May 8, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
whites GMT
tek.alpha2000
Nokta Fores Core
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I rented an mxt to use for the weekend and while detecting some dirt got into the crack between the cover and coil which I want to clean out so I can return it clean. Anyway is there a trick to getting the coil cover off?

Crappies-n-Coins

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2015
N/W MS
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, DeLeon, Cibola(s), Compadre, Fisher 1265x, Garrett II PinPointer
Primary Interest:
Other
I wouldn't, clean it up best you can, let them deal with it. Damage the coil, that's on you.

OP
OP
eureka77

eureka77

May 8, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
whites GMT
tek.alpha2000
Nokta Fores Core
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The grass was wet too, I think some moisture is in there between the two. Hate to leave it in there but if it's that tedious I'll just clean best I can.

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm with CnC. I'd tell them about and let them do it. I clean mine often but it is easy to break if you're not careful. I have a broken one to prove it.

HH, Relic Nut

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya, what they said. I have a coil cover on my M6 & it is a pain to remove, I have to use 2 flat screw drivers. Seeing as it's a rental, leave it and just mention it.

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Broke my coil cover removing it. One little crack on its edge is all it takes. I refuse to buy another one. Taped it back on.

rickster

Greenie
Nov 23, 2015
chicago il
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter quick silver- Ace250 - Whites M-6 - at Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Use 2 old credit card. Slip them in between the cover and coil and work them in oppsite directions applying some down pressure. that is how I get my covers off without damaging the coils

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very few members rent detectors, the rest of us own detectors. I recommend after each use, remove the cover even if the coil is clean, then replace to cover before use.

Crappies-n-Coins

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2015
N/W MS
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, DeLeon, Cibola(s), Compadre, Fisher 1265x, Garrett II PinPointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Very few members rent detectors, the rest of us own detectors. I recommend after each use, remove the cover even if the coil is clean, then replace to cover before use.

Or don't use one. Just another unnecessary expense.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Or don't use one. Just another unnecessary expense.

Definitely always use a coil cover. Slide your bare coil across a rock or two and you have gouges. If they are deep enough they can affect the function of the coil. I know this because I wrecked the first coil I had on my Tiger shark within the first three months I had it by hunting rocky shore lines without a cover. That was eight years ago and my replacement coil is still perfect because unless I am in the water, the cover is on.

Also, if you want to get top value if you ever sell your detector, you want your coil to be free from any scratches.

Crappies-n-Coins

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2015
N/W MS
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Definitely always use a coil cover. Slide your bare coil across a rock or two and you have gouges. If they are deep enough they can affect the function of the coil. I know this because I wrecked the first coil I had on my Tiger shark within the first three months I had it by hunting rocky shore lines without a cover. That was eight years ago and my replacement coil is still perfect because unless I am in the water, the cover is on.

Also, if you want to get top value if you ever sell your detector, you want your coil to be free from any scratches.

I don't scrub abrasive stuff with mine. Don't sell 'em either. I say do whatever one likes, not my money :thumbsup:

kebo (scnative)

Mar 7, 2015
Lexington, SC
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero; Tesoro Conquistador uMax; Teknetics Omega 8000, Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
Other
We build transformers and/or coil windings where I work at and almost all of them either get dipped in varnish, or get encapsulated in epoxy. Most detector coils I've seen have the windings encapsulated with an epoxy (usually on the bottom). The plastic coil housing is hollow to start with, the coils are wound on a form, and then placed into the coil housing. Then the housing gets encapsulated, which serves a couple purposes. It protects the windings, and it prevents the windings from moving relative to each other, which could drive you nuts with falsing as you sweep the coil. The cover is there really to protect the encapsulation material, assuming it is exposed on the bottom. If you don't use a coil cover, as someone mentioned already, you could put a deep nick or scratch in the epoxy and possibly break the magnet wire that forms the coil winding.

Crappies-n-Coins

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2015
N/W MS
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
If you don't use a coil cover, as someone mentioned already, you could put a deep nick or scratch in the epoxy and possibly break the magnet wire that forms the coil winding.

I guess if I used a cover, and went out and beat it against a pile of rocks, the coil could still be damaged?

LOL, seriously, someone swinging hard and wildly enough to damage a coil should reconsider their methods.....and switch to decaf :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread