Remember the wanderings around my mansion?

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For those who don't, I've had permission to hunt an old mansion that is just rife with history. Trouble is, I've been doing it for about 6 months and I'm sure it has been hunted before me.

Anyway, I was feeling a little melancholy today and thought that a gentle walk about the mansion might help. Didn't find much but it was pleasant.

I also wanted to post this because of a toy I've found here. I've found 3 of them in this place and I thought I'd ask here if anyone could put a finger on how old, etc.

Here's the take:

081313 (15).jpg
081313 (16).jpg
:dontknow:
081313 (17).jpg
This appears to have had an edge at one time. Farm implement? Tomahawk?
081313 (18).jpg
Percussion cap?
081313 (2).jpg
Used to be a knife.
081313 (0).jpg 081313 (1).jpg
I wish they would put a date on these! :BangHead:
081313 (3).jpg
081313 (4).jpg
081313 (5).jpg

081313 (6).jpg

The three horsemen.

081313 (7).jpg
This one I found today.

Fortunately, I have found an almost complete one.
Here's some close up views.

081313 (9).jpg 081313 (10).jpg 081313 (11).jpg 081313 (12).jpg 081313 (13).jpg 081313 (14).jpg

Here's some particulars that may help to ID. If we can't figure here, I'll post to the What Is It forum later.
It doesn't feel heavy enough to be lead, about 32grams. I'm thinking pewter. 1 3/4 inches by 2 inches tall.

In any case, kinda like this one.

081313 (8).jpg

Thanks for peeking and any help you can give.
HH!

Upvote 3

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice digs there whadifind, really like the figurines !

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are they hollow on the back, is the base hollow too ? Do they have mold lines ? Things like this can help you date them.... :thumbsup:
My guess is mid 1900's maybe 1930's I think I see a mold line so not pre 1900's but idk I'm still learning too. :dontknow: I hope someone can chime in and send us both in the right direction ! :notworthy:

Keep @ it and HH !! :laughing7:

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, what a beautiful, undamaged toy, way to go. He is WW1 cavalry, based on the helmet, gas mask case on his chest, and wrapped puttees on his legs. I will check my references and see if I can help with an identification. Sub 8-)

biggredd1972

Jun 1, 2013
S.E.Missouri
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter lone star

white's DFX e series with dx-1 probe
bulls eye II
Whites V3i dx-1 probe
Minelab equinox 800 Garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The farm implement item is a blade off of a sickle mower, I have dug several of these in my own yard that used to be all farm land at one time.

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I couldn't find the cavalrymen in any reference books listing the major manufacturers of metal soldiers, sorry. Because they are two dimensional (semi-flat) unpainted, and have some flashing (slag) left on them after the molding process, I think they are home made from a kit, between WW1 and WW2. The major toy manufacturers would not allow flashing to remain on a figure to be shipped out to retail, they would cut it off. Fantastic finds and I am still waiting to find MY first toy soldier with my metal detector. Sub 8-)

Bayou Joe

Mar 20, 2013
Milton Florida
Detector(s) used
GPX4500, CTX3030, Equinox 800, Excalibur II Fisher CZ21, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Gold,
Garret, Vibra Pro,
Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II, plus some old Dinosaurs.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds, sure there is plenty more to be found

arrowhead82

Dec 12, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro and Garrett Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
the percussion cap thing is a .22 short rifle round. they were used a lot in .22 pistol. nice finds!

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lead stuff Cracker Jack prizes?
The small one at least?
Great digs!
Carl

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the help guys.

I think that Subterranean probably has the best line on the figurine. All three are obviously from similar molds. Trouble is I can't figure two things out. One is that I'm unsure exactly what metal. The other is that I didn't know that they ever made a kit to make army men. ;)

Might just be me, but why wouldn't this have a weapon of some sort showing? Somewhere? Is it possible it's not WW1? I know the helmet seems like a dead give away. But, the long coat tails seems strange.

I do see some of the flashing left over from the molding but, it's not a lot. Maybe these were made by a home artisan?

Could they be pewter? How can one tell?

Thanks again, everyone!

HH!

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pretty cool finds!, those toys are neat

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lead is significantly heavier than pewter. You should be able to tell from the weight. If they are heavy in the hand likely lead, if they feel a little lighter maybe pewter. Also lead is softer too, I don't recommend bending or biting them though cause you'll damage them. Again nice finds, Keep @ it and HH !!

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lead is significantly heavier than pewter. You should be able to tell from the weight. If they are heavy in the hand likely lead, if they feel a little lighter maybe pewter. Also lead is softer too, I don't recommend bending or biting them though cause you'll damage them. Again nice finds, Keep @ it and HH !!

Yeah, that's why I thought maybe, pewter. It seems to be lighter in hand than I would expect for a lead toy of the same size. Still, it is 31 grams. :dontknow:

Thanks for trying!
HH!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread