look at the relics but don't post on them. I have no clue what I am looking at. I think that if some of the posters would tell a little about what they found, it would be more interesting. At least to me. I like finding old things. But I have to know what they are. otherwise it is just junk iron to me. ???

MZKITY62

Sep 26, 2009
GENEVA COUNTY, ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2

Sorry, but I really have to chime in here. I am such a newbie and I get super excited for each and every find. Not just mine, but everyone's. You should have seen me today when I dug a 1988 quarter out of my yard. I lept for joy!!! Except for an eyeball find of a 100 bill a couple of weeks ago, all I have found with the detector is pull tabs, beer bottle caps, foil pieces and 4 modern pennies. UGH!!! I work full time, so I really don't have a whole lot of time to dig, and I have to do it by myself. There are no clubs where I live and no other nerds like me.
Really, just chill out and be excited for those of us that are new and can be excited about each and every find for everyone. I really don't think it matters how many posts it gets or if it gets on the Banner, it is how it makes you feel that matters. :icon_sunny:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

MZKITY62 said:
Sorry, but I really have to chime in here. I am such a newbie and I get super excited for each and every find. Not just mine, but everyone's. You should have seen me today when I dug a 1988 quarter out of my yard. I lept for joy!!! Except for an eyeball find of a 100 bill a couple of weeks ago, all I have found with the detector is pull tabs, beer bottle caps, foil pieces and 4 modern pennies. UGH!!! I work full time, so I really don't have a whole lot of time to dig, and I have to do it by myself. There are no clubs where I live and no other nerds like me.
Really, just chill out and be excited for those of us that are new and can be excited about each and every find for everyone. I really don't think it matters how many posts it gets or if it gets on the Banner, it is how it makes you feel that matters. :icon_sunny:

I like that : )

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Iron Patch said:
This is an easy one! People prefer to reply to finds similar to what they make. It's just a numbers game.
:thumbsup:

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You want Cheese to go with the whine?

bottlecap4t2

Aug 28, 2009

and then you have the guy's like me who like coins,relics, and this might help explain it all. the best things i like to find are "old toys" why i do not know lol. but there is something we all have in common here, and it's we all love metal detecting, and some of us history. but like one guy said in here the next younger generation is coming into the hobby, and if you notice they all like that stuff they call "bling" know i would not mind finding a nice rolex myself, but a nice 1916d or a good shape "tootsie toy" will do just fine. just one more thing we are like kids on christmas morning when we find that new virgin spot. just have fun its a great hobby. and i would love to see some of your relics. thanks. "god bless" benny.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions