Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've never seen this...my wife found it on FB. Neat idea but usually something that is built to do it all is lacking in some area(s). Anyone use one yet?

kamp rite tent cot.jpg

This one looks similar but not enough pictures to confirm...

http://www.amazon.com/Kamp-Rite-Ten...sim_468_9?ie=UTF8&refRID=1SSK5CQMC3CRMR4X70HF

weighs 28.4 pounds.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I haven't used that particular design Jeff but the tent cots are quite effective in the desert. Also saves clearing a tent spot.
Keeping off the hot ground is a good thing. :thumbsup:
The air temperature here was 91 degrees at 3am last night. Ground temps around 102 degrees. That 10 degree difference is huge when you need sleep.

Heavy Pans

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Bass Pro Shops carry them in single and double wide models. And yes... very pricey. Might be worth it for me to get one to go INSIDE my regular tent for extra protection from those Assassin Bugs that I'm allergic to! I'm tired of looking like the Stay-Puffed Marshmallow man!!!!

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
well I guess I could sleep in a over under position! :)

I'm having trouble shaking this image of a burlap bag with a couple cats inside... :laughing7:

delnorter

Oct 28, 2008
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes Jeff, I used a friends enclosed cot last hunting season. It was a Cabelas brand and worked really well. It truly shined in keeping the mosquitoes away.

If the bugs aren't bad, I have and my like 2 old, wood and gold canvas army cots. With a foam pad these are really comfortable and warm. I recently found an online company that sell replacement canvas for them. Mine are pretty old with a few duck tape patches here and there.

My camp trailer now serves me best unless I go to remote camp areas not suited to pull the trailer to.

Mike

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeff,
As a long time Camper in seriously wild outback places I shall offer some thoughts based on my experiences.

I've camped on the desert out of Barstow but higher up, that is on the desert like right on it. I was only out a couple three nights and never went back but even with night snakes and spiders none of the four of us had any problems. This was in the summer but I suspect it was nothing like Clay's situation where the sand was over 100.

Having purchased one of those magic fold up chair/cots from Costco I did a car camping trip above "MY Canyon" in NorCal. Found the rocks really injured the metal frame so I modified it by putting pipe insulating slit foam over the bars that touch the ground. After installing I used Gorilla Tape to wrap the foam in and I've never worried about the rocks again. I did notice that I had to 'smooth' the ground out a little or else the chair could tip over (sorta like two cats in a burlap sack). These things aside, if the construction and materials are solid and the bugs are really bad then why not.

But, then again, how much does the cot/tent cost as compared to a reasonably good actual backpacking tent purchased on sale from a company like/similar to REI? At one of their extravaganza sales where they sell off model close outs (like the new model is coming and we want to get rid of the olds one at really LOW prices) I purchased a one man tent, geodesic dome free standing (no pegs required unless one is in heavy wind) type with a single door (not for folks that are claustrophobic) for $35.00. My question to myself at the time was how many should I purchase. This was for a NEW never used Tent complete with all tent accessories. So I put it up at home and loved it. I've backpacked it into the NFAR many years now, have had to put patches over a couple of holes in the floor but no other issues and once the door is zipped shut (treat your zippers with respect as when it fails the bugs get a free pass at you) you turn on your light (assuming you've been star gazing by the fire just enjoying the sound of the river and don't get into the tent till its dark out) and kill all the mosquitoes that came in with you and you are bug free for the night.

The new tents are easy to put up by one person, even while raining, and with simple care they last.

The other thing I can think of is that along the NFAR I've had a couple of tent/bear issues and I don't think the cot tent would survive one of those, just too much for the bears curiosity to play with.

And of course it looks bulky and a bit hefty so if you carry it far it might not be fun. Of course if you have a very convenient way of carrying it like strapping it to an external frame pack frame (no pack just the frame with all the straps & belt) then likely it will carry well. And "I" would certainly not want to carry anything bulky and heavy(HA, HA).

Have fun Jeff and share with us your adventures should you purchase a Cot Tent. All my best wishes to ya...........................63bkpkr

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread