Remembering The Best People I Ever Knew

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been working a ton recently including this morning. I've been going through some stuff that I plan on displaying when I get the office finished in my house. I came across a few items today that were given to me when I lost my grandparents. I will try to keep this as brief as possible. My grandparents owned a farm here in Maine and owned over 500 acres of land. I basically grew up on that farm. Riding around on my grandfathers knee on a big John Deere tractor, fly fishing in the pond, boiling sap in the sap house etc. I didn't appreciate it for a long time but I was so lucky to be raised in that environment. I learned the value of hard work at a very young age and more importantly I learned what it truly meant to be a good man. My grandfather retired from the warden service and worked his ass off until the day dementia just would not allow him to any more. He died long before his heart stopped beating. He was one tough sob but he was always a gentleman and ALWAYS respected women and all people for that matter. He was kind and he was fair. I once was told a story by my buddies grandfather. When he found at who my grandfather was he asked me to sit down so he could tell me about something my grandpa did for him and his family. When my grandpa was a warden he caught this guy poaching a deer. Being a warden he should have arrested him and confiscated the meat. But my grandfather knew that this family was very poor and that this man was just trying to feed his large family. So he helped the guy cut it up and let him go with his blessing. This was not the only story like that told to me. On several occasions he would deliver the meat of a deer or a moose to a family in need. He is by far the best man I ever knew....by a long shot.
So today it was a bit emotional when I found some of these items that were left to me. I thought some of you might appreciate seeing these. There's lots more that I won't get to today. They lived through the depression so they saved everything. When we opened my grandfathers safe there a large quantity of old coins in there including some very very scarce Carson City coins. Some worth a small fortune. These are located at one of my relatives house. So anyway here's a few items from today. One go the thimbles I just realized has a makers mark inside with the #8 in it. Must be a good sign :-). The wooden thing with the handle is a butter mould. I remember them making there own butter and "stamping" it with that design. The musket ball moulds are neat as well.
My life has been so crazy lately and it was nice to find this stuff and reminisce about a time when life was simple. I really miss my grandparents.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Upvote 25

I C THE LITE

Mar 11, 2013
wisconsin
Detector(s) used
minelabs- se pro and excaliber, ace250, tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice story. Your Grandpa sure sounds like a great man.

park pirate

Gold Member
May 16, 2013
City of Rensselaer (upstate NY)
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800-Explorer SE -Sovereign-GT- -Whites 6000 Di pro SL-Specturm XLT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome story Abe your grandad sure was a good man to help out that poor family i grew up poor i now what it's like may his soul rest in peace your a good man Abe thanks for sharing that story...

flatbutton

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2013
Eastern N.C.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Tesoro Sand Shark,Nautilus DMC 1, Garrett Grand Master Hunter,Garrett Master Hunter 5 , Whites Coinmaster 5000/D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice story Abe. Sounds like he was a good man

Mr.T

Sep 10, 2010
France
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to TreasureNet Ahab8-

Where u come from?

wear-what-you-like-031.jpg ?

meant as a joke - not as disrespect!

If u can't laugh

r

Last edited:

Mr.T

Sep 10, 2010
France
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jeez I only just read the thread properly- no disrespect intended! Thought you were joking! Prayers sent.

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love the story, and the personal artifacts..See thats why we should give alot of the things back..Its personal..
Sounds like your Grandfather had a gentle giant personality..Tuff on the outside soft on the in...
Thanks for sharing..Love the clay pipe and case..

plugcutter84

Oct 6, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro
Fisher 1265x
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great write up Abe, thanks for sharing your personal story with us. It's awesome that you have some of your grandfathers belongings, I'm sure you feel a personal connection to every relic you dig, but to have an artifact that was in the family is truly special. When my grandfather passed I inherited his rifle and shotgun. They are both very worn as he used them very hard, and although they're not worth much today I'd never trade them in. Thanks again for your story, good luck with work and the craziness of everyday life!

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
You're fortunate to have a grandfather so special that you can remember him this way. I have no doubt that one day there will be a young man remembering you in very much the same way.

Last edited:

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you for sharing that. In reading your story it reminds me that sometimes doing the right things isn't always following the law to a "T".

I was in the military for 20 years, and some people will do their duty without question whether it is wrong to do so. You have to weigh it. I could not see myself doing some of the things that soldiers are told to do because they were told to do so. I would question things if it wasn't right and take a fall later if need be. Kind of like the whistle blower at the prison who reported all the inhuman treatment that he saw the prisoners go through. He feared for his life after telling and could have been hurt or killed, but he did what was correct.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Great story Abe. You were truly blessed to have a grandpa like that. And he left you some really cool stuff. I initially thought at first glance that it was a clay pipe mold in the first pic (which I've never seen before except in books), but it appears to be a pipe holder instead. Still an awesome artifact.

EasternShoreMetal

Nov 21, 2014
Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro w/DD coil.
also, still have a Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice artifacts, better background for them, but even better memories and memorial to your GrandParents.
That they collected, touched and held them, saved them, and passed them on - priceless!
Thanks for sharing something so personal.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the inspirational story Abe.

Hope all is well. GL&HH.

texjim

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2009
schuylkill county pa.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites xlt,vx3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your grandparents era is the greatest generation. My good friend past away this year he was 94. He didn't waste anything and saved everything. Thanks for the story.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's nice to reminisces now and then it keeps us grounded. Your grand parents are from a time when people were real, knew how to work hard for what counted. A rare breed of people now days, sorely lacking in today's society.
You are Blessed to have had them in your life, be happy for that.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My grandfather meant the world to me too, Abe. We lost him 41 years ago this Christmas night, and I still miss him terribly. Very nice tribute to yours.

TxThunter

Jul 29, 2012
Midlothian, Tx
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, White's 5900/d
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like all those items, but my passion is glass. That snail ink is a beaut. That nurser / baby bottle is also very nice. I can picture your ancestors sucking on a black or red rubber hose attached to that thing. My how times have changed. Very sentimental for sure. Thanks for sharing and have a Merry Christmas. May many trees come your way next year. RC

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great post.

That's some really awesome stuff and even more awesome given the fact who they came from.

I can really relate to not appreciating how you grow up until you can see it in hindsight. I was about 25 when I truly realized and appreciated what a charmed life I had been blessed with growing up where I did; out in the country. I still love the place.

I'm sure it's bittersweet going through that stuff but I'm also sure that they're smiling down on you and being happy that you not only have these things, but appreciate their TRUE value.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions