Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
The first metal detector video ever linked to this site was one featuring a Nautilus metal detector.

I owned 4 over the years. I sold my last one about 4 years ago. It was the model DMC IIb.

American made...constructed entirely at the Tyndall Electronic factory in Coats, North Carolina.

Anyone else here ever use a Naughty?

I made some great finds with my machines. I also had my share of issues with them as well.

Comments?

Badger Naut.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Hum? No interest? Maybe in the wrong category.

They still are making these machines and the small number who use them are fiercely devoted to them.

Last edited:

Daedalus

Feb 2, 2011
Strafford , Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT / MineLab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first machine was a Tyndall , they did not use the name Nautilus at that time . I do not know when they changed the name.
But I really did like the machine and it still pulls out a lot of Relics still to this day. Nautilus that is .
When you have it right then keep it that way , that is why it still works so well .

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes, I also liked most I bought. I did have a few issues though I never resolved. I only owned the DMC IIb model (4 of them over about 10 years).

Pros:

1. Good depth potential in many locations (not all). It wasn't my deepest machine but usually depth was better than most brands/models.

2. A true American made unit.

3. I liked the metal case and quality knobs (it's so ugly it's cute) :)

Cons:

1. The machine was very much negatively affected by many external factors such as humidity, electrical interference, etc. Many times I was unable to properly adjust the machine and had to give up a hunt. This is the reason I purchased so many of them. I kept thinking I had a defective unit. I'd send one in to be repaired and it was no better when I got it back. So I sold it and bought another...etc. I found that all were the same.

2. The search coil is not designed for submersion. It's not really "waterproof."

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola
Whites XLT Minelab Quattro Minelab Xterra 50 Fisher Id Edge
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
They always looked to me like you need a degree in Engineering to operate one.

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
They always looked to me like you need a degree in Engineering to operate one.

I know what you mean. But actually it's a very simple machine. But sometimes the simple part refuses to cooperate with conditions. No matter how well one understands those knobs it still won't adjust properly. That's the really irritating part.

Personally, give me modern technology. This is a change for me because I used to rather favor the "old clunkers" but due to my own tests I've done a complete turnabout. I still say that actual depth hasn't really changed all that much in the past decade. What has changed is the target separating abilities. Used in conjunction with the human brain; today's newer and "smarter" machines can give one a definite edge by finding that which was once masked by trash.

In many heavily hunted areas, the ability to separate is almost the whole ballgame. Anyway, that's how I see it now.

Some manufactures are staying with the old technology and that's fine. If people want that then it's there for them.

Last edited:

Diggit

Mar 25, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, DFX, GMT and Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Love those old detectors! Sadly I never used any of the VLF machines, my first machine was a Bounty Hunter in the 90s.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread